United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 17m 59s
Overall Rank = 1/100+
Age Group = 9-10
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

The following race report regard my son Ian's first ever junior triathlon. Ian turned 10 on Saturday (race day).
I woke Ian up at 5:30 so that he could start eating. He had an Ensure and some toasted bagels with peanut butter (and jelly), and started hydrating. We left for the race (which was just up the road) at 6:30 and started setting up his transition. It was first come, first served so he was able to secure a spot right by the exit. He opted to race shirtless and sockless, in just his jammers, so his set-up consisted simply of his running shoes (with speed laces), helmet, and running belt. He got body marked and picked up his timing chip with plenty of time to spare before the pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 75 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was 75 yards in the High School's pool. Ian had been swimming with me at the Y (as I trained for a triathlon that was raced last week). I have been really pleased with his commitment to training and I felt that he was pretty quick in the water.
The race was a staggered start (every 15 seconds), sepentine swim. The kids were not arranged in any particular order, so he ended up starting about 12th or so. His swim was really fast. He passed quite a few kids and looked smooth the whole time. When he jumped out we yelled encouragement and then ran outside to see his transition.

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

His T1 was flawless. It was over in a blink and he was streaking off on his bike.

Bike
  • 00m
  • 2.5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

We couldn't really watch much of the bike. He was really flying when he left and I wasn't sure he would be able to keep the pace. I was timing him on my watch and estimated when he would be coming back but he surprised us by showing up a little early:)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

He had passed all but one kid who had started before him on the swim. He jumped off his bike and ran it into transition. He looked like he had his legs (something I am always missing after my bike), parked, and ran out...
Run
  • 00m
  • 0.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The run headed out around the practice football field and ended up on the track for the last 200 meters or so. The finish line was right in front of the grandstand. The lodspeakers were playing music and the kids names were announced as they came in. We ran over to the grandstand to await his entry onto the track. By the time he came in he had passed the last kid and was looking really strong. He finished hard with a giant smile on his face. I looked at my watch - 17:59.
Post race
Warm down:

We all went over to greet him. Shortly after everyone finished, the results were posted confirming what we assumed - he posted the fastest time and was the overall winner. My wife and I were so happy for him. His swim traing (with me) and run training (with my wife) paid off for him. He raced to the best of his abilities. As a parent, you can't ask for more than that. His place really didn't matter to us. He comitted himself to something and did the best he could do. The joy on his face the last 100 meters of his race (and certainly thereafter) was a parent's greatest pleasure. How sweet. Triathlon.

Last updated: 2009-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 75 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/100+
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: