United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 4s
Overall Rank = 116/169
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/0
Pre-race routine:

Night before set up transition in living room. Practiced transitions from start to finish. Re-set the transition, and then packed. Added extra bike tube, multi tool, zip ties, pins, Gu, extra socks, extra towel, pink duct tape.
Event warmup:

set up bike closest to road, not closest to water. Uset tape to make small marks on the bar for locating the bike spot after ride. Pined number to shirt, chatted with neighbors and tried get an idea of the road conditions for the bike.

Stressed about starting halfway up hill at transition.
Peed, water, 1/2 cliff bar
Short swim to get used to water, arms warm
Stretched
Swim
  • 09m 14s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was deep red from iron. Visibility was minimal. I sort of slowly waded and let the fast folks go out first, and asked myself if I really wanted to do this. Then I hot the water. I sort of disadvantaged myself by not going out right away. I was blocked by some slow swimmers, and had to tread water at buoy 1 to let the log jam clear. Then it was tough to get by, but I saved some energy by drafting. I was off course by about 10 yards twice, but there was no one around me so it was ok.... I finished behind the leaders and ahead of the herd. I was pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Get out fast, and let the fast swimmers drop me, instead of trying to get around a big group. Sight more often. Swam just faster than pracgtice swim time... good job
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

T1 was on a side hill. I decided to bike in my swim suit/ speedo, so transition was ok. Shirt stuck more than it did when practicing, but did not slow me down. Socks and showes went on ok... I was a lot more out of breath than expected. Beat many people out. Ranbike to hill and took my time getting cliped in, so I could pull with one leg while getting cliped in with other. BIke was in correct gear. Good job

flatter area, bike closer to swim exit. Buckle at T1, velcro on road.
Bike
  • 28m 20s
  • 8 miles
  • 16.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Hard to get water and GU because I was out of breath. RIght aero bar kept turning down on shift. How did it get loose?

Maybe ramp up the pace/ wattage. I could havebeen faster especiall down hill.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

no T@ split. Had to use watch. Good transition, smooth. No idea how long it took. Look into laces

speed laces
Run
  • 31m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Work on run. I was better than halfway up field until run... killed my rank. Pleased with pace. Walked 3 times, but less than 30 sec, and did not really slow my time since I was runing so slow then anyway.

Train more. Train More. TRAIN MORE
Post race
Warm down:

Hands on knees at finish. Kissed Mich and Hannah. Tried to catch breath. Stretched a little bit. Very Little Bit. Could not really cheer for people because I was dead and feeling dizzy- Hid in the shade with water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim start, Bike effort, Run pace.

Train more, push the run more.

Last updated: 2009-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:14 | 440 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/0
Overall: 78/169
Performance: Average
Suit: Spedo
Course: 1/4 mile arc. Knee Deep water start. Swim waves were 1) Men 20 women 3) kids
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:28:20 | 08 miles | 16.94 mile/hr
Overall: 71/169
Wind: Headwind
Course: Hilly start, then mostly downhill to the turn. I could not get my legs going and dogged a little bit. Could have been faster going out. Climbing back, good turn over of legs, could have been in lower gear. I was scared to use up legs on ride andbe slow on run. Passed by several groups. Could have kept up if I wanted to... Im sure of it. Some bike problems, but did not effect time.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:30 | 03.1 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 0/169
Performance: Bad
heart rate was good. Only jacked on hill climbs
Course: uphill from T2 cramped calves. Had to walk less than 30 seconds at top. Smooth pace all the way, even uphills. Kept 10 min mile training pace. Pleaed because of long uphills. Getting passed sucks. CFOuld have puked on hill at T2... dunno why.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes