United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 27s
Overall Rank = 15/109
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Nothing unusual. Loaded the car and left the house around 5:00 AM to arrive on site around 7:00. Had a cliff bar about 45 min prior to start on top of the three granola bars I had for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Picked up my race packet, helped a couple of people work on their bike, set up transition and just walked around a bit. Swam a little over 150 yds just to loosen up my left shoulder.
Swim
  • 19m 34s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Disappointing swim but ok, not any where near my best. I got boxed in by some slower swimmers for the first 300 yds, and it took a while to clear them. Then I got some "swamp weed" stuck on my chip around the second buoy, and it felt like I was carrying an anchor for the last 400 yds, but it is an Xterra right? I probably should have stopped to clear it, but I was stubborn.
What would you do differently?:

Should have started a little harder. Sighting and drafting was ok, but I should not have gotten boxed in like that, especially since I knew who the fast guys in my AG where, but I could not find them on the beach to follow like I did at Uhwarrie.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

T1 time included a 1/4 mile bare foot run up from the beach to the transition area. A little rocky, but I found out from last year, where to run to avoid the majority of the nasty stuff. Definitely beat putting on shoes like I saw some others doing.

Not much, I passed about 6 people on the short run, that is 6 fewer people to pass on the single track. Ended up with around the 3rd fastest T1 time overall. Free time!
Bike
  • 1h 26m 37s
  • 18 miles
  • 12.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Some indecisiveness caused me to clip a tree and it snapped my front brake lever off at the pinch bolt two miles into it. No biggie, since is not a real technical coarse. Coarse was a little softer this year than last, and the overall times were slower. Mine stayed the same, so I guess I am getting stronger.

Laid the bike down one other time because of carrying to much speed into a corner, and with no front break to scrub speed it was all I could do. Also had the lever dangling by the front cable get flung into the gap between the front tire and the fork brace, lucky i was not on the fast section. I did get lucky with it never flying into my front wheel at all, but there was not much I could do about it.

Picked off a lot of people but just could not gain enough ground to really make up for the pour swim.

Not much, except not try to split a tree with my handle bar thus breaking my front lever. Or not be such a weight weenie and use heavier stuff...nah! Good ride considering the I felt like I was dirt tracking it after snapping the lever, and I stayed positive and just dealt with it during the race. Kudos on the mental side of things.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Decent T2, could have been faster. I missed racked my bike on the first shot but I caught it before it hit the dirt. I had to show Carla my broken brake lever for some reason, but she straightened me out and got me focused again. Slid on the shoes, took a nice shot of Endurox, grabbed the visor and number and I was off.

Not feel the need to show Carla my wounded bike. I guess I was starting my plea for some new components early.
Run
  • 39m 50s
  • 4.2 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I am satisfied since I was coming off of loosing a weeks worth of training a couple of weeks ago from spraining my ankle at Uhwarrie and it is still not 100%. Faster than last year in pace and relative to others. Again the coarse was much slower than last year, so I'm ok the outcome. just makes me realize that Richmond is going to hurt.

Not much other than wishing I had about another 30 sec/mile in my legs. I should have been running more down town to help out with climbing, we flat landers are at such a disadvantage.
Post race
Warm down:

Got something cold to drink, hung out with Carla and waited for the results. Stretched some and the typical. Then took a shower at the lake bath house, changed, ate some pizza and hung out till the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor swim and a lack of hill training on the run. Going to be running down town to help with Richmond in a couple of weeks.

Event comments:

This is a good race, and it helps that the coarse fits me. Typical of Xterra's in that it has a laid back feel and it has its own little quirks. A little lake weed, sand, etc...

Last updated: 2009-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:34 | 1000 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 21/109
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri-top and shorts
Course: One loop affair. More of an out and back triangle with a very short leg. No sight buoys on the way out and only one on the way in. Only buoy on the way our was the first turn which was a little under 500 yds out.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:26:37 | 18 miles | 12.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 10/109
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Kind of a lollipop coarse. Some lightly rolling double track/access road to the single track and then two laps of singletrack. First half is kind of technical and the second half flows really well, aka it's fast!
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:50 | 04.2 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 51/109
Performance: Average
Course: One loop, with tons of loose, fine sand and one heck of a quad burning climb just over a quarter mile in. Lots of little rolling climbs, but the sand is a killer.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes