United States
Bonneville Cycling Club
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /2600
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The best 2600 rider, women only event in the West. Ok, ok, maybe that's pushing it, but this is a really fun event. This was my first year, but I will be back in the future. I went to the event-hosted Luau for dinner Friday night. The food was good, but the portions weren't huge. LOL, the lady serving the cake for dessert was more worried about setting out the plates in pretty rows than actually serving the cake. One person actually just walked up and grabbed a chunk of cake off the serving plate and walked away, much to the chagrin of the server. It was the size of three or four of the tiny servings they were giving out. LOL. Poor server girl was so flustered she couldn't even speak. They had a couple gear shops there, with discounts up to 50% off. If you know me, you know I will shop pretty much any time, and if there's a deal to be had, I am all game. I bought myself some arm warmers, knee warmers, new tri shorts, and new cycling shorts. Plus a couple of charm bracelet charms to commemorate the event. Although, my charms will be going on a necklace because I have really scrawny wrists. :)
I went to this women-only fund-raising ride with three friends, one of whom I met while we were both going to college in the town the race was in. We took the other two on a trip down memory lane after the luau, and ended up at the local tavern. That place has not changed ONE BIT in the last 15 years. Shared a plate of nachos and a buffalo burger while we vegged on the rooftop deck. Good conversation, with good friends. That what life's about, right? Afterwards we headed back up to the hotel (which was in the canyon--gorgeous!) and headed to bed for the night.
Event warmup:

Coffee at the hotel, and pre-race continental breakfast at the event. This year's theme was luau/beach, and The Big Bad Wolf was the centerpiece of the buffet table--he was buried in sand from his neck to his toes, and had the table's umbrella coming out of his gut and his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. Somebody had a dark sense of humor. It made me chuckle, though. :)
Bike
  • 4h 35m
  • 63 miles
  • 13.74 mile/hr
Comments:

The site of this ride is a large part of why I decided to do this event. It starts at the base of the Wellsville Mountains, one of the steepest mountain ranges in the US. The winding course cuts through the entire Cache county, from one end of the valley out towards Idaho, across to the other side of the valley, then back to the starting point. There were some really fun downhills (over 35 mph...wow), and some :fun: uphills. One was easily a mile long...no joke. With a head wind. About 30 miles into the ride, just before lunch. Ouch. I did not cave, I did not walk. I kept pumping away, in the last gear I had available to me. (I think I need a triple front ring...). My speedometer read 6 mph or so for most of that hill. I kept reminding myself that was faster than walking. Much faster. Even though it felt like I wasn't going anywhere. Lunch was yummy subway sandwiches, cookies, crackers, fresh fruit, chips, water, soda, and gatorade. There were actually five "rest stops" along the course for the 63 mile ride. They all were stocked with the same goodies (minus the lunch sandwiches, of course). We spent a fair amount of time at the rest stops, grazing and chatting. Our total time on the course was well over 4 and a half hours, LOL. There were tons of volunteers, and the course was REALLY well marked. The first 40 miles weren't bad at all, as far as fatigue goes. The last 23 miles were pretty tough. I made it through with flying colors. I even made it up the last couple hills faster than others around me. They passed me once we were at the top, but it's all good. I finished, with a smile on my face, and was greeted by a man with a pink lei (silk, of course). I love it when a man gives me flowers! :)
What would you do differently?:

Either buy (and use) some chamois butter, or not wear new cycling shorts purchased the night before my longest-ever bike ride. The chamois is wider than I'm used to and the seam caused a problem or two.
Post race
Warm down:

A fun fruity drink with a flowered straw and an umbrella--could've used a little rum, though. LOL. Got a short stretch from a chiropractor, because the line at the massage tent was too long. Did a quick wardrobe change, packed up the truck, stopped to grab a soda and some deep fried goodness at the truck stop, and hopped in for the hour and a half drive home. Got a little stiff by the time we got home, but the salty pretzel and mozzarella sticks were sure yummy, and the company was, again, so pleasant. I sure enjoy those ladies.

Event comments:

Pushed myself pretty hard. The four of us have made a pact that we will train more, and longer, next year. And I think our other friend who joined us for the ride will train and ride with us again next year. Next year we're doing the 80 mile distance. I am really looking forward to it!!

Last updated: 2009-04-21 12:00 AM
Biking
04:35:00 | 63 miles | 13.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2600
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course:
Road:  Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-07 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Utah
Subject: Little Red RidingHood

2009-06-08 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2200433

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: RE: Little Red RidingHood
That sounds like such a fun race! You did great! Riding up hills is hard.
2009-06-09 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2202609

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Little Red RidingHood
Wow what a fun race! Glad you enjoyed it and reached your goals. ;-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Little Red RidingHood Rss Feed