General Discussion Race Reports! » Grady Williams Memorial Freedom Days Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grady Williams Memorial Freedom Days Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Farmington, New Mexico
United States
Total Time = 2h 51m 12s
Overall Rank = 24/74
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/7
Pre-race routine:

Whew! The Farmington Olympic Triathlon is no joke. Its tough. Hilly and unforgiving. At least for me. This race was the first time in recent memory that I wasn't actually racing - I was trying to finish.

I set out for Farmington on Friday with my wife Paula, hitting the road about noonish. Paula and I had our first date in Farmington, back when we were teachers on the reservation. Farmington brings back good memories for both of us, and we were exicted to return.

I met up with an old law school buddy that was also racing. We drove the course (scary hilly), and had dinner. Paula and I stayed at our friends' house that currently put up for sale. We slept (sort of) on an air mattress and shared a single pillow. I was thankful when the alarm went off. A quick bagel, yougurt, and out we went.
Swim
  • 28m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was fairly uneventful. There was a little bumping and kicking, but nothing substantial. My problem was being unable to see the buoys. I was sans contacts. I swam a good more than I needed to. After rounding the first buoy, the sun was right in my eyes when breathing to the right (which is the only side I use). After the second buoy, we were swimming right into the sun. Wow. If I couldn't sight before, I certainly couldn't now. I would look for the wake of other swimmers and stay on their tails. I thought for sure my time was going to be terrible. Although I had a good rhythm and felt strong, I was swimming all over the place. I ended up with a time of 28:35. Pretty, pretty good. I might be able to salvage a respectable time after all.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to sight better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Sandy transition. Took a long time for me. I had to pack my stuff up as the race organizers would transport it to T2.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

[Third Leg]
Off on the bike I went. I was pretty excited. I knew it started with a downhill and I was going to put up some good speeds. Sure enough, I passed a good number of people on the bike and put up a solid 12.5 mile split of 35:00. My law school buddy was a good few miles ahead of me and was looking good, but not great. Once I turned around, I quickly realized why. We had a headwind that slowed everything down. I was hurting going up the hills, and couldn't build up speed on the downhills. On about mile 16, I stopped racing. The thought was: finish this thing and race another day. The bike ended up taking 1:24:27.

not poop out.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Run
  • 55m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

[Second Leg]

I tried to start slowly, and certainly did. But I was only going to get slower. My back tightened up, and I didn't have the spark in my legs. Also, I had an injury from a soccer game the week prior, that ached with each right step.
I ended up walking at the water stations. I had to stop and stretch my back out too. I was getting passed left and right. If I wasn't running up a hill, I was running down one. The scenery itself was great. After a washerboard road and paved street, the trail turned into a mountain bike path. I had a good half-mile run on that trial all to myself. I was loosening up, and my ankle was starting to go numb. In short I was feeling good(ish). But when I finished with a time of 55:10, I knew I wasn't going to beat my Lubbock time of 2:42.

Run faster.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more hills all around.

Event comments:

Great race. Certainly challenging. I was surprised how competitive my age group was. I didn't do well, but I also didn't expect to finish last. I'm glad I raced it - motivation for next year!

Last updated: 2009-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 0/74
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Sort of a triangle / square out loop. Last leg involved swimming directly into the sun.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:27 | 24.85 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/7
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:10 | 06.21 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/7
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-06 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
OKC
Subject: Grady Williams Memorial Freedom Days Triathlon

2009-07-07 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2265191

User image

Subject: RE: Grady Williams Memorial Freedom Days Triathlon
great job! I also want to avenge this triathlon next year. we'll tech it who is the boss!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grady Williams Memorial Freedom Days Triathlon Rss Feed