ONURLEFT SPORTS
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 48m 8s
Overall Rank = 1/180
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at my sisters at 4:10, Dave her husband was up doing work. Good 4th of July weekend huh? That's what us tech guys get. ;)

Anyway ate a bowl of cereal and drank some water. Then got everything ready and left at 4:45
Event warmup:

Jogged the course, 2 miles.
Run
  • 11m 4s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

So I decided to do this race for two reason. A We only have two stand a lone Dus this year in the area. I need to get two in to be ranked. :) Second I wanted to see where my fitness is.

I like to take it out pretty hard at duathlons, it tends to work out well for me. So That's what I did. At the turn around I had about 20 second lead and turned that into probably a 35-45s lead at the end of the run. Basically I won this race on the first 2 miles. ;p Eitherway I was happy with my run time, as I wasn't even sure I could run sub 6. So hitting a 5:24ish first mile was good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I wasn't worried about time I moved pretty slow through here, slowly put my shoes on, slowly put my helmet on and slowly took my bike out of transition.

Get the motivation going!
Bike
  • 24m 7s
  • 9.65 miles
  • 24.01 mile/hr
Comments:

I kind of sucked here, a couple of the guys out there would of out split me no matter what, basically.. But the other two, I don't like getting out split by them. So I gotta get my cycling going! However I'm pretty sure they were all roadies because no one that out rode me could run very well.

This was the first time I wished the bike had another 5 miles or so, as the last two miles were the only ones that I felt like I had power in my legs. :) My 2nd half was a negative split by a good margin, when it should of been the slower part due to the wind.

It was kind of funny. I got to the turn around and counted my lead to be roughly 50s at the bike turn around. I remember thinking, OK lets get that up a bit so I can zone out on the 2nd run and not worry about anything. So my motivation on the bike was so that I could go easy on the run. ;p Worked I suppose as I had nearly a 2min gap when I started the run, roughly.

Not sure I could of done much different, would of like to go faster on the first half.. but I would of if I could of.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Better, but still.. just not motivated to move really quick through transition, it was odd.. Oh well. I had a good idea that I had the race in the bag by this time.

Same as t1, just get going.
Run
  • 12m 7s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Well apparently no runners showed up, because I backed off a good bit on this run and still had the fastest run. Though by a smaller margin. Ben who was the lead guy on the bike, making sure the leader didn't go off course leading everyone else off course. I know Ben, and we talked a bit during the run. I looked back, trying to spot someone behind me and finally saw someone. Took my split at the turn around to 2nd place.. it was like 2min or something, so I just cruised.

Certainly not the most competitive field, as I know I'm not in shape to win by that much in a 48min race. ;p If win at all.

Run harder? But there really was no need to. My two goals for this race were to win and be under 50min. I had both goals well in hand, so I was just out cruising.
Post race
Warm down:

Talking. Should of ran. I did however do a OWS on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of solid training over the last few months and surgery a few weeks back. Hopefully they do it again in Nov. like they think they might. I'll take a bit of time off this time. :)

Last updated: 2009-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:04 | 02 miles | 05m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 1/180
Performance: Good
5:24, 5:40
Course: Out and back, but the return route is slightly shorter, with the turn around at 1.2 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:54
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:24:07 | 9.65 miles | 24.01 mile/hr
Overall: 5/180
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Pretty nice course, only 1 U turn and two 90 degree turns. Rest of it is on a Open road that just slowly slopes North/or South depending on the way you're going ;)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:12:07 | 02 miles | 06m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 1/180
Performance: Below average
Course: Same course as the first 2 miler.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes