Ram Racking
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 19s
Overall Rank = 271/1363
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 43/122
Pre-race routine:

Arrive in downtown H.P. at about 6:25. Walk the one mile to race start, drop of stuff at gear check and walk over to the start area. Luckily I didn't have to go to the bathroom, as the lines were typically huge right before the start.
Event warmup:

The walk from the car.
Run
  • 1h 42m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The field started out being very crowded, and it was hard to find space to move into and around slower runners. After the first mile, it widened out a bit, and people started to spread out. Really nice course, mostly shaded, and with nice scenery. I held 7:50's as I wanted pretty well until mile 10, and then the plan was to try to kick it in the last 3 miles, but there was nothing left to kick it in with. There were not gels passed out on the course, and I was disappointed and surprised to learn this, as I didn't bring any along. I could have used the energy boost right around mile 8. All in all a very nice course, and a decent race for me.
What would you do differently?:

Plan to be self sufficient on the course. I was constantly telling my self to slow down and hold my planned place the whole time, one of these times I'm going to just run however fast my body feels like going and see what happens.
Post race
Warm down:

Grab a snack a water and my finisher flip flops and walk back to the car.

Event comments:

This run would be a 5 star race but for the fact that there were no gels available on the course, even though Hammer Nutrition was the main sponsor.

Great course, and otherwise a well run race.

Last updated: 2009-03-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:19 | 13.1 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/122
Overall: 271/1363
Performance: Good
Course: A very nice course will several gradually rising small hills. Also one major decent and climb around mile 8. Saw lots of people walking this, but it wasn't really too bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-27 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: North Shore Half Marathon

2009-06-28 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2247545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: North Shore Half Marathon
Have you done this race before?  I believe this is the first year that Ram was running it.  I'm wondering how it compares to previous years.  Past years of this race have been lacking.  No swag, no medal, lousy post race food.  The ram event I did was really well run so I'm hoping they've fixed up this event cause the course is really good.  
2009-06-29 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2249000

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: North Shore Half Marathon
The swag was great. Great tech shirt, finisher medal, metal water bottle, (cheap) gear bag, tech hat, and FINISHERS FLIP FLOPS!! In my opinion, the best race give away ever.

Food was a barbeque with burgers and stuff which was ok. There was a band playing and people stayed for a while. All in all a nice event in a great location, with excellent swag.

My only complaint was no gels on the course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Shore Half Marathon Rss Feed