General Discussion Race Reports! » Paddle, Pedal & Pound the Pavement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Paddle, Pedal & Pound the Pavement - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grapevine, Texas
United States
HotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 32s
Overall Rank = 93/137
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had some oatmeal. Got to race a little later than I wanted around 6:30am, after making a wrong turn.
Event warmup:

Set up my TA and went through each transition in my head. Jogged to truck to get helmet I left behind and back. Then I did some light stretching.
Swim
  • 06m
  • 300 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

From the first lap I couldn't find my rhythm. I had a bad seal on my goggles and started leaking half way through the swim. Went slower than I would have liked, but didn't get passed.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing I guess. I tried to fight through the poor start and I finished okay. Although I was hoping for more around the 5:30 time this discipline.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I got a little caught up trying to get my shirt on correctly. I used a racebelt this year, so the number didn't cause the trouble, just the tighter cycling jersey. No issues running with bike or mounting. I got into the cages on the bike fairly well. Could have been more perfect, but I'm pleased. 6/16 in my division on T1 time, 48/137 OA

My goal time for T1 was 1 minute, but I thought this was a pretty smooth transition.
Bike
  • 53m 22s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 13.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Where to begin... This was an absolute horrible bike for me. When I started, I couldn't get my groove just right, but I pushed myself and was averaging 15 mph. After 5 miles on the bike, I started to slow down and just couldn't get myself pumped up to kick it into gear. Somewhere around mile 8 I made a corner coming down a hill into another quick uphill. Needless to say, I was tearing through gears on both sides. My chain popped off track and jammed between my rear fork and sprocket. I tried to jam it with the pedals to unlock it, but nothing. I had to stop and get off the bike and fix it. I couldn't pull it out but I was finally able to manuever the pedals while moving the chain and work it out. Then I had to get it started back on the track. When I got back on the bike I had to find the right gear and carefully shift from this point forward. I'm not sure how much time all this took exactly, but it was several minutes. It also frustrated me and made me want to give up. On the rest of the bike I wasn't able to pick it up enough to make up for this slow-down. My pace was all over the place and I was passed often. I finished 8 minutes over my goal pace, averaging 13.9 mph.

My first thought was I need a new bike! But in all reality, stuff like this happens and I handled it okay outside of being able to recover with my performance. Bottom line: I need more bike practice, especially with hills!
Transition 2
  • 00m 24s
Comments:

Not a lot of problems in T2 other than I almost missed the entrance. After the bike, I was kinda out of it and I ended up slamming on the brakes and hopping off the bike right at the entrance with volunteers yelling at me. My legs were heavy running my bike into the TA, but I racked and removed my helmet and headed back out with no problems. OA I was 4/137 in T2 time and 1/16 in my division

Not a lot differently, perhaps pay more attention to the entrance!
Run
  • 32m 11s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldn't find my rhythm on the run. I should have gotten one last drink on the last hill of the bike, but I didn't so I went into the run needing a drink. It turns out there was only 1 aid station with water and gaterade. I slowed down, had a cup of both and was back on my way. My run wasn't very good either and I made myself walk a few times for a minute or so to catch my breath and get a fresh start. This is not like me at all. I typically force myself to finish things even if it means not listening to my body or suffering more for doing so. I wanted to average 7min 45sec miles, but with the walking and my lack of hydration, 8:39 was not horribly bad. I sprinted the last 100ish meters and finished strong despite the fact that I felt like I could throw up at any minute. My run was below average, but I am pleased with it considering the bike and my hydration. My goal was about 28 minutes, so I was 4 minutes off over just under 4 miles.

Get one more drink before I got off the bike. Have a better bike so I could have performed better on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked for a minute to cool down, got some water and other hydration and sat down. I did some light stretching then mostly sat down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Looking back, if my bike performance were better I think I would have been very happy with the rest of the event. Bottom line I should have gotten more practice on hills and with speed work on the bike. Outside of this, more practice on EVERYTHING never hurt anyone.

Event comments:

The event was more organized than last year, but I still didn't like the open course with mass confusion at times as people were in the way, etc. We started a few minutes late, but wasn't too big of a deal. Packet pickup was organized. Post-race goodies weren't anything special. Gaterade, bananas, and make-your-own sandwiches. Who's going to make their own sandwich?!?!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:00 | 300 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 64/137
Performance: Below average
Suit: Speedo shorts
Course: 25 meter pool; 6 lane, snake
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:22 | 12.43 miles | 13.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 121/137
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Fairly hilly course, not closed to traffic (coned lanes) or to pedestrians, other cyclists, or runners. This was a little frustrating as turns around blind corners were a little nerve-racking.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:11 | 03.73 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 79/137
Performance: Below average
Course: Very similar to the bike course. Open to traffic, pedestrians, joggers, and cyclists.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes