Canada
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 30s
Overall Rank = 32/41
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Had a good breakfast some oatmeal and fruit...sipped on some gatorade. Got to event early to make sure I wasn't stressed. Socialized a bit.

Event warmup:

Basically the walk from the transition to the beach :)
Swim
  • 24m 36s
  • 500 meters
  • 04m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Ohhh can I comment on this. I was feeling really good about my OW swimming ability. At least I knew I could swim 500m proficiently. For some reason I had an anxiety attack and was hyperventilating. I was encouraged by my Wife and others on the side to finish and figured since I am not a quitter that I would struggle on. I held on to the side of the breakwall to try and catch my breath...but as anyone who has had an anxiety attack knows, you can't.
I kept telling myself that if I just kept swimming I would float in my wetsuit and life would be good, but as soon as I stuck my face in the water I would panic and start hyperventilating again...pretty crazy.

I focused on my swim alot over the winter and was feeling very confident that once I hit the open water I would be fine. I was doing some pretty hefty workouts in the pool and thought that would translate into great OWS abilities. NOPE....Needless to say I freaked out, which for me is not normal in anything I do. I can run into a burning building and not have my heartrate go up too much. It is as soon as I cannot touch the bottom I freeze.
It relates back to a time when I was younger, drinking at the beach and doing an impossible swim from a breakwall to a beach where I almost drown. Someone had to pull me to the beach because I pretty much was going down. I can't get it out of my head!!!!
What would you do differently?:

The only thing I can do is practise OWS in areas that are deeper. My Wife is going to buy a Kayak and paddle along side of me in some deeper water.
I also am going to learn how to tread water, which is a skill I have never learned to get a bit more confident in the water. Lastly I have made an appointment with a Sports Pyschologist to help me with the mental aspect of my races!

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Took my time through the transition to try and calm down.
Bike
  • 58m 10s
  • 30 kms
  • 30.95 km/hr
Comments:

Well if I wouldn't have used up my energy panicking and hyperventalating on the swim I may have had more energy on the bike. Considering the time took in the T1 and T2 times I did well I guess. I have done this same course much faster in training.
I passed quite a few ppl on the bike and that made me feel like I was kind of back in the race a bit.

Not waste all of my energy on the swim!!!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

could be faster in T2 a couple of people beat me out cause I took too much time putting my socks on and figiting around... I think I tripped on some of Tabb's stuff ;)

go faster
Run
  • 26m 9s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

Took it slow at first feeling out of energy. Once I hit 2.5kms I felt great and really pushed forward. I passed a few ppl and kept my eye ahead trying to pick off more. By the 4th km I was running a 4:20 pace and sprinted to the finish. I should have tried to run a 4:30 pace through the whole thing but I was worried about bonking!

Run faster!!!!
Post race

Last updated: 2008-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:36 | 500 meters | 04m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 40/41
Performance: Bad
Suit: xterra
Course: nice river swim
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:10 | 30 kms | 30.95 km/hr
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 21/41
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course was flat and had some sketchy pavement sections
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:09 | 05 kms | 05m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 27/41
Performance: Good
Course: flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-02 12:02 PM

Subject: Belle River Triathlon & Duathlon

2009-06-02 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2189392

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Belle River Triathlon & Duathlon
Wow, Jeff!! Sorry to hear about the panic attack. Way to go for finishing the swim; you really did a great job. And finished super strong on the run - great stuff!!
2009-06-02 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

Stick with it Jeff, it will come. If you read race reports it is amazing how many people have anxiety attacks in their first few OW swim races. Having tons of pool swimming fitness does not seeem to make any difference. With some people it seems to be sticking your face into cold, murky water that is the trigger, so it may improve as water temperaturs increase or in clearer water. Others find the restriction around the chest due to the wetsuit and/or a HRM is the problem. When I was starting the key was to find some open water with few people around, and then focus on a slow stroke rate with lots of gliding, particularly at the swim start. If I allowed my heart rate to start going up, and my breathing rate to increase, I would have problems. I wear a heart rate monitor in races and my HR is always about 20 bpm lower in the swim than the run or bike.

Dave

2009-06-02 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Your time was still strong! 

Now, back to the OWS to practice!
2009-06-02 12:59 PM

Wow, you all are pretty awesome...or really bored? I haven't had the report up for very long and already have some great feedback.

Thank you all very much.

2009-06-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2189565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

I think a lot of us started out with the same issues, so we want you to work your way through it and see what a great sport this is once you get more comfortable in the water.

2009-06-02 1:13 PM

Veteran
Windsor, Ontario via the Detroit Tunnel
If you can get me to bike as fast as you, I will help you get comfortable in the water. Great job on the finish. I think alot of people would have never made it to T1.
2009-06-02 3:14 PM

User image

Way to stay committed Jeff!!!  Most people would of given up for sure.
You pushed through it and I commend you for that because I know I wouldn't of been able to push through it. 

Again Great Job and post something when you are wanting to go back to Cedar Beach for a swim.

David

2009-06-03 1:13 PM

User image

Amherstburg Ontario
Jeff, I quit at the tomatoman over the same type of situation. The week before I had done 2k OWS with a couple people and was fairly proficient swimmer after lots of time in lake St Clair. I got in the harbour in Leamington, got kicked, drank some water went to put my feet down and completely lost my because I could not touch, I started trying to pull off my wetsuit because I thought it was choking me and thank God came to my senses and grabbed a jet ski and got out. Until that happened it never occurred to me that I have never swam in water above my head that was not a pool.

The other big thing I was missing was not wearing a watch in the water. My Garmin is mounted to my bike and had I had a watch on and realized everything happened in 2-3 minutes as opposed to the 30-40 minutes that it felt like I may have been OK. I am now mentally prepared for the water and made my retribution at Lakeside last year.

You are not alone, do not beat yourself up and plan retribution day on June 21 in Leamington. Tell yourself it is only 6 minutes from buoy to buoy and anyone can swim for 6 minutes.

PS search a swim safe belt if you are looking for the added security. It may be a little bulky but it may give you the piece of mind you need.

Dave
2009-06-03 3:01 PM

I have cleared my schedule and will be in Leamington on the 21st.

Thank you for the advise!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belle River Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed