Manitoba Lotteries Corporation
33C / 91F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 58m 58s
Overall Rank = 528/691
Age Group = 34 - 39
Age Group Rank = 58/65
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:30 am. Had a shower and then 1/2 a cup of coffee. I ate some Vector cereal, mixed up 500ml of Gatorade, relaxed and sipped on that for about 30 minutes. We left for the race at 6 am the start time was 7:00 am. We arrived at 6:15 and parked about 2km away and walked into the race site. I spent about 40 minutes standing in a port-a-potty line....WHY IS THERE NEVER ENOUGH OF THESE!?!? I got to the start line with about 5 minutes to spare. Settled into the 4:30 pace corral. Due to the extreme heat and humidity that was forecast for the day (we were already feeling it at 7:00 am!!!) I dropped my overall goal to 1. FINISH unhurt 2. finish in under 5 hours. (instead of the 4:30 - 4:45 range I originally had planned on.)
Event warmup:

Just standing vitually motionless in a port-a-potty line! I had an "Orange Burst" GU 15 minutes before the start of the race.
Run
  • 4h 58m 58s
  • 42.87 kms
  • 06m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Given the extreme heat I am very happy with my run. I had some GI issues at the 23km mark. I had to duck into a hotel on Portage Ave (The Viscount Gort) to use the washroom. I then had to duck under the Mid-Town bridge to let out another "load"!! I kind of figured that the heat combined with warm gels, warm Gatorade, and warm water at the aid stations all combined to cause my GI distress. I unfortunately had to lay off the gels from that point forward. I that that was unfortunate because I needed the energy at the 36km mark (I had planned on a double caffeine GU shot around that point) but figured that since the gels were passing right thru me in about 10 minutes it may take more liquid out of me and dehydrate me even more. It was truly was a battle to keep enough liquid in your body. There were people dropping off like flies in the later parts of the race...they were starting I.V.s on people on the side of the road and the course was actually closed at the 14 mile mark around the 3 hour mark. (only the second time in 31 years they have closed the course!) I felt awesome until about that 36km mark (mile 22 -23) I needed to walk for about 1.5 km (1 mile) - it was the stretch along Dunkirk drive to St. Vital road...it was like a frying pan! This proved to be good for me once I hit St. Vital road and some shade I was able to pick it up a little...not much faster than a slow jog mind you! I also walked up the Bishop Grandin overpass.
What would you do differently?:

Unfortunately we had cool weather to train in leading up to this race...it only started to get warm around here about 1 week ago! If the weather would have thrown us some warmer temps earlier (like usual) to train in it would have helped a lot of people, including myself aclimatize!)
I need to find some fuel that agrees with my gut a little better in the heat.
Also the liquids at all the aid stations was warm...I think I would also be wise to start training with some warm liquid here and there...just to get used to it.

I feel I was very wise to lower my race goal by a little bit...when I finished I was totally spent.
Post race
Warm down:

Found a small patch of shade and sat drinking a chocolate milk and tried to choke down a banana...only got half of it down! (it was really, really, really hot!) Tried to stretch my legs a little...but mainly rested.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE HEAT!!!!!

My 2 stops for #2...I figure that they cost me close to 10 minutes.

My gels and the warm liquids a the aid stations irritated my gut...which of course produced the aforementioned GI issues!

Mentally I was really good.

Event comments:

This will most likely be my last Manitoba Marathon...I feel great after this years race (not like last year!) I would still like to do the marathon distance but I would like to maybe do a "destination" marathon next. The Manitoba course is OK but I think twice may be enough for me! I was thinking Twin Cities next year? Maybe Fargo...we'll see (those aren't really Destination spots though!!)

Last updated: 2009-04-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:58:58 | 42.87 kms | 06m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 58/65
Overall: 65/691
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fairly easy. Just a great big loop of Winnipeg, all residential. some shade but not a lot. My plan was to keep an easy pace and only walk thru aid stations then later in the race when my body needed a break.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes