General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike - Afraid to make an expensive mistake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-10 1:43 PM

Subject: New bike - Afraid to make an expensive mistake
At the risk of opening up a "which bike to buy" thread...here goes.
When I first started riding about a year ago, I bought an entry level Specialized, knowing that if I stuck with it, i would probably upgrade this year.

Hoping to put off that investment this year, I got the bike professionally fitted, and found out that the frame was to small by a good measure (and, yes, I bought it at reputable LBS) and that the fit problems were accounting for some of the challenges I've been experiencing--most notably, inability to climb out of the saddle. Fitter "fixed" bike as much as possible, and I've used it as an excuse to revisit my search for a new bike.

I've ridden a lot of bikes, and am narrowing in on a few that I like, based on fit, feel, and alignment with my fit recommendations. But, I'm finding myself hesitant to pull the trigger as I'm worried I'll end up on the "wrong" bike again. Any advice?

Thanks!

2009-06-10 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2208161

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: New bike - Afraid to make an expensive mistake
PDX_Tri_Girl - 2009-06-10 11:43 AM At the risk of opening up a "which bike to buy" thread...here goes.
When I first started riding about a year ago, I bought an entry level Specialized, knowing that if I stuck with it, i would probably upgrade this year.

Hoping to put off that investment this year, I got the bike professionally fitted, and found out that the frame was to small by a good measure (and, yes, I bought it at reputable LBS) and that the fit problems were accounting for some of the challenges I've been experiencing--most notably, inability to climb out of the saddle. Fitter "fixed" bike as much as possible, and I've used it as an excuse to revisit my search for a new bike.

I've ridden a lot of bikes, and am narrowing in on a few that I like, based on fit, feel, and alignment with my fit recommendations. But, I'm finding myself hesitant to pull the trigger as I'm worried I'll end up on the "wrong" bike again. Any advice?

Thanks!

What kind of professional fitting did you get? Serotta, FIST, etc. , and was it geared more towards a road frame or a tri frame?

It all depends on how much you trust your fitting.

John
2009-06-10 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2208183

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

tkd.teacher - 2009-06-10 1:53 PM
PDX_Tri_Girl - 2009-06-10 11:43 AM At the risk of opening up a "which bike to buy" thread...here goes.

Thanks!

What kind of professional fitting did you get? Serotta, FIST, etc. , and was it geared more towards a road frame or a tri frame?

John

Agree with John.  I had a professional fitter that fit me in my Cervelo.  I trusted the fitter completely since he was completely honest with me and told me that he would have talked me out of purchasing a Cervelo, which is one of the main brands they sold, if the bike didn't fit me properly.  Not all brands will fit you due to frame design, size, and geometries.

Have you talked it over with the fitter?  Have you tried a different bike at all?

2009-06-10 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2208223

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Fwiw, what John said ... you are right to be a little apprehensive about purchasing the wrong bike again.  That said, it looks like you have found a reputable fitter and therefore able to ask them about which bikes might fit your body type the best.

Good luck!  There are some awesome deals out there right now.

1stTimeTri - 2009-06-10 3:09 PM

tkd.teacher - 2009-06-10 1:53 PM

Thanks!

John

Agree with John.  I had a professional fitter that fit me in my Cervelo.  I trusted the fitter completely since he was completely honest with me and told me that he would have talked me out of purchasing a Cervelo, which is one of the main brands they sold, if the bike didn't fit me properly.  Not all brands will fit you due to frame design, size, and geometries.

Have you talked it over with the fitter?  Have you tried a different bike at all?

2009-06-10 2:52 PM

Thanks for quick responses! Fit was for road, and I do trust the fitter completely, and should have been more clear. They have made recommendations about what brands might be a good fit (and they have been!), but the best fit--in my mind at least--seems to be in a brand that the fitter doesn't carry, so would be buying from a shop I don't know as well, hence the apprehension.

Thanks!
2009-06-10 2:59 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Do not pull the trigger on a new bike without doing your research. If you've been fit, you have your numbers now, so size shouldn't be an issue.

Armed with those...get on bikes and RIDE. See what geometry you like, what materials you like, what yoru stack and reach is (for a tri bike).  Understand your components and what really matters and what does not. Know the resale values. Know what you're willing to compromise on and what you are not.

2009-06-10 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2208355

User image

Champion
MA
PDX_Tri_Girl - 2009-06-10 3:52 PM Thanks for quick responses! Fit was for road, and I do trust the fitter completely, and should have been more clear. They have made recommendations about what brands might be a good fit (and they have been!), but the best fit--in my mind at least--seems to be in a brand that the fitter doesn't carry, so would be buying from a shop I don't know as well, hence the apprehension.

Thanks!

What my fitter did was gave me measurement for the ideal bike if I went custom. Then he compared those measurements to brands he carried  in my price range and it was obvious which couple would fit best and closest to my ideal bike.

I have the same issue as my fit guy carries limited brands and since working with him I have bought 4 bikes and only 1 from him.  It was a little awkward when I bought those other bikes as I'd bring them to him to have them set up for me. I found it odd that I could bring my measurements to other bike shops and they couldn't get it right and one wanted based on my measurements to sell me a bike that was to small. How folks measure bikes varies. I've learned to do it myself.

My suggestion is to be honest with him and say I'm looking at xxx brand bikes and want your thought if it would fit me well, can we compare geometry to what is ideal for me to see if their sizing will work for me.
2009-06-10 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
So, what bike do you have and what are you thinking about going with?  What size frame do you have now and how tall are you?  Just curious.
2009-06-10 4:52 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Start with the obvious, don't go back to a bike shop that put you on the wrong size bike to begin with. 

You've paid for a fit, and they've made the current bike as good as it's going to get for you.  You also have the numbers from the fit, so you can shop as needed for a different bike.  No, you don't OWE them a bike purchase because you've done the fit there.  Ride the best fit bike they offer and go ride one or two of the brands they recommend but don't sell.  Each shop should be willing to spend at least 5-10 minutes to get the saddle etc. close to the right position so you can make a good comparison.  If they don't, the shop loses "customer service" points that you must weigh into the overall experience.  (Don't ding a shop because they won't spend hours setting you up for a test ride, unless you're buying a high-end bike with that level of service built into the price.

2009-06-10 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2208355

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
PDX_Tri_Girl - 2009-06-10 12:52 PM Thanks for quick responses! Fit was for road, and I do trust the fitter completely, and should have been more clear. They have made recommendations about what brands might be a good fit (and they have been!), but the best fit--in my mind at least--seems to be in a brand that the fitter doesn't carry, so would be buying from a shop I don't know as well, hence the apprehension.

Thanks!

Did they give you fit numbers of any kind?

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New bike - Afraid to make an expensive mistake Rss Feed