AA Sports, Ltd.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 190/544
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/57
Pre-race routine:

Drove from camp to the bus for transportation. Hydration start 2 days in advance. Ate bananas, milk, ...
Event warmup:

Stretching, jog 1/2 mile, checked on my TI trans a dozen times. Race started late again.
Swim
  • 33m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Came out fast with front group, lost control of breathing, had to stop and breast stroke/tread water to get control. Frustrated/panicked as the front group pulled away. Did not find my pace until about 500-600 yards into the swim. Then felt okay, but still slow. Wondering if elevation was a factor at all (live at sea level, raced at ~3600ft).
What would you do differently?:

Start slower, try to relax more, swim my "own" swim. Based on training at Greenlake in Seattle I had expected to get out of the water in ~25 minutes.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Was disappointed with my swim time! Some girl crossed me at a diagonal as she was going over to a spectator between the ramp and the bike racks. I bumped her, didn't expect it. Wasn't sure if it was my fault.

Get a better swim time, that would help me stay positive at T1.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 48s
  • 28 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on this portion and this portion of the race only. There were over 500 competitors plus the duathlon. It was ridiculous moving through the pack, particularly since I had such a poor swim time and was in the 4th wave. Blocking, drafting... too much of that on this tight course. There were a lot of inexperienced people (including me - this was my first event)... but many people just didn't have a clue as to respecting the lanes. Lots of people!!

Maybe slow down a bit and preserve energy for the run. Not sure.

Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Very crowded finish. The lady in front of me got off her bike a came to a complete stop for a few seconds. I almost ran into her; braked through an endo. Was able to pass on foot and get to T2 bike rack. Felt good on exit of T2 and didn't waste much time. Forgot to remove gloves. Drank two cups of water/elec at exit.

Not sure.
Run
  • 54m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt hot and tired pretty much immediately - it was about 85 degrees(?). Was passed by a few people I had passed on the bike, but maintained okay. The first mile felt unexpectedly long and hot. Found my pace around mile 2, but could not muster the power to speed up to goal pace. I felt heavy.

Not sure - train more I suppose. The heat and elevation were different than training environment.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold shower and cold water, sitting, stretching (a bit), standing. Felt pretty f'dup for a good 10 minutes; not myself for another 20.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training or experience.

Event comments:

The logistics were a real pain. T1 is at the lake, T2 is at an elementary school 28 miles away, and the finish line is a mile or so from T2. Spectating the day before and scouting the route... and then getting setup required more coordination, effort, and $ than preferred. We had to bus, leave our gear unattended all night, stand in line to get our bags back, and walk back to the car after the race to get supplies. I think I would prefer single point of transition/finishing.

Last updated: 2009-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:46 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/57
Overall: 0/544
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Ventilator
Course: Four bouys - in a circle to finish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:48 | 28 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Through trees and back roads. Pretty views. Felt like a lot of downhill with one small climb. I was 50/544 on the bike rank; evidently this was my strong event. My goal pace was 22mph, so I just fell short of that.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:26 | 06.21 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Relatively flat course on asphalt greenbelt around timeshares and golf course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes