United States
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m
Overall Rank = 210/333
Age Group = F 50-59
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

I had not decided until this morning that I was going to do the race. My other choice was a duathlon at 7:00 AM, but it was raining. I didn't even know what time it was starting, so I had to go check out a local running club website to get the details. It was an afternoon race, but I had to get there ahaead of time to register.
Event warmup:

I stretched a little bit, and jogged over to the start.
Run
  • 43m 25s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out too close to the front, so I got sucked into running the first mile too fast. I hit the 1st mile mark in 8:10. I was getting passed by people wearing the race tee shirt during the race. {Sorry my former life as a running snob showing there. :-)} I also got passed by people carrying CD players. (Do people still have those for running?) The worst though was getting passed by two women pushing strollers. One of the women went flying by, the other I kept in sight. I would pass her on the uphills and at some of the water stops. She'd pass me on the downhills.

My feet and knees felt very good during the race which was encouraging to me. I did slow down as the race progressed. I got a blister on the arch on my left foot which was making it hard to stay comfortable on the run.

I went into this race with a goal of breaking 45 minutes which I did do., *Sigh*, I'm afraid the sub 40 minute 5 milers are a thing of my past, but who knows. With all the problems I had with my left heel, and the reduced mileage, amybe there's hope when it all clears up.

What would you do differently?:

1. Not go out so hard for the first mile.

2. Put a little vaseline or body glide on my feet to help with blistering.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a little bit, and a few toe touches and easy stretches. Then stuffed my face. Excellent post race food!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weekly mileage is way down, due to foot and knee issues. Once I can get those cleared up, I can get more mileage. I've always run my best when i've done longer runs.

Event comments:

This race has been around for years, but usually I've had to work the day of the race. I definately will keep this race in mind for the future.

Last updated: 2005-05-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:25 | 05 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 210/333
Performance: Good
Course: Loop course through the streets of Rye. A few hills, but mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes