Team Magic
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = clyde
Age Group Rank = 12/35
Pre-race routine:

Picked my oldest two up at sleepaway camp early on Saturday in Ocoee, TN and went straight to Chattanooga. Thankfully we were able to check into the Courtyard By Marriott early and have a home base for the baby while we enjoyed the day downtown. Thankfully got to bed early after getting all my stuff ready by the door so I could sneak out in the morning and not bother my wife and kids.
Event warmup:

Strething, drinking some Gatorade, talking to some friends, and a few laps of bare foot jogging in the football field while waiting for the 900's to line up.
Swim
  • 25m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The guy infront of me looked like a good triathlete, so right away I got on his feet to draft. He kept a perfect speed for me to stay with him and not over exert myself. My only gripe is that he veared more to the left of the swim lane, and I stayed with him. I think I could have saved more time by leaving him and heading to the right by the buoys to catch more of the current. Either way, I was happy with my time, and more importantly, happy with how good I felt coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Stay to the right of the swim lane and ride more of the current.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

A descent T1 for me. I wasn't hauling a$$ as usual just to make sure my HR stayed low for the up coming bike.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 37s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Despite other racers complaining about the Chattanooga bike course, I don't mind it. It's a good test. Anyone doing over 20mph here gets big kudos from me.
I just kept a comfortably hard pace, trying to drink and take in Shot Blocks to prepare for the run.
I would like to pat myself on the back for helping out a fellow racer. I always ask bikers on the side of the road if they are OK, and usually they say YES. Well, today this guy yells out that he needs a 700 tube for a flat. So I pulled over, got off, and yanked my bike bag off to throw over to him. That's it. Back on my bike and I was off. What's the cost of all that equipment compared to helping out a fellow racer? Pay it forward, dude.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Actually faster than I thought it would be. I was trying a new fuel belt today, so I came to a complete stop to pull it on before running off. But my time didn't really reflect that.
Run
  • 59m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I really liked this run! The rain started falling at about mile 2, helping me stay cool. Great aid stations and my bottle belt also kept me cool and hydrated.
That being said, what kind of dilly dallying was I doing? I can go faster than this. But I guess I was in "cruise and enjoy the ride" mode. So that's just what I did.
What would you do differently?:

Stop smiling and RUN!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my socks, water bottle, and celebrated with my wife and kids. The CWT was my first tri in 2006 as a 240 pound hack who wanted to turn his life around physically. Today I can feel good knowing that I've done it. A very emotional moment for me at the finish line on a personal level.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've pretty much taken a break since the Macon Rock and Roll Man.

Event comments:

Thank you volunteers! Thank you Chattanooga!

Last updated: 2009-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Oomph Tri Shorts
Course: Point to point straight down the river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:37 | 26.1 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:41 | 06.21 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-16 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2009-07-17 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2289993

User image

Smyrna
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
It was a fun day out there!  Nice race and REALLY nice thing you did on the bike.  I'm a firm believer in paying it forward.  You never know when you'll be the one who needs help on the roadside.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed