General Discussion Race Reports! » 12th Annual Memorial Hermann Sugarland Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

12th Annual Memorial Hermann Sugarland Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sugarland, Texas
United States
Finish Line Sports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 56s
Overall Rank = 307/
Age Group = 34-39
Age Group Rank = 30/72
Pre-race routine:

Once again, I forgot my pre-race 1/2 PB&J! I ended up using a Gu about a 1/2 hour before my race. I probably should have waited a bit longer since it actually took about 50 minutes to even get into the pool.
Event warmup:

Ride from parking lot to event, lol!
Swim
  • 09m 1s
  • 328 yards
  • 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seriously, I am not sure what happened here but I am very disappointed in my performance. At first, I was annoyed that I ended up with the 10 minute pace group, but since I was so slow it actually ended up working out well for me. I think I went out too fast (for me) in the 1st 100 and got pretty winded. I did that despite saying I wouldn't do it. That made the next 100 difficult, but I did some sidestroke to catch my breath. Okay, a lot of sidestroke! Last 100 was a little better, but realize I need to train a lot more on the swim. I did pass one person, but the got passed by 3 people. This is definitely still my achilles hill.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. Work on endurance. Not start out too fast.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

I felt like I was going fast, but could definitely do better. I did take another Gu and a drink of gatorade in T1.

No worry so much about drying off my feet...what a time waster! Also, learn to drink while riding with more confidence so I can take a gu while riding. :-)
Bike
  • 32m 2s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I love the bike! It felt slow at 1st, especially with the occasional headwind. Pace on the way out was slower than I was shooting for, but fortunately I had a tailwind on the way back which helped me make up for lost time! I did get passed a couple of times, but I passed a bunch of people...yippe! However, I think that was mostly due to me being toward the end of the swimmers. I think the bike is going to be my strong event. I felt that I had redeemed myself a little here after my slow swim.

Get shoes and clipless pedals...get rid of the cages! Get faster!
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

This one is cake for me since I still bike in my running shoes.

Need to work on dismounting bike more quickly. Also, I wasted time racking bike with the seat..it would have been quicker to rack it the other direction.
Run
  • 31m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Yeah, I'm slow here...working on it, but still slow! I forgot to put on my Garmin as I was leaving transition, so I had no idea of my pace. In my 1st tri, I maintained a 9:50 pace, but figured with the additional mile and the warm/humid temps, I would be happy with anything under 10:30. My shins started cramping up on the beginning of the run, so I walked for a minute or so. I did walk through the water stops. Thoroughly enjoyed that they had someone spraying everyone with a water hose and cold, wet sponges at each water stop too! I started to bonk mid-way through mile 3 and took another minute or so to walk. I wanted to speed up at the end, but the uneven ground and fatigue got the best of me. As I was crossing the finish mats I remember thinking that I need to train harder and do more bricks. This sport can be very humbling at times.

More training in the heat and more bike/run bricks. Speed work! Overall, I am not too disappointed with my time. I am not a fast runner and it was hot as hell out there!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a real coke (yum), a 1/2 PB&J and a banana and chatted with Kelly for a bit. When I was finally ready to leave, I thought I had lost my keys! Luckily, I found them...thought I was going to have to call AAA for a minute there. :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Better nutrition, not enough training in the heat.

Event comments:

Overall, I thought this was a great race. The volunteers were friendly and helpful and the course was great. They had a good post-race party with food - including Double Dave's Pizza. I do wish they would add a more centrally located packet pick-up option at least one day and get a different technical shirt (rather than the ones that look like t-shirts).

Last updated: 2009-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:01 | 328 yards | 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 58/72
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: n/a
Course: Pool swim in 50m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:02 | 10 miles | 18.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/72
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course was great. Very flat with a few small "bumps" that I couldn't exactly call hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:52 | 03 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/72
Performance: Average
Course: Flat course through neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: 12th Annual Memorial Hermann Sugarland Triathlon

2009-06-29 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2250863

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: 12th Annual Memorial Hermann Sugarland Triathlon
You did rock the bike!!!  Yay for you! 
My husband referred to the swim as a 'human washing machine' lots of waves and body parts.  I can totally see getting overwhelmed.  I told myself I could go side if I needed to but did fine with the free.  You transition times are also great!!!

When is your next one?
2009-06-29 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I am still thinking about Jeff and Brede's in 2 weeks, since that's the only one I can find nearby in July.  But, I better check to see if the registration is still open.  Otherwise, I will be doing TriGirl next.  Then, I think I'll be done for the season...time to ramp up the 1/2 marathon training for San Antonio, yippee!!
2009-06-29 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Houston
Congrats on a great race, it was a hot one for sure! Those cold sponges and spray sounded great. Smoking bike split especially for no clips!
2009-06-30 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2251340

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
evondo - 2009-06-29 4:22 PM Congrats on a great race, it was a hot one for sure! Those cold sponges and spray sounded great. Smoking bike split especially for no clips!

Thanks!  I think the hubby has convinced me to get new pedals and shoes.  Time to go shopping!
2009-06-30 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
The swim is always humbling for me too.  AWESOME bike ride in cages!  You will be even faster once you get clips.  Way to beat the heat! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 12th Annual Memorial Hermann Sugarland Triathlon Rss Feed