Muncie Endurathon
77F / 25C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 53m 22s
Overall Rank = 420/700
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 68/89
Pre-race routine:

Got up early. Had a good hour drive to the race sight, so had plenty of time to eat. Was going to be 3 hours until race time, so had a small bowl of instant oatmeal and a banana. Also had about 1/2 cup of coffee. Felt great!!
Event warmup:

Stretched and ran some uphills and enjoyed the atmosphere. Never have I seen so many people, it was great!!
Swim
  • 33m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

So this was kind of funny. I was standing on the beach looking at the course, and pretty much all I heard everyone saying was "Wow that looks far" and "look at the waves" I had to agree. There were almost white caps it was so rough. Very impressive looking. Lots of wind and a lot of waves.

My goal with this whole 1/2 was to try to negative split everything. So for the swim I had to make myself not go out hard. I really had to concentrate to just cruise it. I did not want to go out really hard and be dead on the bike. So that is what I did. I made myself go at a nice easy pace, after the last buoy, I picked it up just a bit, but was passing so many in the previous waves, I still just took it easy. This was my first 1/2 ironman, so I really was not sure about the pacing. I think I did ok in the swim. I was in the top 10 percent overall, so felt ok about that. The time includes a pretty long run into T1, so overall happy. I enjoyed the swim, I was about 1/2 way through and just kept telling myself "wow, here we are, this is what I've been training for, enjoy it!!" So I did!
What would you do differently?:

On the swim, really nothing, I came out placed well, I felt good, I was tired, felt like I had worked pretty good, but also felt ready to hit the bike. so I was really happy with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Pretty good, I could always be faster, but this was a huge transition area. I mean there were almost 700 bikes in there!!

Nothing, I just need some more practice
Bike
  • 3h 00m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

So ok, just like before I wanted to negative split this thing. I had my nutrition figured out, used hammer stuff. I gotta say, I hit the nutrition on the bike perfectly. I was soooo happy about that. I felt great. I know I am slow on the bike, but I was happy with how I did. I wanted to do it in 3 hours or less and hit that goal. Plus, I am not even kidding, the wind was 20-30 mph, cross winds, pushing everyone all over, then came the rain, or monsoon, would be a better word. Yeah, poured. Still I had a smile on my face the whole bike. I drank perpetuam every 15 min, plus had my own mixture of water and endurolytes, and that worked perfect. I had no stomach issues on the bike, felt great. At the turn around, I put it in the big ring and passed back a lot of people that had passed me. I really was happy with this segment. I am going to work really hard this winter, I want this over 20mph next year.

Just go faster, but my legs are not there yet. This is my first year for cycling, so I just have to work hard to get better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Fairly ok I guess. My running shoes were soaked, I covered them with a trash bag, and no joke the wind was so bad it didn't matter, they were soaked.

Get faster, get some yank laces or something.
Run
  • 2h 15m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

And here is where I hit the wall. lol. So I guess I am going to make my own nutrition from now on. All they had was gatorade. So I take off, and my plan was to drink every other station. They had them at every mile. So I figured every other would be between 15-18 min. I thought that would be perfect. So I put my plan into motion. Mile 2 drank gatorade. Mile 4, sick. Ha!! My stomach does not like sweet stuff when I am working. So I ran through it, not bad enough to make me stop, but still annoying. Anyway, I was doing well and passing quite a few people until about mile 5, my left leg on the outside of my knee started hurting a little. I kept running. I was doing well, like I said, my plan was negative split it. Well, at the turn around, my knee really decided to start hurting. Huh, weird. So I plugged along until mile 7, then my knee decided to not work anymore. I could not extend my left leg correctly, it wouldn't keep up. So unfortunately I had no choice but to walk a little. One of my goals for this thing was to NOT walk any of the run. However, my knee had other plans. So I walked a little, then tried to run again. Ehh, not really happening. So unfortunately, I had to walk alot of the run from mile 8ish to mile 12, I would run when I could, and I got sooo much encouragement from other racers!! Some would pass and say "come on, lets run this thing out together" I mean this sport is great. Even though I was struggling on this part, everyone who passed had something positive to say. Really cool. So finally at mile 12, I told myself, no way am I walking the finish! So I started running again, blocked it out best I could, and ran across the finish line!! Yay me. Ha ha!!

Well obviously I need to run a ton more. I need to condition my legs to put up with this stuff.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? Uh yeah I couldn't walk, so I pretty much just stood there. Ate some noodles and an ice cream sandwich and went home. Iced my leg a ton.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My left knee just killed me. I still can not go up or down stairs, so this whole week should be fun. I finished it though!

Event comments:

The race itself was awesome!! I still had a ton of fun, even though I was in pain after the run. (or walk) I will definatley be doing this again. I have learned a ton this year about this stuff, now I will put all that to use in the off season to get way better.

Last updated: 2008-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:24 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/89
Overall: 60/700
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Big square, out, turn right, swim more, turn right again and come back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:00:39 | 56 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/89
Overall: 492/700
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Uhhh, really long. Some rolling hills but nothing bad, easy to climb.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:15:57 | 13.1 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/89
Overall: 533/700
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-12 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2009-07-12 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2279138

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Great report.  Your race sounds like it was similar to mine!  Now, next year, we both just go faster!
AF
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed