TCR Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Santa Fe 2 days prior. Got up at 4. Ate some yogurt and coffee. Made it to the site about 5:15
Event warmup:

Tested my bike. Didn't get wet. A little cool outside. Visited with James, Peggy and Elizabeth.
Swim
  • 16m 3s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This segment was last, after the bike. Struggled to get my goggles on. Just uncoordinated. Really winded when I got into the pool. Had a hard time getting my gear on. Just not coordinated. Really noticed the altitude. Worst time breathing I can remember. Made 4 lengths, then grabbed the wall. Had to take a few breaths to make it on. Stopped 2 more times at the wall. Did freestyle all the way, and form was good. Just couldn't breathe.
What would you do differently?:

Do it first!
Transition 1
  • 41m 40s
Comments:

Was transition from run to bike. Made it easily. Ran with bike and mounted OK.

Nothing
Bike
  • 46m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.48 mile/hr
Comments:

One of the most fun courses I've biked. Wished it had been longer. Volunteers were great at directing and keeping traffic under control.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

Got to my spot and someone had racked their bike in my rack. There were no spots open. I was furious. Murray was there, so I gave him my bike, sat down and took off my shoes. Was pretty miffed about it.

Come up with a contingency plan for if my spot was taken.
Run
  • 41m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to hold back a little. Couldn't follow HR data, but HR went down to 149 on walks. 1:1 pattern was better.

Try to hold back at the beginning. Run is definitely my weak area. Need to concentrate on run training with speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to transition and picked up my bike off the ground. Now my spot was open on the rack. Drank some Heed and 1/4 a dehydrated bagel. Felt pretty good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Altitude! Santa Fe is at 7000 feet. I had a higher heart rate for perceived level of exertion. My max was 181 overall.

Event comments:

This is a relatively new, reverse order tri. It is fun to do, but hard to compare to other races due to the order. Everyone struggled in the swim, according to spectators. The bike course is hilly, some short rollers, some slow, steady climbs. None are really hard. The pool is beautiful, and felt refreshing when I got in. There were plenty of volunteers and plenty of lifeguards. My sister-in-law DNF'd, and the policeman and volunteers were so sweet to her, getting her off the course.

Food was plenty, even at the end of the race. The T-shirt was cool with a kokopelli on it. Had to love it.

Was fun doing race with Richard, Ashley, James, Peggy , and Elizabeth. Peggy and Liz dnf'd on the bike. The altitude and hills got to them.

There were a couple of area that could be improved. The bike course had an intersection where the bikers coming out of transition, and those finishing cross paths. Elizabeth nearly crashed here. It's a really poor design, and it's only a matter of time before someone really gets hurt here. I would recommend they change the course here; it could easily be done. An accident could shut this new tri down, and I'd hate to see that.

Last updated: 2009-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:03 | 437 yards | 03m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Didn't get an official time for this, so had to use my watch. Not sure what happened. I had my chip.
Suit:
Course: Pool Swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 41:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:30 | 12 miles | 15.48 mile/hr
Overall: 78/
Performance: Good
Time is an estimate. Official time for bike split was 51:53, but that included 2 transitions. Bike computer had 15.4 mph, and that seems pretty accurate. Max was 34.6 mph.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills. Beautiful course. One of the most scenic I've biked. Turn around was in the middle of the road, and I didn't unclip. Absolutely loved the downhills. You could fly. Passed a lot of people on both uphill and downhill. Seems like a lot of people didn't know to stay on the right, so you had to be careful when passing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 74
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:19 | 03.11 miles | 13m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 141/
Performance: Below average
12:00/14:11/14:00. Went out a little fast with 2:1 pattern. Switched to 1:1 after first mile. Was a little concerned about my pace with the bike to follow.
Course: Started en masse on the road. Ran downhill, and then turned onto the run course behind the community center. Mostly level run with a little on a dirt course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes