United States
San Angelo Road Lizards
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 43/135
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 13/25
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at location ~6:15am. Check-in, body markings, set-up TA.
Event warmup:

After getting my TA set-up, I mentally walked through each transition. I ran a little to loosen my legs. Then I went to check out the water. I took a short swim (maybe 50m) to get a feel for the water.
Swim
  • 05m 45s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was an awesome experience. It was my first event OWS and I had a blast. At the start it was a little crazy. At the horn everyone just starting swimming, it wasn’t an official beach start. I got hit and kicked a few times, but no big deal. I had to adjust my line at least once to swim around people in front of me. At the turn I got hit in the face pretty hard, but it didn’t slow me down. I finally found my groove on the way back to the beach. I literally swam over two people that were swimming very closely to each other side by side. They wouldn’t make room, so I just went over.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing I think I need to work on is a breast stroke for turning around the buoy. A lot of swimmers were doing this and I think it would have made it easier to actually turn instead of continuing my freestyle and sighting (potentially expending more energy). I really enjoyed this swim as well as the benefits to the entire field beginning at the same time.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

T1 was pretty much as expected performance wise. I had to run a little ways from the water to get to my bike and through the sand. I washed my feet with an extra water bottle (prepared for this) then proceeded with the rest of my transition. Shirt went on about as typical so this delayed me as usual.

I need to consider getting a tri shirt/top that I can swim in and wear the entire race. If I wouldn’t have had to put a shirt on, I could have flown through T1.
Bike
  • 33m
  • 10 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I surprised myself with this ride as I was able to sustain 17+ mph throughout 95% of the bike. I maintained my position in the crowd fairly well (passed by a few expensive bikes and fierce competitors early).

Not sure there was a ton I could have done differently. I pushed myself pretty hard and finished strong. Maybe I could have pushed more, but I think that would have made my run suffer.
Transition 2
  • 00m 15s
Comments:

Easy in, drop off and out. I got off the bike easily, ran into TA, quickly dropped off bike and was off again on my run. Several people in the TA, but none of them got in and out as fast as I did while I was there. I made up several places in T2.

I did get off my bike a bit too far from the dismount line. I could have gotten a little closer and not had to run as far, but it probably only accounted for a couple seconds.
Run
  • 16m
  • 2 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

My start was a little “heavy” but it was a quick 2 miles, so I forced myself into the groove. Passed a few and got passed by a few on the run. Good pace overall. I picked up the pace the last straightaway and sprinted the last 50 paces as usual.

Not a lot to do differently. I felt like I pushed myself fairly hard. Could have gone faster at times, but without dying at the end, I’m satisfied with my performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked into TA to get my water. Then I had some powerade. After resting a few minutes, I had a breakfast burrito and a ton more liquids. I ended up having another breakfast burrito.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I beat my goal time of 60 minutes by 2:30, so I’m pleased. I might have been able to do each event just a little faster, but without knowing the course better and my performance on such a short sprint, I am completely satisfied with my performance. Looking forward to this fun, inexpensive race next year!

Event comments:

Great race. Well organized for a smaller event. Need more bike racks as some people ended up laying their bikes on the ground. Great post-race snacks. Plenty of volunteers at the few turns that were required. There was even a photographer. Overall, I can’t complain with this event or my performance.

*Note: All times above are approximate as there was no chip timer provided. Split estimates are based upon my watch time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:45 | 300 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/135
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts only
Course: Swim start was in the water, perpendicular to the beach. The swim was a diagonal swim out and around the buoys. After the turn, it was diagonally back to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:00 | 10 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Fairly flat and fast out and back course by the airport. Slight headwind heading out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:00 | 02 miles | 08m  min/mile
Course: Run was slightly hillier than bike, but no huge hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes