World Triathlon Corporation
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 38m 29s
Overall Rank = 400/1156
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 12/49
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6 AM. Ate my normal breakfast. Drove to Boise from Mountain Home. Stared hydrating and began snacking. Dropped off the Bike to Run bag, registered for the hotel and waited in line for the shuttle bus. Got to Lucky Peak about 12:45. Set up my bike. Ate some pretzels and drank some gatorade.
Event warmup:

Talked with others to pass the time. It was my goal from the start to greet everyone I met with smile, acknowledge thier accomplishments and to cheer them on thru out the day.
Swim
  • 41m 33s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

There was plenty of room at the start. So I started about row 3 in the middle. My intent was start slow and keep a low heart rate for the duration swim. No problems with the start, made the first turn about 20 feet out and missed the cluster that usually gathers there. About this time I noticed the white caps, shortly after the group I was in began to overtake the previous wave. I swam right into a group of them which cause to to look up right into a wave and inhaled a ton water. Stopped and tried to clear my airway and bam the next wave did the same thing. I turned my face away from the waves and floated on my back to get some control of my breathing and heart rate. Once I got going again I was a bit more careful when coming up on slower groups. I was able to find some on to consistently draft of off for the last third of the swim. This helped me lower my overall effort level and still make good time. I am very happy with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

Draft More, Practice more uni-lateral breathing. Find a place to practice open water swimming.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

Wet suit strippers are the coolest. Ran the small hill and faily long run into T1. This was the first race where I had to un-bag and re-bag my gear. I didn't rush and things worked out OK.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I have ridden in rain before but never like this. It started with just a few drops when I left T1 to very heavy wind driven rain that hurt. My goal was to eat and drink small amounts every fifteen minutes with a full energy bar on the hour. I carry everything but water with me on the bike. This seemed to work very well. My pacing was based on hear-rate not speed. I stayed mostly with in 120-130 range. I consistently backed out of passing zone when I felt the effort would push me outside my limits. At mile 50 I still felt strong but I intentionally slowed just a bit, ate some more, stretched as best I could, pee’d and began to prepare myself mentally for the run. Through out the entire bike I encouraged those whose passed me and where passed by me. It was the toughest ride I ever made and they will have my respect and admiration for ever.

Nothing. I am very heappy with my results.
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

I was soaked but my socks and shoes were dry. I couldn't get my dry socks over my wet feet. I finally just sat down to put my shoes and socks on. Bagged my gear and away I went.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 59m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt good, cadence seemed like I was still cycling but I stayed with it. My only goal during the run was to run the entire distance. I watched my heart rate and calculated my pace at each mile. I was running faster then I expected but I felt good. I continued to cheer the other athletes and thanked every volunteer. I carried a gel bottle but relied on the aid stations for water, gatorade and cola. I took a bit of something at each one. At the halfway may cadence had slowed but my pace remained fairly constant and I was starting get tired, but it was nice to be on the second lap. My running told me, when I feel bad, to tell my self. "I think I can". Every time I thought of it I told myself " I know I can" and kept running. About mile 8-9 I started to get dizzy/light headed and slowed a bit took some extra gatorade and cola at the aid stations. At mile 10 I knew I had enough in me to get it done. I was catching people that had passed me earlier in the run. I was starting to feel better so I picked up the pace again passing even more people. Before I knew I was I turned onto the street for the final stretch into the finish. People where cheering, cow bells ringing and I felt good. I all but bested my stand alone half-marathon time by running the entire distance.

Nothing. I nearly PR'd my stand alone 1/2 Marathon time.
Post race
Warm down:

Food, pinic table, hugging my wife and staying warm. I did take an epsom salt bath later. Seemed to make the world of difference the next day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Smoking cigarettes and eating junk for 30+ years.

Event comments:

I can not say enough about the voluteers, friends and family that stood in the pouring rain and supported us. T tried to thank each and every one of them as I passed by. They and my fellow athletes were my inspiration and motivation. Because of them I had the best race of my life.

Last updated: 2009-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:33 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/49
Overall: 428/1156
Performance: Average
Low to medium effot.
Suit: Full - Pro Motion
Course: 1 Clockwise Rectangle-Loop around Luck Peak.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:51:15 | 56 miles | 19.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/49
Overall: 373/1156
My goal was to keep heart rate in 120-130 range.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Some city streets, mostly county roads thru the farm country around Boise. Some hills but fairly flat compared to roads I train on.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:59:31 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/49
Overall: 528/1156
My goal was 140-150 range for the run.
Course: 2 loops on a flat green belt that runs along the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes