Boise, Idaho
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 6h 50m 52s
Overall Rank = 980/1246
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 98/131
Pre-race routine:

I waited for the shuttle for a couple hours and then had to wait for three more once up there. I would have preferred to have started in the morning.
Event warmup:

We weren't allowed to warm up in the water.
Swim
  • 1h 04m 24s
  • 1931 meters
  • 03m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was my first open water swim of the year. By time my age group started there were a lot of waves in the water. I breathe to the right so I had problems swallowing water and so I flipped onto my back. The waves were still coming over my head and I was swallowing water. It was not fun! Once the waves calmed down I settled down and was able to actually finish the swim with a minute to spare before the cut-off.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more in open water, learn bilateral breathing, and just swim more in general. I have no confidence at all in my swim abilities.
Transition 1
  • 05m 29s
Comments:

I took my time. I just wanted to make sure everything was in order. I loved the wetsuit strippers. It was nice to struggle getting it off.

I might speed it up a little but I was just trying to decide wether or not to wear a jacket, etc.
Bike
  • 3h 32m 46s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.79 mile/hr
Comments:

It started out slow. I had to stop and take out my retainer because it didn't work too well with shot blocks. I did very good in the middle of the bike portion. I then got a extremely intense, sharp pain at the base of my neck between my shoulder blades. That stopped my aero position riding and it slowed me down a lot. Mentally it was a huge barrier and coupled with the wind and rain I was going so slow at the end of this race it wasn't funny. I was so cold at the end though that when I stopped pedaling on the downhills to conserve energy I was shivering so much I almost wrecked. It just was a horrible bike for me.

I would not let the rain and wind get to me so much mentally and try to work through that pain but it was so intense that it was almost impossible. I was sitting straight up in my saddle with my hands on the pads for your arms on the aero bars so it wasn't the best position to ride in the wind. I had stomach problems too so I couldn't take any calories or water in after a certain point.
Transition 2
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

I took my time again. I was really beat up mentally at this point. I sat on my but and took my shoes and socks out of the shopping bag that i had them sealed in. It was so nice to have dry shoes and socks. It helped a lot mentally.

I am so thankful that I put my shoes and socks in a grocery bag. If they were wet I would have been really demoralized.
Run
  • 2h 03m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt surprisingly good once the run started. I was expecting the worse after the last few miles of the bike. My stomach calmed down and I was able to take in calories so I started alternating water and gatorade at every aid station. I loved the soup at the one aid station. I walked through the aid stations so that slowed my time down. I had three or so miles on the last loop where mentally I was thinking how Far five more miles was and so I walked some. They were 10-11 minute miles. Once we turned towards the finish I started running fine again and was at an 8 minute pace.

I would try not to get down on myself on the second loop about how much distance is left. I would try and not walk through the aid stations either.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk back and forth from my car to get my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and I have been sick since Wednesday with tonsils that are swollen and covered in puss.

Event comments:

I would like to thank all of the volunteers for staying out in the rain. They were great and helped me out a ton. This is a very well organized and run race in a great town and course.

Last updated: 2008-10-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:24 | 1931 meters | 03m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 106/131
Overall: 1135/1246
Performance: Bad
Suit: 2XU comp:1
Course: It was one clockwise loop in Lucky Peak Reservoir.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:32:46 | 56 miles | 15.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 98/131
Overall: 1049/1246
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:03:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 72/131
Overall: 655/1246
Course: A two loop course on the greenbelt.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 9:44 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2009-06-14 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2217201

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
Way to push on through tough conditions my friend.  Props to you for competing with swollen tonsils - I used to have serious tonsil problems, so I can sympathize, especially with that rain and wind.
2009-06-15 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2217201

User image

somewhere in the northwest
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise
Awsome job finnishing this was a tough race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed