United States
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 53s
Overall Rank = 222/256
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 16/21
Pre-race routine:

Panic is about all I did before this race. Woke up at 4:45, ate breakfast, got my gear together.
Event warmup:

We had to walk a good ways down the beach to the start, So I jogged at the water's edge to get the blood flowing.
Swim
  • 11m
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

After the water, we ran up the beach, through a hotel parking lot, across a road, and into T1 (450m ish). The total official time for my swim leg + runup was 16:55. I know I was out of the water by 11:00, at the back of the front of the pack. The run up the beach took me maybe 2:30 or more, because I was going slow (my photo shows me walking as people I swam past are running past me. Doh), but picking my way across that asphalt took FOREVER! OUCH.
What would you do differently?:

Practice running on asphalt barefoot?? The swim was awesome, so much better than expected, I can't believe I got out in the first wave of people.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

My T1 time was lumped in with bike time so this is just an estimate based on glances at my watch. I took my time in T1, drying off, etc, deliberately did not rush.

Take T1 seriously, try to get thru it a lot faster.
Bike
  • 46m 52s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 15.87 mile/hr
Comments:

It stormed the night before and was still drizzling at the start of the race so the course was pretty slick. I took it really easy (like, almost dead stop) on the corners because I'm still not that good at bike handling and I wasn't taking any chances. Kept a comfortable cadence, really did not push at all till the last lap and 1/2 and even then I wasn't pushing too much. Very conservative ride.

Pushed harder from the beginning. I really need to learn to corner better/faster.
Transition 2
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

Obviously took my time in T2 as well, getting my shoes & helmet off, running shoes on, chatting with the SO, generally taking it very easy. Again, like in T1, this was totally deliberate, I was not taking this race fast at all.

Get my gear changed out and go!
Run
  • 30m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went great, again I didn't push (or, didn't feel like I was pushing). Not being familiar with the area, it was really nice to be running the same course as we biked so I had a good idea where I was at all times. This is a PB for the 5k!

Not a single thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to transition area and gathered up my stuff, chatted, walked to the hotel (across the street) and showered. Got back in time for the awards to be handed out, was fun cheering for everybody.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, this was my first race so general insecurity about what to do and when. I made the conscious choice to treat this race as just another training day so as to not injure myself or rush through anything and miss something -- a DQ because of a stupid error would've broken my heart. Obviously, next time I'll take T1 & T2 seriously. I'll push on the bike a little more because I know I have plenty left over for the run.

Event comments:

Everything was perfect as far as a first race experience was concerned. There were plenty of volunteers to make things go smoothly, the weather was cool (but not cold) and the same for the water. Strong current for a fast swim, good flat course that's exactly like where I train.

Last updated: 2005-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 204/256
Performance: Good
Suit: ScubaPro .05mm
Course: The course was with the current in the Atlantic ocean off Hilton Head Island.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:52 | 12.4 miles | 15.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 200/256
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 4 laps around the course, with two 90 degree turns. FLAT!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:11
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:56 | 03.1 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/21
Overall: 211/256
Performance: Good
Course: Same course as bike, except 1 loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes