United States
Danskin
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 48s
Overall Rank = 312/439
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 60/78
Pre-race routine:

My friend Jennifer and I went down to Miami Saturday for the race expo and planned to do a practice swim. On the way there it started pouring rain and hardly stopped for the rest of the day so we never got to swim. It was OK - we saw where we were swimming and it was flat as a lake. Unfortunately, we also saw the bridge we had to go over 4 times - it was HUGE!! I was petrified - I don't know how you northern people do hills like this.

We had dinner at the yummiest restaurant- Prime Italian - to get our carbs in. It was fun to be out in Miami with no kids. We had a nice fancy dinner, people watched and even had a glass of wine and dessert - fried oreos!!

Event warmup:

Woke up at 4:45am. Went over to the course with plenty of time to spare. Gave me a chance to relax and not feel rushed. Right away we heard someone on the PA system saying that due to the weather (we were surrounded in black clouds and there was some lightning) they were shortening the swim to 1/4 mile from 1/2 mile (yay!) and shortening the bike from 20 miles to 10 miles (YAY!!! - Only have to do the bridge two times!!!) I would have had a super tough time if I had to do the 1/2 mile and 20 miles.

Set up my transition, then re-set up my transition when Janice saw it was way too big and spread out!! (it's been a long time since I've done a tri!)

Someone noticed my front brakes were rubbing (even though I had them fixed twice this week!) Went to the bike mechanics and they tried to fix it, turns out my new wheel is bent. :( They did what they could though.

Went down to the swim start and got in the water for a few minute. Ran into my friend Julie who I forgot was doing the race then just waited for the start.
Swim
  • 09m 42s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

I stupidly started kind of in the middle of the group. I never do that because I don't like getting kicked and I do almost all breast stroke and I need more space. Right away I was kicked a bunch of times and tried to get out of the group, but I was kind of blocked in. My friend and I were trying to stay near each other but she stayed in the middle so I lost her. I finally had to tread water for a minute so I could find a spot to sneak out to the outside edge. That might have cost me a tiny bit of time but it was worth it, I was so much happier when I had my space and could breast stroke away.

I did WAY better than I expected! I only had to stop and side stroke a few times and I actually passed quite a few people even though I wasn't doing the crawl. :)
What would you do differently?:

Practice and start where I am comfortable
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

This was slow. I had put my stuff in a garbage bag because of the high chance of rain - that took me a few extra seconds to pull everything out. Then my sock fell out of my show back into the bag so I couldn't find it for a second! I also needed to catch my breath from the swim so I was pretty slow here.

I was very happy with myself that I ran the whole way from the swim to the bike because I normally walk my transitions to catch my breath.

Be better at swimming so I don't need to catch my breath!
Bike
  • 43m 10s
  • 10.3 miles
  • 14.32 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a little tough for me. I had only gone biking twice before the race with my longest ride being 7.5 miles! (can you tell I didn't train for this race?!)

The course was a loop on one road with a huge (1 mile long and HIGH) bridge pretty close to the start. We had to go over the bridge, down a little bit and make a U-turn, then right back up the bridge again. I was scared I'd have to walk my bike - I never go over bridges and we don't have hills in south FL. But I made it - both ways!!! It was tougher the first time because of the direction of the wind- and it was pretty windy out there with that storm looming. I would love to know how slow I was going but my bike computer wasn't working. Going down was pretty scary - I was going so fast (don't know speed but my friend was going 31 which is the fastest I've ever gone!)

Rest of the course was flat except for a smaller bridge. Oh - my brake started to run again right away. And since my wheel was wet (from going through puddles) it made the worst squeaking noise! More than half way into it I couldn't take it anymore and pulled over to try to fix it. I got it done then took off again - the squeak came back in a minute or so!

I had to go by feel since I had no computer, but it was probably better because I tried to stay at a comfortable pace so I would make it through the run. I did pass quite a few people - mostly on mountain bikes but I'll take it!!

Bike more than twice in a year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Faster than T1. :) Easy since I wear running shoes the whole race. Ran with my bike and ran out, so I was happy with that again.

Nothing
Run
  • 33m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a nice course - I actually enjoyed the trail part. The whole course was covered in trees so we had nice shade. I shuffled my way through it. I was hurting by now, but I knew if I stopped I wouldn't get going again. Not totally happy with my run time, but I was so proud I ran the whole way even if it was a shuffle!! And what can I expect doing this thing without training.

Train
Post race
Warm down:

Waited until they opened transition then went back to the hotel. Grabbed quick showers and went to get some lunch before we headed home to the kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I never practice!

Event comments:

I really liked this race. The longer course would have been nice if I had trained for it, but I am so glad they shortened it! My friend had a great time and she's ready to sign up for another one with me! She trained a good amount for this one and she beat me by 9 minutes. 1 minute on the swim, 4 on the bike and 4 on the run.

We're thinking of doing another race on the same course in October- we may try to talk the husbands into doing it with us.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:42 | 440 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/78
Overall: 0/439
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:10 | 10.3 miles | 14.32 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: One loop on a road closed to traffic
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:50 | 03.1 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back, 90% paved, 10% trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-31 1:59 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: SheRox Triathlon

2009-06-01 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2184420

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: SheRox Triathlon
Finally a tri race report from you!!
Great job Amy!  How does the bridge compared the the hill at Danskin?
You'd better take your bike back to the shop and get new wheel for free!
Nice photo!
2009-06-01 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2184420

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: RE: SheRox Triathlon
Thanks, DK!  I hadn't thought about that hill in a while!   I don't know if I can compare it since I had to walk it back then.  But, if I remember correctly, the Webster hills were much shorter but a lot steeper.  The bridge in Miami is not very steep, it's pretty gradual, but it is long!

I just checked my old race reports and realized you are right, I never finished my old tri ones!    I'll have to go back and at least put in my times, because I don't have them written down anwhere. 

I did find out that this race was a PR for me by almost 7 minutes. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SheRox Triathlon Rss Feed