Muncie Endurathon
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 26m 28s
Overall Rank = 247/697
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 39/89
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:25am drink 2 ensures and ate two granola bars 680 calories used the restroom and left the hotel at 5:30
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 38m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam well considering the conditions, the water was very choppy because of the wind. On the way out I keep drifting to the right but that was the way the chop was going so I think it was taking me that direction. I swam very relaxed and did not push beyond my abilities. I could have maybe shaved another minute off but I think I would have not been relaxed and would have hurt me later on. On the way in the chop was hitting me right in the face it was pretty high. I was hoping for a sub 35 minute swim but with the conditions of the water I was happy with a 37.
What would you do differently?:

not much, the water was just too rough for me to go much faster, I think of the 12 guys that I know that did the event all of their swim times were much slower.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

good T1 like I said it really should be 3:36 if you count the run up from the beach, but I got the wetsuit off quickly and bike shoes and socks on fast ran the bike to the road which is quite a ways all fairly quick

nothing everything went smooth
Bike
  • 2h 48m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was 2:30-2:33: I started off strong eased into the ride and road the first 2 miles just under 19mph there were a few rollers, turned on the Cardinal Greenway and picked it up finished the first 5 miles 20.5 average. Turned onto 35 where the wind was now a factor I wanted to try to average 20 mph into the wind knowing when I turn around I will be able to just fly in the 24-26mph range. I stayed strong catching some of my friends at mile 9 who have done this course before in 5:06 so I knew I was really doing well. Turned west straight into the wind at mile 22 and still managed to average 19.7 straight into the wind and finally made it to the turn around. I think at this point only around 5 guys had passed me, I was constantly on the left. I got two solid miles in with the wind and at mile 30 my hamstrings locked up, I stood up and rubbed them did some coasting and just tried to shake it off this went on for the rest of the race to the point at mile 45 it hurt just to sit on the seat. I don't think I have ever struggled on the bike like this before, it was just a very painful ride, not only physically but mentally seeing about a 150-200 people pass me in the last 15 miles and there really was nothing I could do. Also at mile 40+ the rains came down harder than ever it look like a monsoon at times. I did make it back in finishing the last 15 miles with a 17.8 average I was lucky the wind was with me or it would have been about 12-14mph.

Not sure I've done several rides longer than this distance, I have had cramping in the hams before, I'm going to have to look into my set up and talk with a few experts and see what may be wrong.
Transition 2
  • 05m 50s
Comments:

I soon as I dismounted I could feel my hamstrings, I hobbled over to my rack which was close. I fell down and could not get up, I just laid on my back and rubbed my hamstrings. Rolled over and changed my shoes took some sports legs, anti fatigue caps and enduralytes. Got to all fours and pulled my self up using the bike rack. started walking and walked all the way to the mat got a cross and told my wife if I can't run I'm stopping.

nothing maybe stay in there and just sleep
Run
  • 1h 50m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't sure if I could run or not but strange enough as I started to move my hamstrings hurt less and less. At this point I just wanted to keep moving and ran the first mile in 9:30. I was happy with that and glad I was just moving with any cramping. I started to pick up the pace and ran the next 3 miles around 8:15 pace. I caught up with my friend Ben at mile 4 and decided to run with him to take my mind off my legs and he wanted to run around 8:30 pace. I felt pretty good just the usually hip, lower back pains I usually experience on long runs. The rain at this point felt good and I seem to be passing several people back that went around me on the bike. I saw many of my friends on the way back since the run is an out and back everyone looked strong. I saw my brother over a mile ahead of me and told Ben looks like he is going to beat me at this race again. At mile 9 I decided to pick it up I felt good and went back to running at 8:10-8:15 pace. At mile 12 I saw my brother walking through the aid station about a half mile in front of me I thought I have an outside chance of catching him. I picked it up and as we were climbing the last hill his wife yelled Ronnie is right behide you, he looked right and I passed him on the left to beat him by 1 second. It was a lot better run than I expected I really didn't think I was going to be able to run at all and to finish in 1:50 I was pleased even though my goal was 1:45

nothing maybe staying on pace and not slowing durning miles 4-9 talking with Ben, but that relaxed me and took my mind off the race for a while
Post race
Warm down:

none got some water started to get dizzy went to the med tent and got 2 IV's, I had low blood pressure and my hamstrings were having spasms. Of course all my friends had to come in an take pictures of my laying in the cot with an IV for future harasment.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

fear of cramping

Event comments:

this is a very good race and I recommend it to anyone. The volunteers were unbelievible there were at least 5 major down pours and they were all right there handing out goodies and drinks and cheering. This was my fourth 1/2 Ironman is by far the best managed event first class all the way.

Last updated: 2008-11-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:57 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/89
Overall: 204/697
Performance: Good
actuall swim time was 37:22 the chip mat was up the hill before the entrance of T1 which took me 1:35 to run up too.
Suit: 2XU elite full sleeve
Course: straight out west then right then back east angling toward shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:48:55 | 56 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 53/89
Overall: 344/697
Performance: Below average
1:20 at the turnaround into the wind, then second half 1:28 with the wind thanks cramps
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: county roads the first 2 miles then on the Cardnial greenway for 6 turn onto state road 35 for 13 then onto state road 36 for 6, then back to the greenway cross and head to a housing addition and some very rough back roads back too the lake
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:50
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:50:23 | 13.1 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/89
Overall: 215/697
at the turnaround in 55:34 ran the second half in 54:49
Course: loop around the lake with constant rollers
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-12 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2009-07-12 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2279089

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Way to go, Ron!
2009-07-12 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In
Great finish!!!
2009-07-12 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Great job! Nice race report. Way to push through and get it done!
2009-07-12 5:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
I hear you.  Glad to see you persevere through it all.  This is a great race, I probably saw you at some point and share my angst with the weather, hope to see you next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed