United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 58s
Overall Rank = 300/335
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 22/24
Pre-race routine:

Had homemade quiche and broccoli for dinner.
Packed everything up Saturday night.
Got to sleep by 10 and slept well until baby woke at 3am.
Got up at 4, had a glass of water and bowl of cereal. Packed up drinks for race - Gatorade in aero bottle, water in cage bottle. Helped the husband pack snacks for the kids. Made PB&J. Got the kids up & everyone out the door at 4:45.
Event warmup:

The walk from the parking lot to transition was a warm up! It was stupid far from where we had to be. I was wearing my sons flip flops which gave me a blister between first and second toe - NICE! If I had any idea how far parking was from transition I would have worn my running shoes.
Got marked, racked bike, set up my stuff hung out with the fam and then went for a 50m swim in the bath/pool. OMG! The water was miserable and made me warmer than I was before. The photographers/fam came into the pool area and I got in line.
Swim
  • 07m 19s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

The people in front and behind seemed pretty cool and we talked about passing before we all got in the pool. I was just a tad bit anxious standing in the water listening to the guy count down for me. The first 100 was fine, under the rope and GULP - I took in a bunch of water and told the guy behind me to pass. He was SLOW so I passed him almost immediately and then I passed another. I had a mini panic around 175 with all the bodies/turbulance. I had Justin's voice in my head and was trying to rotate my body and bring my elbows up. When I started focussing on my form the panic left. I pass another 3-5 swimmers. At one point the gal in front of me was walking but I couldn't pass her because the lane was already 3 wide so I had to walk around her and then swim again. I found the pool swim rather bizaar and was surprised how many people were panicking. With the one exception it was easier to pass than I thought it would be. I wish I knew my overall rank but the website doesn't provide that.
Heard my husband yelling my name out of the pool and he ran along with me on the other side of the fence for a few yards :)

I am proud of my swim and it is the only bright spot.
What would you do differently?:

Practice going under the rope.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

Ugh! This is where it ALL went wrong!!! As you can see my T1 time sucks azz! First I took too much time getting the grass and crap off my feet. The second issue was my friggin hair! I wasn't paying attention when I put my hair up and I put it in a high pony tail like I usually do before a swim. However, the helmet won't fit on my head with a high pony tail so I'm standing in transition trying to move my pony tail down enough to get my damn helmet on. Obviously my hair is wet so it's not cooperating. This really pissed me off!

Think.
The old guy was yelling at us telling us races are lost in transition and I really wanted to punch him!
Bike
  • 47m 38s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I got passed a LOT on the bike. The only people I passed where those who could have given birth to me or I could have given birth to. Not pretty. I was in pain the whole ride. The only consolation was I kept telling myself once I finished the bike I could get OFF that friggin saddle!

I hate my saddle! Obviously I was in trouble out of T1 and I am not speedy on the bike by any means but I know my saddle issues slowed me down for sure.
The good news is that I learned from Tuesday's brick I need to stop drinking on the bike or I will pay for it dearly on the run. I stopped drinking about 1/2 way through and I think that was a good decision. I am also glad my husband installed an aero bottle the day before. I spent most of the race in aero - not that it seemed to help.
I am also having shifting issues since my little 0mph fall, my bike likes to shift all on it's own which makes for an interesting ride.

A fellow tri'er leant me her saddle to try on Tuesday. I thought about putting in on my bike but worried about anything new on race day. I should have used it. Nothing could have been worse for me than the saddle I currently have.
One gal in my A/G I did pass was on a cruiser with a saddle the size of my couch - I had serious couch/saddle envy right then.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I think my favorite part of this race were the guys in T2 that racked our bikes for us! I wanted to kiss him :) I am ok with my T2 time.
Run
  • 40m 9s
  • 3 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't pass many people but those I passed I always talked to.
Some people had hoses & sprinklers out and I thanked them VERY much!
At the first water station I grabbed 2 cups, one to drink from and one to pour on me. I took a sip and then poured and the water was FREEZING which took my breath away and I choked on my sip of water.
I was hoping for a race buddy or at least some booty. Some guy behind me started singing Mustang Sally and I joined in. Nice race booty. At the 2nd water station I remembered to swallow the water and THEN pour. I found a pace buddy in a 17 year old girl with a Camelback and full make up :) She was adorable, this was her first tri. I really wanted to stop but told her if she kept going I would too. We stayed right with each other. When they told us 300 yards I said "My name is Keri" she said "Mine too" and we had a laugh. At 100 yards I grabbed her hand and raised it up for the photographer. At 50 yards she said "Are you ready" I said "You go Girl" and she took off like a shot! I had picked up my pace but didn't have a sprint in me. I finished with a smile but was pretty miserable.
I had left side lower back cramps from 1.5 on.

Not sure what to do differently. Maybe not live in Texas? I didn't walk the course at all though it probably looked like I was.
I need to get faster if for no other reason so I can finish and stop running :)

Post race
Warm down:

Can I say how much I HATE that I have to stop and let the sweet lady take the chip off??? I HATE that part. I want to walk in circles and hug my husband I don't want to stop. Once I stop I want to lay down. I was surprised where I hurt immediately after - my back, my whole back and shoulders felt exhausted and I was hunched over, standing straight up was exhausting. I walked around a bit then found some shade and sat down. My family is awesome and brought me everything I asked for. Drank some Emergen'C after and think that really helped with my recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Where do I start?
The #1 issue is my saddle simply because it made the race unbearable.
I need to get better at T1 and spend more running outside - but I REALLY don't want to!

Event comments:

I have to say other than my saddle soreness this morning I am VERY disappointed in my time and rank. I didn't look yesterday and am glad I didn't. When I saw my numbers this morning I wanted to cry. Starting to question this whole tri thing.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:19 | 328 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/24
Overall: 0/335
Performance: Good
50 meter pool dual start snake swim.
Suit: LG Tri Suit
Course: I would have paid extra if someone put a few chests of ice in the water. People watching was fun, some interesting folks in interesting suits :)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:47:38 | 12 miles | 15.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/24
Performance: Bad
My T1 issues continued as I was exiting. I tried to mount too soon. My glasses were completely fogged up and I couldn't see a thing! It took me forever to get on my bike then I couldn't clip in. Get the friggin shoes in the friggin pedals, people are watching!
Wind: Little
Course: The course was fine, not hilly or anything but there were some intersections where I had to ask which way to go. There were quite a few sharp u-turns and I need to practice my cornering.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:09 | 03 miles | 13m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/24
Performance: Below average
I am slow, it was hot, I am slow.
Course: The first part of the run was along a bayou on a gravel course which was pretty deep/sandy in some areas. Most of the run was through a neighborhood finishing in grass.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: Y Tri Freedom Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-29 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2249831

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Y Tri Freedom Sprint Triathlon
Sorry I missed you at the race Good job out there, don't get discouraged... sounds like you had some equipment/bike issues that didn't make it easy on you. When is the next 288 group swim?
2009-06-29 9:52 AM

Regular
Newport Beach

Way to work through the issues.  Love how you still able to support others as well.  Re. the saddle issues, some of the online tri stores have demo programs so you have the opportunity to try some of the saddles (like the ISM Adamo) before laying down $ without knowing if they will actually work for you.

2009-06-29 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

Good seeing ya at the race!  We all have good and bad days.  Don't give up yet!  Just remember the amazing feeling of accomplishment when you cross that finish line! 

I know what you are talking about regarding the saddle.  I'm still trying to adjust to mine. 

2009-06-29 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
It was good to see you at the race yesterday.  Good job finishing...remember that is more rewardign than anything.  I think it is great that you are out there competing in a sport that is not easy.  Don't give up and keep working hard.
2009-06-29 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Great Job Keri!!!!! It was also a pleasure meeting your family. I could tell your sons were very proud of you. I as enjoyable watching your one son run around the place trying to get the best photo of you in action.

2009-06-29 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran

Congrats on your race, Keri! Very cool that you had the opportunity to pair up with someone on the run
Take these things that happened during the tri and use them as a learning experience -- your times will improve and you will get into the groove

2009-06-29 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Hang in there Keri!  We all have those "races from hell", but you kept going and that's what matters most.  You rocked the swim and for that I am very jealous!     I was the opposite - bad swim, great bike.  I know you will do great on the next one!!!
2009-06-29 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Great job on your race!! Was it any cooler in Pearland than Sugarland?? I felt really disappointed last year after my second race. I don't know why! I had set a time for myself and was 26 seconds slower. Maybe it's just a bit of a let down after your first time. The cap for Sugarland was 700 and there were over 80 racers listed as DNS on the results (over 10%). Be proud of yourself for getting out there in this heat wave and getting it done!! 

What's next?
2009-06-29 11:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Good to see you at the race. Hang in there....you are awesome for being a part of this sport...finishing in hellacious conditions...and balancing it all with being a great wife and mother. How cool to have such a supportive family. Keep it up!!!
2009-06-30 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2251655

User image

Pro
Houston
lufferly - 2009-06-29 6:46 PM Great job on your race!! Was it any cooler in Pearland than Sugarland?? I felt really disappointed last year after my second race. I don't know why! I had set a time for myself and was 26 seconds slower. Maybe it's just a bit of a let down after your first time. The cap for Sugarland was 700 and there were over 80 racers listed as DNS on the results (over 10%). Be proud of yourself for getting out there in this heat wave and getting it done!! 

What's next?

I think you are absolutely right!  With the first the expectatons were only to finish and at the end of that race I felt GREAT!
This time didn't live up to my first.  I was impressed with my swim which was the worst leg of my first race, I have to look at the positive.  Yesterday morning after seeing the numbers I was dishartened but feeling much better today.

Now I am not sure what is next.  The original plan was Bridgeland which is longer, the other option is TriGirl.  I need to decide which to do.

Thanks everyone for your sweet posts, I really appreciate it.Smile

2009-06-30 8:05 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Great job their woman!  You had many more bright spots than just the swim.  Think about how much you can take away from this and apply it at the next race.  See... good stuff after all!!!!  You rock!

See you soon. 
2009-06-30 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
I say you do Bridgeland........
2009-06-30 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2252668

User image

Pro
Houston
Houstonrider - 2009-06-30 8:47 AM I say you do Bridgeland........

No surprise there.

IF I do TriGirl I would definitely volunteer for Bridgeland.  I wouldn't miss watching all you guys race.
2009-06-30 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
You know my vote is for TriGirl, cause that's where I'll be. 

Besides, I am obviously not quite ready for a longer OWS yet.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Y Tri Freedom Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed