General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oregon, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 10s
Overall Rank = 169/227
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, got the gear packed up and set off for the race. It was about an 1:30 drive. Got there early enough to get timing chip and marked rather quickly. Set up transition and met with members and coach of my triathlon training group.
Event warmup:

Light stretching with quick, short run. Got wetsuit on, went down to the water for quick warmup swim.
Swim
  • 17m 39s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took a nice slow pace. HR jumped right at the start. Swam off to the side to avoid any other swimmers as I was concentrating on pacing and sighting (this as a result of my first OWS performance). Just wanted to go at my own pace, keeping HR down and work on going straight, not zig zag.
What would you do differently?:

Just need more open water practice.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Still having issues getting the wetsuit off. I bought it off my coach and am beginning to think it may be a size too small. Will be getting a new one by next race. Got a little dizzy when I had to bend down to get the suit off my heals. Took some deep breathes, finished changing gear, and off I went.

Some more practice, but still really new at this.
Bike
  • 43m 4s
  • 14.29 miles
  • 19.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried a new drink for the bike, I do not like Heed, sorry, but it just tastes nasty and doesn't agree with me. Switched to my water bottle, not all the soap was rinsed from the mouth piece, stomach felt a little sick after these issues. So needless to say didn't get enough fluids in me, that would show up in the run.

About the bike: Everything went good. Passed a lot of people right off and really didn't get passed until the later portions. My bike cpu had me at 19-21mph pretty much most of the race except for the straights with the head winds, there I was 17-18. (At the time of writing comments the official splits were not released) I felt really good and enjoyed this leg of the race.

Not switch my drink, really could have used the fluids. Work on the higher gears in training, work some longer distances into my workouts.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Could rack my bike, someone had knocked the rack down. Iactually passed it up because my source was gone. Lucky for me I was on the outside gate area, so I rested my bike there. As I was getting my running shoes on, volenteers began to reassemble the rack. Got some fresh water and was off.

Didn't expect the rack to fall over.
Run
  • 37m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, had very little to drink since the start of the race and about .75 miles in, my calve felt like two watermelons. They felt swollen and stiff, not cramping, just incredibly stiff and running became troublesome. I tried to stretch them out, and started to run again. At that point my shoes became untied- twice. I got to the turn around, did a little more walk-run before finishing the final .75 running.

At least I didn't get any blisters this time!

Don't switch my drink for the bike leg, and wash out the mouth piece of all soap residue!

Need to concentrate on bike run brick workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate the grub, and cheered on the finishes of fellow trainees, coach, and others.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still new to this. I want to loose about 15 more pounds, and need to do more workouts, running while tired.

Had a great time.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed the announcer calling out the finishers. Got to hear my name as I crossed the finish line.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:39 | 820 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 172/227
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Short sleeve
Course: Out and back in a rectagular fashion.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:04 | 14.29 miles | 19.91 mile/hr
Overall: 127/227
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Big rectangle. Nice and flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:04 | 03.11 miles | 11m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 202/227
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back around the inland lake and along the Lake Erie beach before turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-23 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Subject: Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed