General Discussion Race Reports! » 2009 CIO Solutions 3-Mile Ocean Swim at East Beach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2009 CIO Solutions 3-Mile Ocean Swim at East Beach - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Barbara, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 27s
Overall Rank = 16/40
Age Group = 25-34
Age Group Rank = 2/
Event warmup:

Walked down to the water line, let the waves crash over my feet and shout in my head "HOLY GOD THAT'S COLD."
Swim
  • 1h 14m 27s
  • 4800 meters
  • 01m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

Holy Lord. For this swim, wetsuit = DQ, so I swam without a wetsuit. All I had was my nice little drag suit which I discovered has a hole in the crotch (luckily I was wearing a speedo underneath). I was expecting to be supplied with a cap... but wasn't. All other open water swims and tri's I've done have supplied caps, primarily for safety reasons, but there were no caps today, and I don't have one of my own. So needless to say, I lost a lot of heat through my head.

At the start we ran in and I was instantly shocked by the cold. Try as I might I couldn't breathe until I rounded the first buoy, when I finally started to calm down a bit and "warm up." Then it was pretty much just a swim in really cold water. It was a small field so there wasn't much jostling for position or catching those who went out too fast and the like. I hung with this one woman for about half way but after a while she dropped me. Not like a bad habit, but enough to beat me out of the water. It was so damn cold and never really warmed up. In fact, in spots it got even colder. Although I couldn't really get to a warm spot in my head, I knew it would be warmer once I got out and there wasn't much further to go, so I just kept going and finally made it to the last buoy, made the turn in to shore and almost ate it trying to "run" in from the surf. My legs were so cold they hardly worked. I probably could have swam faster if it was a little warmer, but oh well. All I know is that surf torture and Steel Pier ain't got nothin' on me when I get back to training.
What would you do differently?:

There was really not much I could have done differently. There were a couple of instances where I thought I could have put out a little more, but my mind was going numb, let alone the rest of my body. So whatever.
Post race
Warm down:

Wrapped my towel around myself and put a hoodie on. Got to the locker room and took a nice hot shower then grabbed a hot chocolate. Then drove three and a half hours back to San Diego.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT WAS FRIGGIN' COLD.

Last updated: 2009-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:27 | 4800 meters | 01m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 16/40
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: A big "T"
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-06 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Subject: 2009 CIO Solutions 3-Mile Ocean Swim at East Beach
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2009 CIO Solutions 3-Mile Ocean Swim at East Beach Rss Feed