United States
setup events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 17s
Overall Rank = 211/579
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 26/54
Pre-race routine:

Felt "off" the entire weekend, including race morning. Lots of little things that just didn't go well for me. Woke up at 4:15 and had a bagel w/ PB and a banana. Also had a glass of milk.

Got to the site and had a gel 20 minutes before wave start (no caffeine, lemon gu). Had some heed and H20 on my way to the site and before the swim.

Event warmup:

Used the ride from the parking area as a warmup. Did some butt kicks, a few sprints, and then took a 10 minute swim warmup. Water was almost black, but temp was good.
Swim
  • 17m 32s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started off very strong in the lead pack. Drafted well and hit the first buoy with a great time. Started losing ground after the first turn, but found a good stride. Unfortunately, I had major sighting issues that cost me. Still, I felt very strong in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I looked over the course before the start. Should have taken my time sighting and been less confident during the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

lost a few seconds second guessing myself about the swim. Long ass run to the T area, but I didn't have any problems with my legs moving like I needed them to. I just wasn't moving as fast as I could have.

Get over it and just get on the damn bike. Ran faster both ways.
Bike
  • 53m 23s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

at the 2nd speed bump my aero drink got jarred out (violently I might add) and I made a quick decision to go back for it. Glad I did because I needed the Heed, but I also couldn't get my velcro back on and had to hold it for the next 5 miles. This had to cost me some time and it was one more thing to irritate me and take my head out of the game.

My hamstrings were killing me, but I was able to just keep mashing in the big ring. Felt decent, but not as rested as I needed to be.

Rest more pre-race, including more sleep. Ditch the velcro and use string to secure the drink.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

By this time, my head was out of the game and I was ready to avenge on the run. Still felt pretty good and after passing a few on the final stretch of the bike, I was mentally prepared to attack the run.

Run faster.
Run
  • 22m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Was a little hot, so I unzipped my top a bit to let some air in. Passed a dozen or so in the first stretch and kept picking up steam. Saw the same guy in front of me (Army shirt) that I saw at Kure Beach and just tried to keep him in my sights. Never caught him, but saw him finish.

Picked up the pace near the end and finished with a sprint. Wasn't as exhausted as I thought I would be.

Pick up the pace a tad and stretch out the legs.
Post race
Warm down:

light stretching, some fruit and a bagel. Really wanted water, but couldn't find any.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Near cramping, distraction of screwing up the swim and dropping my aero drink. Felt disoriented the entire race and couldn't get my head straight.

Event comments:

Great venue once you got there. Family had to walk 3 miles from the parking area. Shuttle closed early before the race and there weren't any signs after. Aside from parking and no water after the race, loved everything. Will do again, but mostly because it is so close.

Last updated: 2009-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:32 | 750 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 25/54
Overall: 291/579
Performance: Average
Suit: 2xu top and bottom
Course: Mixed feelings about the course. You couldn't see the entire course unless you ran to the finish so you could see it from both sides. That made knowing where I was going a bit tough. Was 1 buoy out, 2 down, and then back. I made a costly mistake and missed the 2nd buoy on the side stretch, had to go back, and probably lost about 3-4 minutes. Was upset about that the entire race.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:49
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:23 | 17.5 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/54
Overall: 251/579
Wind: Some
Course: Speed bumps...are you kidding me? A piece of plywood "installed" on them didn't help much. The rest of the course was pretty fair...nothing terribly difficult, although I had a hard time orienting myself. A few hills that I used to my advantage, but mostly flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:51 | 03.11 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/54
Overall: 154/579
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly trail with a bit of road at the start and finish. Was fairly flat, although there were a few slow inclines. Very narrow stretches due to the lane markers, but wasn't a big deal.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes