United States
Element Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 18s
Overall Rank = 69/143
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/21
Pre-race routine:

Walked the dog, ate a bowl of oatmeal and had some coffee then a couple glasses of H2O. Should have gotten up earlier and had some more coffee - I know, bad for me, but its my one bad habit that I don't want to kick - ok, maybe I have other bad habits, but I love coffee. Ended up with a bit of a lack of caffeine headache so next time, I'm up earlier and will properly dose with coffee and it'll also give me more time to digest some food.
Event warmup:

Just some basic stretching, no real warm-up.
Swim
  • 18m 27s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very weedy. Got weeds caught in my arms through a lot of the swim. Was pleased with my sighting this time though and also didn't have nearly the number of problems that I had in AA - only kicked in the face once :)
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Haven't mastered the flying start, but I had not problem getting into the clips and getting going.
Bike
  • 48m 30s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Having to climb a hill, even a gentle one after the swim killed me. I was seriously winded and was at least 5 miles before I caught my breath. This was an average ride for me, but not sure what I'd do differently.

About 3 miles into it I started getting a splitting headache - sharp pains on either side of my head above and behind my ears. I thought at first it was due to the long ride I'd had a few days prior and my neck muscles complaining, but then it dawned on me that it was my dang sunglasses. Every once in a while they pinch me the wrong way and cause a real sharp pain. I took them off, stowed them in my bento box and the pain went away. Funny thing is, though, that I was able to put the glasses back on for the run and they were fine.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Haven't got the hang of pulling my feet out of my shoes on the bike. I just unclip, dismount and run. This was slower than my time in AA. Had trouble getting my shoes off - the velcro caught on my sock.

Learn to pull my feet out of the shoes while on the bike.
Run
  • 37m 40s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a good run at all, very slow. My legs felt like lead after getting off the bike and I just couldn't get going. My shins were tight through most of the race too. My goal was to seriously improve on the run and that didn't happen.

Drink something in transition. I was parched by the time I got to the first aide station.
Post race
Warm down:

Stumbled to the water cooler and got something to drink. Was wishing the Racing Greyhounds were there with a cold beer - I really could have used one!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor hydration, lack of coffee in the morning ( ya, I know, coffee doesn't help the hydration ). Was also feeling a bit queezy when I got up - hacking some stuff up out of my lungs - think I've been fighting off a cold or something for the last few days.

Event comments:

Overall it was very well organized.

Last updated: 2009-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:27 | 875 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 64/143
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleevless
Course: Kind of a triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:28
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:30 | 15 miles | 18.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 57/143
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Very hilly course - went toll booth to toll booth. Roads in Kensington are in better shape than AA, but still a lot of bumps. Coming off the hill next to the farm had to come out of aero position cuz the bike was airborne over some of those bumps.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:40 | 04 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 78/143
Performance: Below average
Course: Some hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-28 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: Kensington Triathlon Series 2

2009-07-01 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2248576

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: RE: Kensington Triathlon Series 2
You are super fast on the bike...I can't believe you can hold that pace at Kensington!  Awesome work...you are now solidly a MOP triathlete in only 2 races!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kensington Triathlon Series 2 Rss Feed