Canada
19C / 66F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m 48s
Overall Rank = 38/106
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

I was up at 4:58 and the alarm was set for 5am... very nice to wake up without that dang thing! Had the usual breakfast while watching some tri motivation videos on youtube. Then packed the car and rode the huge 10 minutes to St-Lambert.
Event warmup:

Did one 3.4k bike loop, the legs did not feel that great but I was primed up. The pavement was wet and some section of the course were brand new, so were the lines... very, very slippery. Two of the four corners were downright dangerous so I figured I would not attack them to much... better losing time on the bike then losing time because I couldn't stay on the bike. Then, I ran ~1k and did three strides. I don't think that was enough. Need to keep that in mind for next time.
Run
  • 22m 40s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 32s  min/km
Comments:

The strategy for the day was fairly simple: all out from the beginning to the end. It was a C race, placed just before the taper for the A race (Du plus Ste-Agathe) just to get myself into racing mode. I knew the legs would not be 100% and it was all right that way. It was fine if I crashed in the second run.

Now the race... The first k was damn hard, I really had to talk myself into "sufferfest mode". It kind of worked after a while and off I was.
What would you do differently?:

Not run 26k three days before the race. Run more.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Very quick transition as the bike was about 15 yards from the exit. Getting on the bike went well but traffic and the bumpy road made it difficult to attach the shoes.

Nothing. Just keep on practicing the mounting part.
Bike
  • 33m 56s
  • 20.6 kms
  • 36.42 km/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and wanted to begin the crank punishing session right away but I needed about half a lap to get my muscles to switch from running mode to biking. First corner, the bike of one of the guys in front of me just slips from under him on one of the recently painted lines. Yep! Its slippery in St-Lambert! Third lap, same freakin' thing! Needless to say I was extra careful. Flesh heals, however, a scar on the P2C is forever! ;)
Other than that, well, I couldn't really know in what place I was in my race since we were on the same course than the sprintman guys/gals (the studs) so even if I was riding hard, I was getting passed a lot. There was quite a bit of traffic given the small course but not much slow traffic which was fine.

Not much, I managed to stay on the bike and rode the best I could with the legs I had.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Not a highlight of this race. Dismounting went well. I could have laced the shoes a little looser which could have made me 1.68 seconds faster in T2 lol.

Not much.
Run
  • 11m 51s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 04m 44s  min/km
Comments:

Surprisingly, the legs were not the worst thing but my breathing was very labored and I was that my HR was way through the 46th floor... completely out of control. I managed to get my skinny a$$ moving but it just didn't feel right. I had some trouble keeping a descent form as well. Got passed by two, maybe three guys in that last leg.

Well, it's not like I didn't set myself up for this one with that "all out" plan anyways...

Not run 26k three days before the race. Run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Some walking and a bit of stretching, but I was mostly warming back up the jaw bone after an hour of being stuck open lol.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Like I said previously...

Event comments:

Post race stuff... Sprintman! What a show, what. a. show! They took the top 20 men/woman of the sprint tri to have them swim 150 meters/yard, bike 3.3k/2 miles, then run 500 meters/yards. Transitions were just nuts!!! Some were riding 7-8k bikes with running shoes, others chose to bike in bike shoes but run barefoot!!! Again, THAT. WAS. NUTS.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:40 | 05 kms | 04m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 46/106
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps around a park on a bike path, pretty nice place.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:33:56 | 20.6 kms | 36.42 km/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 31/106
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 6 lap that were said to be 3.3k but they were more like 3.45k... makes a difference on the average ;) The pavement was wet and very slippery at some places/corners.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:11:51 | 02.5 kms | 04m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 61/106
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-18 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Montréal
Subject: Duathlon sprint St-Lambert

2009-07-19 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2293599

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Duathlon sprint St-Lambert
Good job on that race Etienne

36km/h and you were not riding hard on the turns, not too bad! That Sprintman thing seems nuts man.

You'll kick in Ste-Agathe in two weeks! 
2009-07-19 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2294097

User image

Veteran
Montréal
Subject: RE: Duathlon sprint St-Lambert

Thanks Robert!

Mental training for Ste-Agathe: listening over and over again to Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden.     I dread deeply respect that course. he he

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duathlon sprint St-Lambert Rss Feed