General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pequannock Sprint Triathlon / Duathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-01 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2320292

Subject: RE: Pequannock Sprint Triathlon / Duathlon : Official Thread
If many top athletes did the relay, then you'd expect them to be fastest.  In general, for a small tri like this, there's no competition for the relay, and no reason for the faster people to do it.  Most people that do the relay do it because they can't do the entire race well (and as a result, aren't very quick)

2009-08-02 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2221424

Thanks for the explanation on the relay.  
I liked this course.  Much easier than what I've seen when watching my daughter.

Having slogged through the downpour and managing my 2 goals --- not to die and to finish--- I can now say that I am a Triathlete. Cool

Any idea if/where the results will be posted? 
2009-08-02 2:01 PM

User image

Kinnelon, NJ
Great job to everyone that raced today and survived the downpours!  Saw some really inspiring racers today (amputee and blind people) that really helped me kick it into overdrive when I had to.

Also saw a couple nasty bike crashes, which are to be expected, especially with a lot of beginners and downpour conditions.  Hope everyone is ok and heals up fast.

I finished the swim in the middle of the pack but very winded.  I have to really focus on my technique and breathing because I was blown out way too fast.  I'm expecting my T1 time to be slow, as all my stuff was tucked away due to rain and I spent some time getting my knee compression brace on.  The bike was great for me and was keeping a steady 25mph on the straights.  The chondromalacia in my right knee hit me like a wall of bricks right before I got into T2 and plagued me throughout the run.  It kept me from running but I managed to jog fast non-stop and finished without completely blowing it out.  The trail run was a cool change of pace, except for the mud, into which I heard a few people took some nasty spills in.

I plan on not running or cycling and seeing a Dr. on Monday about my knee.  I need the speediest recovery possible as I have the Mighty Hamptons olympic tri on September 13th.  The downtime from running and cycling opens up a ton of time for swim training.  Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Again: GREAT JOB TO ALL RACERS!!! Cool
2009-08-02 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2322384

That must have been you flying past me on the bike.  I averaged only 18.8 mph as I had never ridden in rain before and this was my First Tri.  The swim was a near disaster as I thought I went wide enough out to keep from being in the scrum but managed to get smacked in the face while taking a breath and ended up swallowing lots of water.  Life guard on a surf board came by to check me out while I cleared my head.

Biggest lesson learned....I need to train more to increase my cardio.

Where are results posted? 
2009-08-02 5:34 PM

User image

The Garden State
2009-08-02 6:07 PM

Now,  how will they deal with all the  people who only did one loop of the bike? I know at least 3. The volunteers as wonderful as they are, were shouting "second loop" and pointing to turn onto Alexander Avenue, which I almost did and many people did do. What they should have been shouting is "Finish Line" or "T2".

For me, it knocks me from 3rd place to 5th in my a/g. Since I know the real result, I guess it really doesn't matter I suppose.

2009-08-02 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2322689

ChuckG - 2009-08-02 7:07 PM Now,  how will they deal with all the  people who only did one loop of the bike? I know at least 3. The volunteers as wonderful as they are, were shouting "second loop" and pointing to turn onto Alexander Avenue, which I almost did and many people did do. What they should have been shouting is "Finish Line" or "T2".

For me, it knocks me from 3rd place to 5th in my a/g. Since I know the real result, I guess it really doesn't matter I suppose.

Email the RD once the splits come out.  It's generally pretty obvious when someone is averaging 30+ mph that they cut the course... 
2009-08-03 5:45 PM

This was my first Tri and I had a great, although wet, time.  I will have to swim prior to my next tri, I side stroked 200m of the swim. 

I was confused on the "turn here if it's your second lap" instruction.  The only thing that saved me was that it felt way too short and the pre race talk about doing the straight away four times.  I'm not surprised people turned early.

Also would have been nice to have distance markers, especially for the run.  I have a hard time judging pace and held back more than I should have.

I'll do it again next year.

Edited by D51 2009-08-03 5:50 PM
2009-08-03 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2325242

User image

Kinnelon, NJ
D51 - 2009-08-03 6:45 PM

As will I!
2009-08-03 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2325242

D51 - 2009-08-03 6:45 PM

I was confused on the "turn here if it's your second lap" instruction.  The only thing that saved me was that it felt way too short and the pre race talk about doing the straight away four times.  I'm not surprised people turned early.

Also would have been nice to have distance markers, especially for the run.  I have a hard time judging pace and held back more than I should have.

Always check the course before the race.  Double laps like that are very common, from the local sprint all the way up to Ironman.

As for the run, markers would have been nice, but only if they told us the right distance for the course.  I would not have been happy to pass the 3 mile mark and pick up the pace, only to have a half mile to go.

I'll see you guys there next year, and hopefully I'll be a lot faster. 
2009-08-04 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
What an experience! My 1st tri and I finished 25min faster than i anticipated, placing in the top 1/3rd overall.  The only problem I had with the course was the thick mud at the beginning of the trail run, caught me off guard and I almost went down.  I could have pushed a bit harder on the run and I think I would have if I was more familliar with the course and distance left.  Like some of you mentioned, mile markers would have been nice, but I'm definitly not complaining.  I was happy with my bike, I got 18.8mph out of my mtb and even passed a few roadies on the course.  With all that rain, having the mtb may have even helped me.  Tri the Wildwoods is next for me on 8/22, then Bassman Fall Sprint on 8/4.  I'll definitly be back in Pequannock next year trying to take 5-8 min off this years time.  

Looks like the final results took care of the 1 loopers. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pequannock Sprint Triathlon / Duathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2