Indiana County Habitat for Humanity
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 31s
Overall Rank = 62/132
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

My friend from work picked me up, so I had a nice relaxing 90 minute ride. This was just his 2nd triathlon, so it was nice to have the company.

Ate my normal cereal, water, and cup of coffee along the way. We were able to drive the bike portion coming into the park, and that's when I realized I should have done some more hill training!

Easy check-in, and had a gel 15 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

I was lazy and didn't do anything. Actually didn't really leave myself enough time once I realized I still had to get my wetsuit on.
Swim
  • 19m 30s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was okay, but would have been far better with better training. The surprise was to see the line of buoys the whole way. That was awesome - too bad they were on my weaker side, but beggars can't be choosers!

The extra surprise was the seaweed that last about 1/4 of the way out. By far the worst experience I've had with that - especially when it ended up in my mouth!

Otherwise uneventful, didn't really bump into many people, and felt alright coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Train every once in a while.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

Trouble with getting my suit off as usual, but at least I didn't fall over! The transition area was grass, and kind of wet, and on a slope, so I only lightly jogged with my bike to get out.

Practice!
Bike
  • 32m 24s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 17.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of transition, and got my breath faster than normal and settled right into aero (probably because of the slow transition!). Of course I was happy about this, because almost right away there were two photographers! LOL! (See below).

First mile went good, but then the hills started. I stayed in my seat too long because I forgot the layout of them. I thought I was coming up to the crest, but then a new one started. I finally stood up, but by then my legs were pretty well fried - and only 2.5 miles into the ride!

I pushed a bit and coasted down the backside of that first set, even though I could have pedaled it for more speed. At that point, I even said to myself "I don't care, I just need to relax a bit". It kind of went on like that for most of the rest of the way.

After the turnaround saw my friend, and I was happy to see he was having a good time. Also happy that I knew he had no chance to catch me - he kicked my ass during the Pgh 1/2 Marathon! LOL!

Took a gel with about 3 miles to go as part of my strategy of not really trying.... It was a poor section to have the gel in since I was missing out on getting up some good speed here.
I could have pushed this much harder, but got caught up behind a number of others. I even wimped out on the downhill coming back. I got up to 40 mph, and wasn't real comfortable at that speed, especially since I would have been passing people, so rode the brake off and on. Then finally pushed harder for the last mile.

Great farmland scenery - lots of fields, cows, and even Amish working on a barn!

Work on more hills. I've been doing more rolling hills during training, and wasn't prepared as well as I should have been for the 200 footers...

Also get more comfortable at higher speeds. Overall costed myself a couple of minutes on this course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Decent. No complaints here.

Just work on overall speed
Run
  • 27m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This has become such a weak point for me. Two years ago I did the 5k run portions a full 4 minutes faster, so I'm getting kind of annoyed at this.

Right before the start, they announced that the turn around point would be at a different point than last year. Since this was my first time here, I didn't think about that. However, the dumb thing was that I never saw where the finish line was. So I was still expecting about a 3.5 mile run, then as I rounded a bend and thought the finish was about 1/2 mile away, it was suddenly right in front of me! LOL!

But that meant I didn't really give much of a kick at the end, and had too much left in me. That would have saved some time, but wouldn't have made a difference in the age group placing.

Do more speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged back out on the course and cheered in my friend to his finish. (He ended up 6th in our age group).

Walked around, had some fruit and drinks. Then eventually dug into an awesome display of cookies and brownies!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall training - or lack thereof.

Need to get the weight off!

Now!

Event comments:

Very well organized. This group really cares about the people racing, and they come out in full force to help. The timing is not done by chips, but by volunteers shouting out your race number as you pass! Worked just as well for a small race like this.

Very good race and tuneup, and I highly recommend it for anyone in the area.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:30 | 880 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 59/132
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Straight out and back in the lake. Bonus was the buoy line the whole way, so navigation was simple. Added bonus - seaweed! In my hands, goggles and mouth! yech!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:24 | 9.5 miles | 17.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 48/132
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly! Out and back. First mile is flat, but good uphills from miles 1-3, then rolling after that (and big downhills coming back). Very tight turnaround.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:39 | 03.11 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 81/132
Course: Lightly rolling slopes on the road in and out of the park. Fairly flat, so no problems with hills here.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: Jackie Kallal Triathlon

2009-06-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2233976

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Jackie Kallal Triathlon

Nice job Bob for the little amount of training you have been doing. .

As you say run way below what you are capable of but that is a weight issue.

Good luck for your impending HIM.

2009-06-23 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2233976

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: RE: Jackie Kallal Triathlon

Nice job on the race.  You going to start doing more hill training?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackie Kallal Triathlon Rss Feed