General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My run SUCKS, so plz tell me that it will get better Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-08 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: My run SUCKS, so plz tell me that it will get better

Hey folks...just me venting a bit here.  I got back from a really lousy run this morning and I'm feeling a bit down about it.  Here's the situation:

I'm not a natural runner - I'm a natural swimmer and a half-decent cyclist, but running is and has always been hard for me.  Doesn't help that I'm carrying some extra weight, but I'm working on that and actually making a little bit of progress.  Recently, I was diagnosed with vocal cord dysfunction, which means that my vocal cords close off my windpipe when I breathe in.  This makes my hr go sky-high.  The solution is breathing exercises and speech therapy which I have been doing, and my therapist is recommending that I retrain my running at a much lower hr than I am accustomed to.  I was used to running at 185-190 bmp, but now I'm doing everything I can to keep it below 175. Add to that a tough cycling workout yesterday with some dead legs today, and I had a super-slow 3-miler where I needed 4 walking breaks to keep my hr down.

I'm following the beginner HIM training plan to get ready for the Longhorn 70.3 in October.  But after such a bummer run today, I'm wondering how I'll ever get through a half-mary after a long cycle after a long swim.  I'm hoping that my retraining and running at the lower hr will pay off eventually, but today, I'm not convinced.  Sigh...ok, venting done.

Anyone have any encouragement to offer?

2009-07-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2269984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: My run SUCKS, so plz tell me that it will get better
Do what your doctor says! lower HR is a good thing. When I run I aim for 160 - 170 with highs on hills around 180-185. It does not always work this way and I can usually be in the 150s even if I really take it easy. You might also look into one of the running programs like POSE or ChiRunning. I have just started working on the ChiRunning system and I have already noticed a difference in effort level vs. HR when running as well as feeling more relaxed in General but these systems may not work for everyone.

Remember even if you have to run/walk the Half Mary of Longhorn, you will still be finishing it and that is what counts! take a year to train and come back next year when you can run all of it and feel great because you set an awesome PR there!
2009-07-08 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
A couple of things:

185-190 for a HR while running seems extremely high - how old are you?  i can hit 185 if i am fully recovered and doing a track workout - and i am 22.  it is very tough for me to get my HR that high. 
175 is still pretty high - especially to be doing long runs at. 

Also, if you did a hard ride yesterday - it makes sense that your legs are dead.  i know it can be frustrating, but we all have those days.  those days where we go out and it is way harder then it should be to run :30 seconds/mile slower then usual.  the cool thing is, you will also have those days where you feel awesome and can run :30 seconds/mile faster then normal!

How long have you been running for?  sometimes it is hard to remember that this sport takes a long time to improve and get good at.  during my first year,  i sure wanted to run faster, but i couldn't and i didn't.  slowly, (and i means slowly!) i was able to increase my mileage and eventually get to the point of 20ish miles per week.  from there, i was able to push it up to what i have been doing this year, which is 25-30 on average.  it really does take a while!
2009-07-08 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
hey!! I'm kindof excited to respond here. I also was diagnosed with VCD. I HATED running. I would be gasping within' minutes for air. During one half marathon, they closed up for nearly a minute and I nearly passed out at mile 4. Anyways, I agree with your therapist, run very slowly, DO NOT be afraid to walk. I haven't had an "attack" while running for 2.5 years. I think running helped me overcome my VCD. I still get attacks once in a while ( when very upset)..... goodluck!! I started as a 13-14mm, now I am 9-9.5 or so, it can be done!
2009-07-08 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2270024

User image

Extreme Veteran
gymgirlx - 2009-07-08 10:29 AM hey!! I'm kindof excited to respond here. I also was diagnosed with VCD. I HATED running. I would be gasping within' minutes for air. During one half marathon, they closed up for nearly a minute and I nearly passed out at mile 4. Anyways, I agree with your therapist, run very slowly, DO NOT be afraid to walk. I haven't had an "attack" while running for 2.5 years. I think running helped me overcome my VCD. I still get attacks once in a while ( when very upset)..... goodluck!! I started as a 13-14mm, now I am 9-9.5 or so, it can be done!

I don’t feel so bad now about running a 13-14mm. Man that can really get you down when most everyone on here is so much quicker than you are, you know...

2009-07-08 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2270021

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

ultrahip_00 - 2009-07-08 10:28 AM A couple of things:

185-190 for a HR while running seems extremely high - how old are you?  i can hit 185 if i am fully recovered and doing a track workout - and i am 22.  it is very tough for me to get my HR that high. 

Also, if you did a hard ride yesterday - it makes sense that your legs are dead.  i know it can be frustrating, but we all have those days.  those days where we go out and it is way harder then it should be to run :30 seconds/mile slower then usual.  the cool thing is, you will also have those days where you feel awesome and can run :30 seconds/mile faster then normal!

How long have you been running for?  sometimes it is hard to remember that this sport takes a long time to improve and get good at.  during my first year,  i sure wanted to run faster, but i couldn't and i didn't.  slowly, (and i means slowly!) i was able to increase my mileage and eventually get to the point of 20ish miles per week.  from there, i was able to push it up to what i have been doing this year, which is 25-30 on average.  it really does take a while!

I'm 37, and I've been running as part of my tri-training for 5 years.  I can run faster for short distances (9:30 miles on a 5K) if I ignore my hr completely, but get me anywhere near a 10K and I'm bonking out.  Hence the retraining. No way I can do a half mary at that hr.  And 175 is supposed to be my max - and I'm hitting that running 12 min/miles right now. For the easy runs, I should probably be lower than that, but I can't seem to keep it down and actually be running at any pace.  I can hit 175 on any hill no trouble at all right now.  I hope that changes.  I'm trying to be patient.....not something I'm good at.

2009-07-08 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
At 40, having never run before in my life, I am a very slow runner too.  I have doggedly been training since last fall to get my run better than the 15 minute mile, 3 mile max I started with.  I still have days when due to very sore overworked legs I average 14-15 min miles BUT my HR stays very low.  Now when I want to push it I can do 10 min miles for about a 10k and still keep my HR from maxing out.  Its taken a long time and a lot of hours of training but I really am seeing results.  I have run two half marathons.  Rested, I can easily do 12 minute miles for 10 plus miles.  I know if I keep losing weight and keep at it I will get to be fast enough to get on a podium.  Just keep on toughing it out.  This is an ENDURANCE sport.  You will get faster with time, hard work and patience.... Kiss
2009-07-08 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2270021

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
ultrahip_00 - 2009-07-08 11:28 AM A couple of things:

I am 49 yo (racing 50-54) and my LT is 186 on the run and pretty close to that on the bike.  I am in very good shape and have placed in all my races this year (except one where I came in 4th).  HR number is a number.  Do a search on BT and I am sure you'll find lots of threads on this.  So for the OP I am sure you are being told to stay in a lower zone based on YOUR HR numbers.  Not Ultraships.
2009-07-08 6:28 PM

Master

You will definitely improve. Especially when you have that "dead legs" feeling - even though it makes you slow as all heck in training, when you taper, you'll have a noticeable jump in improvement. I actually strive for those dead legs during my hard training phases.

To put it in perspective, I come from running background, and my last half marathon was at 7min/mile pace. After some heavy cycling for a few days, all my runs have been in the 10min+/mile range, if not 11-12min/mile. It's normal to feel toasted after all the legwork. You'll be better for it. 

2009-07-08 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2270362

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Lisa B - 2009-07-08 10:02 AM
ultrahip_00 - 2009-07-08 11:28 AM A couple of things:

I am 49 yo (racing 50-54) and my LT is 186 on the run and pretty close to that on the bike.  I am in very good shape and have placed in all my races this year (except one where I came in 4th).  HR number is a number.  Do a search on BT and I am sure you'll find lots of threads on this.  So for the OP I am sure you are being told to stay in a lower zone based on YOUR HR numbers.  Not Ultraships.

yeah, good point - it is all relative - and where you are running should depend on your LT.   i was just throwing out some numbers for 'reference' even though they don't exactly apply.
2009-07-08 6:36 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
" I am 49 yo (racing 50-54) and my LT is 186 on the run and pretty close to that on the bike"

Mine is also high.... in the low 180s and I'm 35... HR is definately different depending on your particular body. To the OP: It might be worth doing some test to find out your personal HR zones.

2009-07-08 6:51 PM

User image

Master
PA
This has nothing to do with your vocal cord issues that you have, so take it fwiw, but i will tell you in January i HATED running.   My background is swimming, so cycling and running were new to me.  I could do a 5K, but it was hard.  I started the first week of January running 5x/week.  After a few months it may have dropped to 4x/week some weeks, but it was very low mileage except for one longer run a week.  And in the beginning the long run was 40 mins, then 45 mins, then 50 mins, etc.  Where does it have me....in 6 months I am injury free and running long runs of 2.5-3 hours.  And I'm about to go to IMLP and run my first marathon.  I have not improved my speed on my long runs (at least training paces doen't suggest that i do), but i was focused on building up the endurance to go the distance and not on speed.  I feel neutral about running now.  Certainly don't hate it anymore.  To say i like it would be a stretch, but i don't think i'm dying and don't think it's the worst thing ever anymore.

The key was in running often and being consistent.   
2009-07-08 9:36 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by ChrisFL 2009-07-08 9:37 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My run SUCKS, so plz tell me that it will get better Rss Feed