General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oregon, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 52s
Overall Rank = 213/221
Age Group = Clydesdale XL3
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up, took shower, are clif bars and G2. Packed up, went to race
Event warmup:

Talked to Monica West, and stood in lake to get temperature.
Swim
  • 23m 20s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow, i flew!! Thats a good 10 minutes faster than I am in the pool. I guess it's a sink or swim kind of thing, because I didnt want to get passed by everyone. I switched back and forth between freestyle, side, and backstroke.
What would you do differently?:

I should wear a swim cap. Getting my long hair out of my eyes would have helped immensely with spotting. I need to work on butterfly or breaststroke, because being able to swim and look forward all at once would be awesome!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

I was beat after the swim, and frankly, I used my transition to rest up. I got the shoes on relatively quickly, but Im sure this was my slowest transition thus far. No real delays, just tired from swim. Couldnt run up the beach either.

More training on the swim will better prep me for T1. My setup seems to work great, and the 5 Hour energy at this stage has worked very well.
Bike
  • 53m 37s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 16.00 mile/hr
Comments:

WOW! I flew. I didn't know even on flats, let alone flats partially into wind that I could go that fast. I worked hard on the bike this time, got a lot of miles in, and my stamina is better. I kept other riders at bay that were clearly behind me in the sprint, and passed others. A lot of the big time riders passed me on their expensive bikes but for my level of skill this was a super outting!

train even more. Need aero bars, would love to have known I was gonna be close to 4 people, I would have put the hammer down sooner and dropped into 12th gear with a couple miles to go!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 47m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 15m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

OMG, HOT! And not in the Paris Hilton way. I should have worn a hat. I was about a minute slower than what I was last time, but I can't be sure that wasn't because of T2 possibly mixed into the walk/run. I feel better learning that the T2 time was mixed in for sure after talking to the timers. So say 1 minute or so in T2 and Im right on par with where ive been considering the massive amount of distance increase in this race over my previous ones.

I need to train for this. It was a good effort for the day, but not repsentative of my best, and at some point I need to start running!
Post race
Warm down:

walked it off, got 2 waters and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat, weighing 322#, and not enough training. I need to continue working, but I am seeing CLEAR signs of improvement.

Event comments:

This was a REALLY good race. HFP continues to have some timing issues, but I just wonder how representative this really is of triathlons as a whole.

Last updated: 2009-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:20 | 750 meters | 03m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 212/221
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: rectangle, out and back around it in man made lake
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:37 | 14.3 miles | 16.00 mile/hr
Overall: 202/221
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: flat country roads, light vehicle traffic, good set up, decent condition, no shade, warm ride!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:56 | 03.11 miles | 15m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 218/221
Performance: Below average
Course: winding, mostly flat, no shade, pretty, but hot. Hard to see the next turn because of the weeds around the lake
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 12:44 PM

Veteran
New York
Subject: Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed