Quad Cities Multisport Grand Prix Series
41F / 5C
Overcast
Total Time = 56m 47s
Overall Rank = 27/151
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

I'm an early riser anyway, so I was up at 5:30 and did a liquid brakfast of Hammer Nutrition products, which I'm experimenting with this year.
Event warmup:

Too damn cold and windy to warm up much. Windchills in the mid to high 30s. Normally I would take a mile or so run and a couple of miles on the bike, but I was concerned with how hard I had to work just to do that and didn't want to burn the energy. Although this is a short race, the wind conditions added exertion equal to a race twice the length.
Run
  • 11m 15s
  • 1.88 miles
  • 06m  min/mile
Comments:

It was mostly flat and windy. A slight downhill at the start, consequently a slight uphill at the finish. Finished well ahead of my biggest age group challenger and took off on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Transitions were great today
What would you do differently?:

Nada
Bike
  • 31m 57s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I've been told it takes a minimum of three years to become a strong biker. I, of course, intended to disprove that when I started racing last year, but I guess it's true. I was hoping to hold 20-22 mph at 70% MHR today, but the wind shot that plan to hell. It's also apparent that someone with a 20-25 year biking history is going to eat my lunch. The biking engine is just that much stronger.

Just gotta keep training. Can't wait for year 3 to get here!
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Had a brief but painful experience as I approahced T2. While fighting to slip my left foot out of my shoe while still on the bike, I over-pointed my toes or something and my calf siezed up like a baseball. Pedaled slowly and stretched through the pain. Didn't bother me running, but it's sore now.

Exit my shoes earlier so I'm not feeling rushed.
Run
  • 12m 21s
  • 1.88 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

On my way out to the turnarond, Marv passed me coming back, about 2 minutes ahead of me. The course was too short, and I was running out of steam, to make a charge. At the turn I got a side/shoulder cramp which caused me to pull up and run much slower than I wanted.

Not cramp
Post race
Warm down:

Watched some friends finish, then packed the SUV and sat inside eating my peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Changed into three layers of dry tops, ate a banana and drank a recovery drink before heading to the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Biking the hills into the wind.

Event comments:

This is a great early season tune-up race. It allows one to get in some transition practice and gauge running and biking progress. It keeps growing each year, and they always have the BIGGEST trophies. These things are monsters! In addition this year, race central was inside a new Humvee dealership and there was a drawing for the free use of two Humvees for a weekend to two participants, so that's kinda cool.

Last updated: 2005-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:15 | 01.88 miles | 06m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/151
Performance: Good
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:31:57 | 10 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A rolling course head-in to a 20-30 mph WNW wind for the first leg. Between the wind and the hills, it was a real job to keep speed in the teens. It was best to ride 4-5 feet from the shoulder of the road because the crosswinds were so strong one could easily have been blown into the ditches. It was on this portion of the course I was completely baffled - the guy in my age group who beat today, Marv, passed me! He's a biker turned runner. I'm a runner turned biker, so even though I was well ahead of him at T1, guess who won that battle? He was one of only 4 or 5 people (young race studs, I might add) who passed me on the bike, and one of those guys I passed again later. Anyway, made the turn eastbound into town and broke the speed limit - 35 mph. On the next turn the wind was quartering over my right shoulder and I was able to hold 20-24 mph almost to the finish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:12:21 | 01.88 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-01 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: Swing Into Spring Duathlon

2005-05-01 9:30 PM
in reply to: #150891

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: RE: Swing Into Spring Duathlon
Awesome job, podium man!! You'll get Marv next time. I can't believe you guys raced in this. I didn't want to go out and plant my garden in it. Looks like maybe some warmer weather later this week, but glory is forever.
2005-05-01 9:40 PM
in reply to: #150891

Veteran
Alabama
Subject: RE: Swing Into Spring Duathlon
First of all, congratulations!! Great Race!! Now where are the race pictures?! You can do better!! BTW...you are the slowest runner I know. It must be the age thing or something! hee-hee!! Why was your second leg of the run at a slower pace? You should have been warmed up and ready to go! I like picking on you can you tell? BTW...your bike speed was strong considering the conditions. Don't be too hard on yourself. So it's all about the engine, you say? Well, we could debate that point, but will save that for another discussion.

AGAIN, awesome job!

Kristi
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Swing Into Spring Duathlon Rss Feed