Tri and Du It Multisport
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 41/60
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

This was my first triathlon ever so I was a bit nervous the night before and had a horrible night's sleep. My thanks go out to whoever told me to get a good night's sleep two days before!

I ate two mini-bagels with light peanut butter and washed it down with some Gatorade Endurance.
Event warmup:

The start time was pushed back from 7:30 AM to 8:00 AM, so I wandered around and checked out the course. I stretch a little bit but probably should have elevated my heart rate a little more while I waited.
Swim
  • 10m 27s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was a staggered start, leaving every 15 seconds. I placed myself in the 10-12 minute range, which drew a few glances from the people behind me due to my doughy physique. I felt pretty good in the pool too, but really had to focus on not blowing out my legs by overkicking in all the excitement. I was able to pass 7 people along the way so that also made me feel pretty good. I think the only negative is I was a little disoriented when climbing out of the pool and running to transition.
What would you do differently?:

I thought it went pretty well so I don't know if I would change anything other than trying to get more time in the pool so my time decreases.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

I should have practiced my transitions beforehand. I probably didn't need the heart rate monitor or my Garmin 305 but I trained with them and wanted them with me. The real problem came when I put my shoes and socks on. Not only did I get grass all in my sock, but I also forgot to put on my calf sleeves (they really help my varicose veins). I then tried to put them over my shoes, debated taking my shoes back off and just gave up and biked without them. It was an ugly scene.

Practice my transitions!

I would also lay out my calf sleeves over my socks and shoes. Further, I should also try to put my socks on standing up, especially in grass since kneeling down just meant that I had no leverage to pick up my foot when the grass was getting caught in my sock. Last but not least, I should probably ditch my traditional tie shoelaces.
Bike
  • 19m 9s
  • 6 miles
  • 18.80 mile/hr
Comments:

My little mountain bike felt pretty good and I tried to stay in the top two gears of my middle ring. The light breeze was nice compared to the gusty shoreline where I had been doing most of my riding so far.

It was a good first race ride so I would probably just do nothing, other than get some more time in the saddle and learn how to drink on my bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Unfortunately, because I did not put on my calf compression sleeves during T1, I had to take off my shoes and put them on. My veins have been much better lately, but I did not want to take any chances. Tieing up wet shoe laces and pulling wet shoes on and off, is not made an easier by sweaty hands.

Not screw up T1 so badly.
Run
  • 34m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

For a heavy guy who just started training in March, I guess the run wasn't the end of the world.

On the other hand, the competitor in me hated seeing the stream of people passing me on the left, especially since I had pretty much been middle of the pack until the run.

Not be fat. :(

Okay, once again, I just need to put more time in so I don't have to walk as often. I think it was a total of 4 times and I really lost alot of ground compared to those who just kept chugging along.
Post race
Warm down:

I staggered around taking in the sights and walked my bike over to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just conditioning and inexperience.

Event comments:

Overall, the whole day was nearly a perfect first race experience. My fiancee got a huge kick out of the announcer calling the race when he mentioned me. Even the BBQ afterwards was quite tasty and family were allowed to join in as well.

I think the only real downer during the whole day was the way that raffle prizes were handed out. Not that I was expecting one but the groups of people shouting out numbers, those the race director knew and the age group winners were miraculously the first raffle winners and then the rest of us who had stuck around were asked put our numbers in a box. It sounds like sour grapes but I am just trying to be honest because it really was the only downer on an otherwise superb first experience.

Last updated: 2009-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:27 | 500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 20/60
Performance: Good
Suit: None - it was in a pool
Course: A snaking pool swim through the lanes of the Nassau Aquatic Center.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:19:09 | 06 miles | 18.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 27/60
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was 3 loops on the road inside the park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:31 | 03 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 50/60
Performance: Below average
Course: A couple of loops on a paved path around some fields in the park. Overall, it was pretty darn flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-14 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: Independence Triathlon

2009-07-14 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2284746

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Independence Triathlon

YOU DID IT!!  FIRST TRI!!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Now, you ready to conquer the next now that you have this experience?

2009-07-14 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2284746

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Independence Triathlon
way to go TRIATHLETE!!!!! nice job on the first!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Independence Triathlon Rss Feed