United States
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m
Overall Rank = 87/189
Age Group = 34-39
Age Group Rank = 9/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, ate some oatmeal, had a cup of coffee. Had all my stuff packed up from the night before so I was good to go.
Event warmup:

For my warm up, I did some hill repeat runs, only a few to get my blood going. I felt pretty good. Ate a hammer gel about 30 min. prior to race start.
Swim
  • 08m 23s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first open water swim. I am really not sure if it was 500 yards or not. My time is not indicative of that. There was about a 100 yard run to the timing mat after you got out of the water so that was added to the time. The swim was great!! I much prefer open water swims to pool swims. I sprinted the first 200 yards to seperate from the group. When we started I felt a couple people hitting my legs so I assumed I needed to pick it up or get swam over. So I hit it for a couple hundred yards. My sighting was great. I didn't have any problems even looking a little bit into the sun. I settled in and concentrated on my breathing. Rounded the bouy, started my swim back to the beach, sighted a few more times, and actually stopped once just to make sure I was on course good. Looked back, and to my surprise I was probably 100 yards in front of everyone! So I kept at it. My wave was the very first one to go, so I was the very first person out of the water and up the beach. What a cool feeling!! It was really great. I was really happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I don't think it could have went better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

This was ok, they really had some long distances between timing mats, I had a little trouble getting clipped in, but not too bad.

I think racing more will help. Just need to practice this.
Bike
  • 54m 32s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh my God! Now I had been riding this course to try to prepare, but wow. The hills were amamzing. I got passed alot, but I am going to work on this alot. I felt like my legs were sort of starting to cramp, but by mile 6 or so they loosened up and I finally got my second wind or something. I started settling in a little better. I can't tell you how many people I saw walking their bikes up the hills. They were really hard! I was happy though, I never got off the bike, I passed alot of people back on the up hill climbs, which I was really proud of. I got passed later again, but still I was fairly happy with the bike, I just need to ride more. I have swimmer legs. LOL.

Just keep at the bike. I am getting there. 2 months ago I had to get off my bike on a regular ride to make it up 3 different hills. Now, I can climb about any hill. So I am getting there.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Decent, I need more practice, as this is free time. The faster I get the better my time will be.

Practice more.
Run
  • 27m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a really cool run. Yeah, my time sucked but it was a really neat trail run through the woods for the first half. The trail was narrow and no real passing could be done. Jumping over creeks and logs and all kinds of stuff. I only got passed on the run maybe twice and I repassed a few once we hit the road. I really like the run. The only bothersome thing was holy crap I had to pee!!!!! That really messed me up. Bad. It actually made my stomach start feeling bad. I pushed through, but wow, that really had a bad effect on me.

Nothing, I just need to run more. My fitness is ok, but not where I want it to be. Not yet anyway.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to some people about the race. Stretched a little. Nothing much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trail run was different, I think that slowed everyone, but was really cool. I had to pee for pretty much the whole run which just killed me.

Event comments:

The race itself I thought was awesome! They really did a great job. I had a great time. I will definately be going back again next year.

Last updated: 2009-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:23 | 500 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 9/189
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit
Course: Open water out ant back in triangle shape
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:54:32 | 16 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Hills, hills, and more hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:09 | 03.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run for the first half, then out of the woods onto the road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-07 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: Hoosierman sprint triathlon

2009-06-07 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2199905

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Hoosierman sprint triathlon
Nice job Shad. The hoosierman was my second tri. I placed 117th. The first was 3 years ago at Carmel. I really liked the run also, except for the calf cramp going up the first hill. I should have been training for hills on the bike, though. I averaged about 6 mph up the big ones. I will definitely be back next year also.

Jeff Barber
Indianapolis East
2009-06-07 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2199905

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Hoosierman sprint triathlon
Thanks! Congrats to you too!! The results are now up on their website.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hoosierman sprint triathlon Rss Feed