General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Collegiate National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Collegiate National Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lubbock, Texas
United States
Total Time = 2h 42m 38s
Overall Rank = 335/736
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at camp site. Thought it was entirely too cold to race. 53 degree water didn't help.

Also, the day before, I gash my knee pretty good trying jump over the backside of a guardrail. I could see fat cells. It definitely needed stitches. But, my poorer judgment said, "tape it up and ignore it." So I did. It didn't affect my range of motion, and didn't really hurt until the drive back to ABQ the following day.
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit. Stay in sun. Took a few strokes in lake before my wave started. The lake was so cold, it took my breath away. I was scared.
Swim
  • 32m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow. This was the part I was dreading all Winter. This from the guy who taught himself to swim a few weeks before his first tri, and almost drowned in Brigantine, NJ.

It certainly took awhile to get used to the temperature, but once I did, I felt good. I wasn't pushing it, and I wasn't sighting well, so my time was terrible.

A couple of funny(ish) things happened on the swim. On the first leg of the triangle, I saw some people walking on what I thought was the shore line. Upon a better look, they were fellow competitors that were walking on the shallow banks! There wasn't enough space for all of us and the water was too shallow to swim. It was a a funny sight. I suppose I could have walked too from were I was, but I didn't want to stop and find out.

And, just before the finish, we had to swim to the right of the last buoy. I had a guy on my right who was about a body length ahead, and he was swimming too far to the left - he was going to miss the buoy. I thought I'd do the gentlemenly thing, and "guide" him. So, I picked up the pace a bit and tried to swim him over where he needed to go. He had none of it and swam RIGHT over me. I swallowed a good few ounces of Lubbock's finest and couldn't get my breath back. Luckily, we were right at the finish. I wanted to see a pic of me getting out of the water, because I'm sure I looked like hell at that point.

All in all, I was in a good rhythm and enjoyed the swim. Save for the freakishly cold water at the start.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to sight better. And push harder.
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

I think I stopped an built a fire (not my line, but I like it). I have no idea what took so long. I was a gentle taking my suit off because of my knee's bandage.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 46s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the bike. I pushed when I could, but my crappy hill ability sunk me. I wanted 20+mph, but just missed it. Also, I was under the impression the course was 24mi (stupid me), so I didn't ration out my energy all that well. The bike is the most comfortable for me, so this leg was ok.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

again, what the crap? To my defense, I should note that the transition area had this unnecessarily long line of cones you had to job around.

At this point, I needed to pee.
Run
  • 49m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

I started by stopping and peeing.

I wanted 7min/mi, but quickly realized that wasn't happening. My back was hurting, I think mainly from the drive the day before. I was just hanging on to my crusing speed of 8min/mi.

I eventually caught up to our school's captain at the half-way point. When I saw her, I knew something terrible had happened. She's so much faster than me at running, swimming, and biking. Sure enough, she flatted with a tubular. She spent the rest of the race treating the day as a training session. It was nice to run with a pacer.
What would you do differently?:

not suck.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

gashing my knee? probably not. I didn't do enough bricks leading up.

Event comments:

This was really fun. I think BSLT 70.3 is a goal now.

Last updated: 2009-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 438/736
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out on Buffalo Springs Lake. Triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 53F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:38
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:46 | 24.85 miles | 19.94 mile/hr
Overall: 218/736
Wind: Some
Course: Nice flat ride with a "punch you in the face" hill at the end. I liked the ride.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:39 | 06.21 miles | 07m  min/mile
Overall: 445/736
Performance: Below average
Course: Around the lake. Hot.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-22 7:50 PM

User image

Regular
OKC
Subject: USAT Collegiate National Championship
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Collegiate National Championship Rss Feed