Pacific Coast Trail Runs
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 04m 1s
Overall Rank = 34/53
Age Group = all
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Orange, banana, toast, and soy milk for breakfast, wanted to keep it light, since I ate a large meal late the previous night.
Event warmup:

15 minutes of easy stretches, quick jog around parking lot.
Run
  • 7h 04m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 16m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

The first hour was a single file hike up the mountain. Then at around mile 5 it opened up a little. I was barely keeping up with the 50 miler group, those guys are amazing. SOme were out for a mere training day preparing for a 100MILER in 3 weeks! A lot of run down/walk up. I was no used to changing speeds so often. Aid stations were amazing sites and the volunteers fantastic. THANKS! The miles got way longer toward the end as usual. The downs became unbearable.
What would you do differently?:

The two water bottles with hand straps where required gear. I would definitely add another waist type 3rd bottle for more hydration. And a hat, no for the sun as much as keeping the sweat out of my eyes. And I need some of those sock covers things to keep the pebbles out of my shoes. And I thought tose people looked odd in the beginning. I ran out of water on the last 8 mile stretch and was slipping fast but a generous passer gave me half a bottle. And the stream I nearly went swimming in at about 24 saved me from the heat. Otherwise, I probably would not be concious just yet.
Post race
Warm down:

Fell down and thanked the lord it was over, then drenched myself in cold water and ate and ate and ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A first hot day in a while threw me for a curve and I quickly wasn't prepared as the day heated up. The uphills actually were not that bad and I was prepared for the distance. BUT I needed a lot more downhill trail practice, as my thighs were beyond fatiqued and my poor black toes can attest to being hammered into the fronts of my trail shoes. Mistaking one last aid station near the end nearly put me in the hospital. Luckily, I was well hydrated early on and ate pleanty during the run or I would not have been able to traverse 21-24 with no water as I did.

Event comments:

My first serious trail run proved a tougher challenge than imagined. Kind of just the way I like it. I could of trained more, sure, ran more trails definitely, but overall I am very happy with completing the ordeal and would not have changed a thing, except maybe add another aid station @ mile 23 or so. AWESOME race if you can meet the challenge. If you can run marathon you have a chance but its way more than a simple marathon run. The uphills are not nearly as difficult as the descents, practice some narrow trail downhilling and you will understand. I never worked so hard for a T-shirt in my life. I am going to be pretty sore from this. Fun, fun, fun!

Last updated: 2005-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
07:04:01 | 26.2 miles | 16m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 34/53
Performance:
My goal was to keep my HR between 160-165 which is my comfortable 8.5 min/mile rate. I quickly found that briskly walking up the steep single-track pushed that limit. So with the rest I alternated running flats/downs and walking the steep ups.
Course: It is a very challenging course. Something like 7950 total climbing. We hit the summit at about the 10mile mark the first time and then down and back up to the summit around 18. Then the final 8 mostly down, down, down, small up then down, down, down with a couple of other smaller climbs with a bunch of decent rolling hills. Most of the course was on narrow single track trails with breaks of fireroads and short paved sections. Aid stations every 10k or so, breathtaking views in every direction as you tested your metal on the SF Bays toughest peak. Not for beginners.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1.5
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes