United States
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m
Overall Rank = 332/762
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 12/54
Pre-race routine:

FIRST THING, I WROTE JRS ON MY HAND. i wanted to remember who i was riding/running and for. this race was in honor of an incredible young man and two beautiful children, who died of cancer. JOHN, RILEY, SAWYER, you will never be forgotten by those that love you. and cancer, you are a theif and a tyrant, but when we ride/run, WE LIVESTRONG.

Same old same old. wheat bread, eggs, fruit for breakfast. donned on my cycling gear and packed my running gear. i did down a 1/2 a Honey Stinger right before the race. im wondering if i should have taken the whole thing.
Event warmup:

i rode over to the park. this was a huge 'challenge' for me as i am/was scared to death to ride on this particular rode near my house (it can be VERY busy during the day) which is the ONLY way to the park. i have to admit, after the ride, what was the big deal. it was early enough that i had the road pretty much all to myself. i completely overestimated the time it would take me to get to the park. had i timed it 'better' (next year ill know) i would have benefitted more from the cycling jaunt just prior to the run. (like a tri) but i got to the park early and spent quite a bit time standing around, losing those energized legs you get from being on the bike. next year....
Run
  • 29m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

the first mile of the run was FANTASTIC. i wish every run i felt THAT good. it was deliberated, focused pace. i didnt go 'hog wild' i just felt comfortable, then as i started into mile 1.5ish, things started to feel off. my guess it was the heat and the asphalt (again) im not sure having gone down w heat stroke, that im gonna be 'susceptible' to it, or if this is just a 'mental' thing with me. but i just felt like i was 'breaking down' some into miles 1.5-2.75. after a few walk breaks (WAY more than i've ever taken before in a race) i was able to 'kick it in' the final .75 of a mile. but, man oh man, what i would give to be able to run the final 1.6 the way i ran the first 1.
What would you do differently?:

funny thing is, as crappy as a i felt and as many times as i walked (all BREIF in duration) this was actually my BEST time ever at a 5K. AND i ran the pace that ive been training at w my speedwork sessions, which only started 3 weeks ago (right after my 150 recovery) SO....all that to say, im not sure i would change that much, to be honest. if i could run that 'well' feeling 75%, on a tough course and run a better time than i did when i was running at my peak/pre-injury, STILL getting a PB, that's pretty damn good. im thinking more PBs are in the near future for me.
Post race
Warm down:

well theres always Ritas. :) and i did take a quick ride around the park just to loosen up a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

more time on speedwork. im thinking 3 weeks does not make a faster runner, but come the end of July??? we shall see. that said, im AMAZED w my progress in SUCH a short period of time. no quibbling here. and it would be nice if i had a magic wand to change the weather conditions to my liking. cloudy, cooler, and drizzly, but....you cant control the weather. uhm. and my legs didnt feel 'fresh' maybe i shouldnt have done the 11.7 ride the day before or maybe i should have downed the entire Honey Stinger instead of 1/2. who knows? next time.

Event comments:

this is a great race, on a challenging course, for a wonderful cause.

Last updated: 2009-02-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:00 | 03.1 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/54
Overall: 332/762
Performance: Average
Course: HILLY. what isnt around here.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-05 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Race for Virginia

2009-07-06 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2262400

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Race for Virginia

Very nice job, especially getting a PR!  You definitely have come a long way in the short time since your injury.  And I'm sure the recent heat stroke was on your mind too.  But you pushed your way through it, and did it stupendously!!!

What's a Honey Stinger, sounds yummy?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Race for Virginia Rss Feed