Canada
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 29s
Overall Rank = 149/153
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Being my first tri, I was very nervous. My swims in the canal with the wetsuit leading to the race were disastrous. I couldn't swim more than 100m without being out of breath. I almost did not do the race but because I had registered and I did not want to through 50$ out the window, I decided to do it anyway even if I had to dog paddle to the finish.

I forced fed myself. I had 1.5 toast with PB and banana, fruit cup and coffee.

So I got there early and my coach was there and we set up my transition. I got a really good spot on the end of the rack and near the start of the bike and the run. It got quite crowded though and when I came back from my bike warmup, someone had taking my spot even though my wetsuit, towel and stuff was there. She moved hehe

Event warmup:

I met up with others from my club and we did one loop of the bike course, and a 10 minute run. Then it was time to put on the wetsuit and go warmup for the swim

I swam about 300 meters. The water was cold but bearable. The warmup went well so I was more confident about the swim.
Swim
  • 20m 30s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started at the back and a few seconds after everybody. I can say that the first 250 meters were not so bad. But after that it got bad. There were 4 people behind me at one point and they started passing me with about 200m left. Well I really didn't want to finish last in the swim so I gave it all I had for the last 100m. I finished 3rd from last lol
What would you do differently?:

Practice more in my wetsuit. Besides that, there was nothing more I could have done. Because of the cold weather we've been having, swimming in the canal was not an option before the Saturday before the race. I can do the distance in the pool in 17 minutes so I really thought I could do this without stopping. The cold water and the wetsuit proved otherwise. I'll know for next year though.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was a bit dizzy coming out of the water. I had a bit of difficulty getting the wetsuit off my feet. I had to sit down to put on my shoes. But other than that it was fine.

Practice more taking my wetsuit off
Bike
  • 49m 13s
  • 20 kms
  • 24.38 km/hr
Comments:

I was very winded from the swim so my first lap was slow. I was just trying to get my HR and breathing down a bit. I picked up the pace on the second and third loop. My mouth was dry and my legs were burning. I got in the bars put my head down (I was alone) and pushed.

I just need more practice on the bike. I'll be biking indoors next winter, I won't wait till the season starts
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I think T1 and T2 times are included in the bike time.

I had to remember to not unclip my helmet before I put my bike on the rack. When I got to my spot someone has racked her bike in my spot again!! I had to move her bike in order to rack mine. I was a bit annoyed (not that a few seconds would make a difference at this point). I took a gel with me had a sip of water and started running.

Nothing. I don't have bike shoes right now so T2 was fast.
Run
  • 35m 5s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 01s  min/km
Comments:

I ran out of transition and then walked to take my gel and grab some water from the water station. Then I started a light jog until my breathing got more relaxed. Took about 2k but then I started running a bit faster. My legs were tired but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Actually that's a pretty good time for me for a 5k especially after swimming and biking. I started getting VERY bored at one point and ended up counting the cones to keep my mind busy!! I finally saw the finish line, started running faster and finished!! YEAH!!

Run more. Running is NOT my favorite.

Post race
Warm down:

Had gatorade, water and fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just lack of experience I guess. It's my first year, my first race. I know what I need to work on next year. I'm definitly going to practice more in my wetsuit.

Event comments:

My goal was to finish and I did. I was the last women to cross the finish line. I'm very competitive so that bugged me a bit (hey I'm being honest), but this me motivates to do better next time.

I'm very proud of myself

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:30 | 750 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 144/153
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Out and back loop - clockwise
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:13 | 20 kms | 24.38 km/hr
Overall: 150/153
Wind: Strong
Course: 3 loops to total 20k with a hairpin turn to come back. Strong headwinds going out.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:05 | 05 kms | 07m 01s  min/km
Overall: 148/153
Course: Out and back very boring course on a bike path in the woods.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-21 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Subject: Triathlon Tri-O-Lacs

2009-06-21 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2231602

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-21 8:05 PM

Veteran
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Triathlon Tri-O-Lacs
Brrrrr! That is some cold water! I am so glad to be down south! And I'm sure you know this already, but have you tried wax earplugs to keep the water out of your ears and doubling your swim cap to keep warmer? They even have cold water caps.

Congrats!  
2009-06-21 8:53 PM

New user
Great Job!  Congratulations!!  I loved reading your race report.  Can't believe people kept taking your spot!!
2009-06-22 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2232469

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
freeflykami - 2009-06-21 9:05 PM

Brrrrr! That is some cold water! I am so glad to be down south! And I'm sure you know this already, but have you tried wax earplugs to keep the water out of your ears and doubling your swim cap to keep warmer? They even have cold water caps.

Congrats!  

I haven't tried earplugs but I will thanks. I wanted to put my silicone cap under the cap they gave us (it was small and latex) but I forgot.

I wish I was down south also LOL
2009-06-22 12:43 PM

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Great job! 

2009-07-18 11:15 AM

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Woo hoo!  You did great!  Now you just have to do this very same tri next year and go back and kick its butt!  Awesome, awesome job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Tri-O-Lacs Rss Feed