General Discussion Race Reports! » John Tanner Triathlon 2005 - 5K run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

John Tanner Triathlon 2005 - 5K run - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Carrolton, Georgia
Blue Sky Sports
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 28m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Loaded up the night before and got up at 3:30 to get ready and left the house at 4:15. I got a great parking space near the transition area.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 meters
  • / 100 meters
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The bike was canceled because of rain.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 28m 35s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Whatever the actual distance 2.9, 2.98, or 3.1 miles, I did a first today. I ran sub 10 minute miles in a long run. I've done single miles in the high 8's and done 400 meter repeats in what would amount to high 7's but in the last 2 1/4 years I've been training for triathlons I have not run a long run or an event at sub 10 minute pace until today.

It really helped that everyone started the run at the same time. At first I tended to try to keep up with the pack during the flatter run around the lake and then when I ended up running with people that run my pace I was able to use them to push myself to catch them or stay in front of them. Usually during a tri you end up running among better runners that leave you behind because the persons that have the same pace as you are scattered in the field depending on their swim, bike, and transitions.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to refocus on running now that I've run sub 10 pace and get my pace down as far as I can get it.
Post race
Warm down:

It was cool enough to cool everyone down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did as well as I had hoped to do in the run. I just wish we could have done the run at the end of the full event.

Event comments:

I do think that Blue Sky Sports should give everyone a break on one other event to make up for the situation. I know they can't help the weather but at the end of the run conditions were much better and if they had planned it out we could have started around 10 and done the whole event

Last updated: 2005-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
The swim was canceled because of lightning.
Suit:
Course: The swim was canceled because of lightning.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 00 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
The bike was canceled because of rain.
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:35 | 03 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Good
We did the 5K run as a consolation to the people that stayed.
Course: The 5K was started with everyone at the same time and was moved to exit the opposite side of the transition to make the mass start easier. This cut about 100 yards off of the first mile and there were comments about the first mile being up to .2 miles short because everyone had a very low time for that mile. I spotted a guy who wore a Timex Bodylink during the run and his unit said the whole course was 2.98 miles.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-04-30 2:12 PM

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: John Tanner Triathlon 2005 - 5K run

2005-04-30 2:34 PM
in reply to: #150485

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: John Tanner Triathlon 2005 - 5K run
Good to see you again! Sorry that you rented that wetsuit for nothing. On the bright side, you did get to do a fun run 5k.

Have a good afternoon,
Bethany
2005-04-30 2:44 PM
in reply to: #150491

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
I didn't see you during the run so I guess you left and didn't do the run. We need to all go after Blue Sky for not keeping an option open for starting the event even later than when they gave up. The weather was great after the run.
2005-05-02 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Hey John!

Nice to meet you this Saturday.

Thanks again for the extra plastic bag.  It didn't  help a whole lot, but it did help some.  I also appreciate all your advice on setting up my transition area.

I'm registered for Fort Yargo but I don't think I'll make Mistletoe.  Ft. Bennnig is hosting a tri on June 4th also.  But, I'm pretty sure that I'll see you at other Tri the Park races.

See you around!

2005-05-03 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Sorry we didn't meet on Saturday - at a minimum we could have stood around and grumbled together! I got there late and really was scrampling to get myself together. Glad to hear you were happy with your run time. I am so sick of coming in at the rear of thepack I can hardly stand it. 13 out of 14 is really discouraging. I would like to see the numbers if we had put the swim in there!

Anyway, I agree with you about blue Sky sports - they chould give everyone half off a race later in the season or something. And you are right - they could have done the whole thing if they had waited another 20 minutes. the only thing I can figure is that they must have had to re-open the roads by a certain time.

I was the guy who yelled out "Let's do the swim" at the end of the awards ceremony.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » John Tanner Triathlon 2005 - 5K run Rss Feed