United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 55s
Overall Rank = 133/335
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/29
Pre-race routine:

Got out of bed at 3 AM. Got dressed and fixed myself an iced coffee. I put the bike rack on the truck and loaded the ice chest in the back. Made sure Tif and I had enough water and Gatorade. Then I racked the bikes. Drove an hour and a half to the race. On the way I finished my coffee and had a glass of water.

Once at the race site I checked the air in the bike tires. My back tire was flat and was not holding air when I tired to air it up...ended up having to change the tube...not a great way to start the morning since I had just taken that tire in two days ago to have it fixed. Once that was done we unloaded the rest of the stuff and we ready to walk to the transition area. I ate by PB and banana sandwich during the walk...this was too close to race time...need to make sure to eat earlier next time.
Event warmup:

Walked from the parking area to the transition area...this was a pretty good walk. Did some stretching and swam a 100 in the nice bath water.

Drank half a bottle of water before the race started.
Swim
  • 05m 59s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really happy with my swim. I was only 9 seconds behind the Rhino and this is awesome for me.

I only had to deal with traffic once during the swim. During the first 50 the lane was 4 wide and the girl in front of me had to stop and this caused me to have to stop. Once we started again I was side by side with her and then at the wall I passed her. From that point on I had pretty much an open lane to myself.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to still work on using my legs more during the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

This was not a good transition for me. As a matter of fact it stunk. First of all I realized about 5 mins before the race started that I forgot to lay my race belt with number out in transition. So I had to go to my bag and get the race number and then go back to my transiton area. This was wasted time for sure.

I had issues with putting on my socks and shoes. I got a rock in my sock and had to take it off and remove the rock and then put it back on so this cost me time too.

I could have cut about a 30 secs. to a minute off my time if not for this bad transiton.

Make sure that I have everything I need from the race bag laid out before the race starts. Forgetting the race number was a bone head mistake.
Bike
  • 37m 16s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good about the bike. The course was flat and straight and this allowed me to really push. I stayed in a hard gear most of the ride. There was one portion of the race where the wind was blowing right in my face and I was not able to keep the pace as high...however, I did make myself push hard and not slow down too much.

I need to learn to take turns without having to slow down too much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

I had to deal with another participant in T2. He decided to move his towel out into the middle of the row and right in front of my transition area to put on his running shoes. Having to move around him to rack my bike and get to my shoes slowed me up a little. I was really shoting for under a minute in this transition.

I don't think I could have done much different here. The extra time in this transition was not due to my bone head mistakes.
Run
  • 29m 16s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out a little slow on the run and it took me a bit to get up to a good pace. I would push the pace and then slow down and I did this through the entire run. Most of the run course was shady so that was nice and towards the end there was a man who put his sprinkle in the street for the runners to go through...that was sweet!

About the last half mile another runner hooked on to my shoulder. She said she did better if she could follow somebody...I did not mind because this actually helped me the last bit of the race.

I sprinted to the end and felt like I did not have anything left in me.

I would have pushed the pace for longer intervals. I really need to learn to maintain that higher pace for a longer amount of time.
Post race
Warm down:

Enjoyed the nice cold towel and drank a bottle of water. Stretched a little and visited with the woman that ran on my shoulder the last bit of the race.

Ate a few slices of pizza and a banana.

Enjoyed a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad fist transition due to my lack of paying attention when setting up my transisiton area.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed this race. I had fun and would do it again.

Last updated: 2009-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:59 | 328 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/29
Overall: 0/335
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 50 meter pool. Swam down and back three times.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:16 | 12 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/29
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was flat and straight for the most part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:16 | 03 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/29
Performance: Average
Course: Ran from the transition area on the road to a running/walking trail and then through a neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Y Tri Freedom Sprint Triathlon

2009-06-29 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2250087

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Y Tri Freedom Sprint Triathlon
Good seeing you gals!

Nice race!  I think I would have yelled at the guy on your T2.  You're nicer than I.  
2009-06-29 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Congrats on a great race!

2009-06-29 11:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Nice job out there...keep working hard. You are going to be an AG contender in no time. I'm proud of you...and way to rock the swim. 9 seconds behind me? That's scary...guess I have some work to do. Laughing
2009-06-29 11:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the kind words everyone.  The end result was bitter sweet for me.  I was going for a top 5 finish in the AG group, but 7th is the best I have done so far.  Overall I am pleased with my race.
2009-06-30 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2252273

User image

Master
Houston
Don't let 2 measly spots take away from a good race, you can't control what everyone else does or who is at the race. Great race, congrats!

2009-06-30 10:56 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME JOB NIKKI!!!  Be proud of 7th...that is GREAT!   Next time pretend to trip as you pass the guy and dump a gel on his head.  :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Y Tri Freedom Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed