St. Pete Mad Dogs
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 5s
Overall Rank = 163/900
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/86
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 3ish and didn't want to get out of bed. I didn't sleep well for the past 2 days and last night the neighbors just happened to have a karaoke party outdoors with loudspeakers and lots of young kids. Luckily I couldn't hear too much from my bedroom, but did get up around 12:30 after not falling asleep, I had some water and went back to bed and was able to get a couple hours sleep. I had some granola cereal for breakfast, brushed my teeth and loaded up the car. I was out of the house and 3:45 and stopped by to pick up some money and hit the road. When I got to the sight, I parked the car and hit the bathroom. Got back to the car and put my numbers on everything and pumped up my tires. Right as I pulled off the pump off the back tire I hear a pfffff! Damn, flat, pulled the stem off again, stupid pump. So I swapped out the tube and filled it up being extremely careful not to pull of the stem again. Good thing I keep extra tubes in the car, but I was nervous I hate anything new on race day. I took the bike and my bag to transition, got marked up and set up my transition. After setup, I went back to the car and ate half a bagel, perfect, cause I was getting hungry.
Event warmup:

No real warmup, I did swim out to the first bouy and got used to the water. Water temp was perfect.
Swim
  • 13m 30s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went better than I expected, very fast considering I have only been in the water 3 times since breaking my hand back in Feb. Good thing I had a good base before the break. The swim was very chaotic at the start, swimming over people, in the first 50m I had my goggles kicked off, but after about 400 I was in a good groove. I was able to get on someone feet for a while and later on someone armpit. I was bumping into people though along the whole swim and took some saltwater on and did some breath/gag's after the second half. I hate salt water, bleck! I did have some problems finding the ground as I turned towards the beach, but swam in until I was sure it was there.
What would you do differently?:

Had I actually had some time swimming I know I would have been faster, but I don't think it would have made that much of a differance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

T1 went great, I didn't mount my shoes on the bike but did the flying mount which went great. I didn't do too much thinking and everything went great!

I think I can go faster in T1, but overall I am happy
Bike
  • 41m 19s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow there are fast people on the bike. I did all that I could but still had a bunch of people pass me. Most of the time, my speedometer was at 22mph and was still getting passed. But I did all that I could and kept a good pace. I felt great and didn't feel like I was pegging my HR. One thing was that I forgot the distance and saw someone loosen their shoes at mile 13, so I thought they were getting ready to step out of their shoes and I followed by loosening the velcro, after a mile I realized, it wasn't a 14 mile and was 15, so I tightened the shoes again and hammered on. I was able to get out of the shoes and dismount great!

Know the distance, but it didn't matter too much. I rocked on this ride. I'm very happy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

T2 went great, was a little slow putting socks on and trying to turn the footpod on, which didn't turn on, so I just went by feel. I'm happy with my T2, but can go faster.

I think I can go faster.
Run
  • 24m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well. I took my pace and held it. I think the new bike fit was perfect I've never felt better off the bike than today, after a half mile, I was in my form and running well, no blown up HR. Right before hitting the beach, I saw my friend, but didn't think I could catch him, but he was in sight. As the run went on, I was getting closer and in the final 100 yards, I passed him. It was great, he said "Great run" and finished behind me a few seconds. I felt great.

Nothing, it was perfect.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water and about 5 minutes afterwards, I started thinking about the salt water I drank and gagged and nearly puked, but was able to maintain. I didn't do too much cool down, just walked around and chatted with some friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not hitting the pool, but everything else was perfect. It couldn't have gone better.

Event comments:

I love this race. It's a great size and the community really gets behind it. I will do this annually.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:30 | 880 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/86
Overall: 0/900
Performance: Good
Don't have any my watch didn't function except for time.
Suit: 2XU race suit
Course: Coastline swim along shore. Very easy to sight.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:19 | 15 miles | 21.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/86
Watch didn't pick up HR.
Wind: None
Course: The course was fast with very few corners, nicely paved roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:29 | 03.1 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/86
HR didn't work.
Course: Half road/Half Beach. The road was starting to feel a little warm, but once we made the turn, the wind was perfect. The beach run was much better than last year, plenty of room to run and was flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-31 9:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
Subject: Madeira Beach Mad Dog Triathlon

2009-06-01 4:51 AM
in reply to: #2185219

User image

Veteran
St. Pete
Subject: RE: Madeira Beach Mad Dog Triathlon
great report and great race. just an FYI the traffic light at 162nd Ave and gulf blvd is aprox. 1/2 mile to go.Smile

the run down the beach was 100% better than last year but last year wasn't there a little jog in the run? ie. making it a bit father?
2009-06-01 5:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Great job! I enjoyed your race report. This was my first year doing this event and I found it to be a competitve and challenging sprint! The Tampa area has some amazing triathletes.

May I ask where you found your race splits at? Even at the awards ceremony only the finish times were posted. I keep checking active.com's results page, but nothing is showing for this event there as well. Thanks!
2009-06-01 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2185512

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
Here are the results
http://www.altavistasports.com/results/2009results/madbeach053109.html

Thank you all. I don't remember the jog in run last year, but last year, I died during this race. 
2009-06-01 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Oh jeez! For whatever reason, I thought the results were on active.com! Grrr.... THANK YOU so much for helping me out with the link.
2009-06-01 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
great race and great report. I enjoyed reading it.

we both have the same problem, need to hit the water more often.
I'm doing FFW Sarasota next weekend.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madeira Beach Mad Dog Triathlon Rss Feed