General Discussion Race Reports! » 2009 Komen NC Triangle Race for the Cure Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2009 Komen NC Triangle Race for the Cure - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Susan G. Komen
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 66/281
Pre-race routine:

There are so many people that attend the Race for the Cure event that shuttles are used to transport everyone from the RBC Center to the race site to avoid traffic congestion. I missed the start of the race last year due to the long line of people waiting for the shuttles so I wanted to make sure that didn't happen again. This race means so much to me - because of what happened to my mom - and I wanted to experience every aspect of it. So my alarm went off at 4:30am, I ate a bowl of oatmeal, stretched a bit, and left for the RBC Center at 5:20am. I was able to hop right onto one of the shuttles and arrive at the race site a few minutes after 6. I met up with my NCRC running club friends (a few of them had joined the NCRC Race for the Cure team) and we hung out at the New Balance tent (our sponsor - a huge thank you to them), received our awesome racing singlets, and took the team picture that was scheduled for 6:15am.
Event warmup:

I took a gu around 6:40 and headed over to the start line. I worked my way up towards the front of the start area (there were sooo many people) - I wanted to shoot for a pr but I knew that it would be hard with a race of that size, so I thought that starting out towards the front might help a bit. I found a new member of the running club and hung out with him while stretching and waiting for the start.
Run
  • 27m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Everything felt great from the get go! I alway start off way too fast and crash at the end so I told myself to keep it steady and run my own race. I peeked at my Garmin a few times and I saw that I was running at a much faster pace than usual, I contemplated slowing down, but everything felt so great that I just kept it up. I don't know what the deal was but I was able to push it up all of the hills (usually I struggle big time) and then recover on the downhills. I have never felt so good throughout an entire race! I became a little choked up when I turned the corner and an all womens choir was singing outside of a church - they were all decked out in pink and they sounded amazing - all I could think about was my mom and how I missed her so much. I collected myself though and kept on trucking. I turned the last corner onto Hillsborough Street and I kicked it into high gear. I peeked at my Garmin and I saw that I could break 27 min if I kept it up and I was so excited! However, I realized that I kicked it too early and I suddenly felt like I was going to hurl (embarrassing). I slowed to a walk, stopped altogether for about 20 sec because I was gagging (if I kept moving then I *definitely* would have hurled) and it really sucked because the finish line was less than 50 yards away. I finally got everything under control and sprinted to the finish line... and to a new PR! I don't know where this pace came from, I really surprised myself with this race, but I felt fantastic (besides the whole almost puking thing) and I was so happy!
What would you do differently?:

Um... not almost hurl within site of the finish line. Seriously - it was an absolutely fantastic run.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked back to the New Balance tent and stretched while waiting for my teammates to finish. I chugged a bottle of water, ate a delicious brownie, and then I walked around the race site.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The whole almost puking thing - that's it. :)

Event comments:

This is an awesome race and it's for a great cause. There are tons of people that come out for it and there are several different events, too (competitive 5K, noncompetitive 5K, womens only walk, survivors walk, kids runs, etc). The race is supported by tons of companies/vendors and there were tents surrounding the site with a lot of great giveaways. I walked away with three grocery recycle bags, tons of keychains, a scarf, a headband, and a few other goodies.

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:16 | 03.11 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/281
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The race started out at Meredith College, went down Hillsborough Street, through the neighborhoods of downtown Raleigh, and back up Hillborough Street. There were a few areas of flats, three major hills, and a good number of small rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 8:00 AM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,
Subject: 2009 Komen NC Triangle Race for the Cure

2009-06-14 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2216000

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: 2009 Komen NC Triangle Race for the Cure
PRs all always nice. Good job!

When you get really good, you'll be able to time your puking (if you do) until just AFTER you cross the finish line.
2009-06-14 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2216000

User image

Subject: RE: 2009 Komen NC Triangle Race for the Cure
Nice job.  Sounds like you left everything out on the course (well, except the puke).
Congrats on the PR! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2009 Komen NC Triangle Race for the Cure Rss Feed