Georgia Multisports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 18s
Overall Rank = 75/914
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/145
Pre-race routine:

Got into ATL the day before, got some pasta from Macaroni Grill. I've had a really weird appetite as of late...nauseous and really not wanting to eat. I ate anyway because I knew I had too. But, still ended up feeling sick after a couple of bites of pasta so that's all I ate. Now that I'm not in Atlanta, racing in Atlanta is an interesting thing. I'm usually staying with a non-athlete friend who I haven't seen in a month. So I'm up and talking and catching up, etc. And couches aren't the most comfortable pre-race sleeping arrangements. Because of that, I only got a few hours of sleep the night before.

I woke up at 4:15am to leave to go up to Buford. I tried to eat breakfast, but again, felt nauseous anytime I tried to eat. So, I think I consumed maybe 1/3-1/2 of a powerbar.
Event warmup:

Um, inflated my tires. That was about it. My tummy still felt cruddy, so I went to the port-a-potty 3 times (um, 1 time is gross enough...). At this point in the morning, I started to get hungry and tried to eat some banana. But then felt nauseous again. I was starting to get really worried that I was going to vomit on the race course or passout. Neither were good options. I spent most of the 45minutes on the beach before the swim start with my squatting down with my head in my hands trying not to barf.
Swim
  • 12m 12s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not sure what happened here...I was feeling like this was going to be a good improvement on last year...turns out I swam more slowly. WTF. I felt good, I felt like I was passing people, and I felt like I was swimming strong. My sighting wasn't too awful, and I don't think I swam in zig-zags like I normally do. I rounded the bouy pretty wide to avoid the clumping, still ended up kicking a lot of people in the face. :-/
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I'm really bummed about this one. Well, I'm moving to 4dy/wk swim practice starting this week...I'm going to work really hard on endurance swims.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

So, I've been racing with my cycling shoes--which I love. They are very nice cycling shoes, but my, I struggled with them during this transition. I think I'm going to have to get tri shoes.

I had forgotten how painful this transition was, with having to run up that steep steep hill to get to the transition area and all. But, that's no excuse for this awful transition time.

have layout of my transition area better, get tri (one velco strap) shoes, learn to jump on the bike
Bike
  • 1h 02m 37s
  • 18 miles
  • 17.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Both a little disappointed and a little happy with this segment. I should preface it with: last year I did the 18mi in 1:20...got a flat tube (I think) that year...it was miserable. So, this year was a definite improvement.

Overall, the ride was good. It was at this point in the race that I realized I was going to be garmin-less, which shouldn't have been a problem, but it's nice to know what my pace is so I can tell whether I need to pick it up. I didn't let anyone pass me permanently (I re-overtook anyone who passed me)...and I passed a lot of people, so I was feeling really good about the ride.

When I got my time, though, I was disappointed. The course was kinda hilly (or I felt like it was), but, I rode more than 1 mph slower than I did in my last olympic. If I can ride 25 miles at 19ishmph, I should be able to ride 18mi in that. But, different courses, different days, etc.

The big moment of the race today: I RODE IN AERO. Which is a feat for me! I've been avoiding aero because it scares me and every time I tried before I nearly (or actually do) run off the road. But, I rode most of this bike portion in aero! And now, I wonder why I was ever not riding in aero.

I'm still struggling with drinking while riding, though, at least I didn't lose my aerodrink this race. But, consuming nutrition and fluids on a ride is really not something I'm able to do without landing myself in a ditch.

Also, I'm noticing that I thrive on hills. I know that supposedly people built like me (i.e. tall and solid) are supposed to be better for flat stretches, but I love me some hills.

Charge my garmin. Learn to drink while riding
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

ah, just when you thought my transitions couldn't get any worse...I was all pumped from my bike and came into the shoot and dismounted. I started jogging along to get into the transition area, I saw Giorgia and Giuseppe, said hi...then was on the ground. Not really sure what happened, but i ended up with two pretty big gauges in my leg. I was bleeding pretty profusly, but I didn't notice at the time. But the fall over my bike knocked both tires out of alignment so they weren't rolling. At that point i had to pick up my bike and carry it into transition on my shoulder.

not fall over my bike. notice when i'm bleeding all over my shoes.
Run
  • 24m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is really where I mentally break down...but, this time, the run wasn't sooo bad. After a mile my legs started loosening up. Before that, though, I was about to stop and slow down to walk up a hill (bad penny), and then Pip Taylor comes up behind me (warming down on the course b/c she had already finished) and was like "come on, you can keep running..." and well, when Pip Taylor tells you to run, you run. So I ran.

I need to get more brick workouts in so that I can get more confident in my ability to overcome the jello legs feeling.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked over to talk to ATC-ers. that was it. Oh, and I cleaned up my bloody leg (though, not before my right running shoe was turned a bloody pink).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

MENTAL. I raced pretty conservatively because I was scared that I was going to bonk. I don't feel all that exhausted now, so I think I could have raced harder. My brain gets in the way a lot telling me "you are tired, you are going to die, you can't do this" But, I can. I can do it. I really need to work on my mental prep more than anything.

Other than that, get more efficient on transitions, be much more aggressive in the water...and well, much more aggressive racing in general.

Last updated: 2009-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:12 | 586 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/145
Overall: 0/914
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Point to Point
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average