Setup Events
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 24s
Overall Rank = 163/260
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 21/36
Pre-race routine:

Just wandered around, taking it all in. Left my apple in transition, so no pre-race snack.
Event warmup:

No warm-up.
Swim
  • 06m 30s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started with a two minute gap and one person in front of me. Managed to catch the swimmer in front of me at end of first lenghth. Afraid I was starting out too fast and didn't want to burn myself out to quickly, so I decided to just draft off him. By the 5th lap, I accidentally bumped his foot, and he stopped on the wall to let me pass. I sped off quickly, afraid he might have pass me later. Reached the end with my arms pretty worn out, which made getting out of the pool tricky. I'm sure I looked like a beach whale. (The guy I passed actually passed me on the long run from pool to transition.)
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I think I'd have tapped him earlier (and purposely).

I felt I never really had a pace going. I started fast, than coasted for most of the swim while drafting the guy in front of me. Once I passed him, I sprinted to the end to make sure he wouldn't need to then pass me. If it was a longer event, I'd have been wiped out.

I definately need more time in the pool working on speed, rather than just endurance. A good technique lesson or two wouldn't hurt. Total Immersion X-Mas gift idea???
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

(No wetsuit) Fairly long run (IMO) from pool to transition. Tried to be methodical, but certainly room for improvement, especially considering I never practiced it - though I know I should have.

Only real issue was when I went to unroll second sock, I didn't have it lined up properly and it ended up going on upside down (ie heel on top) Had to redo.

Need to practice t his a couple of times. (27th out of 36)
Bike
  • 37m 35s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Had trouble getting SPD shoes clipped into pedals. Definately want to invest in upgrading to another system, Keo/Look maybe.

Course was nice. Small, rolling hills. Got passed early on, but managed to stay with person for most of the course. I think he finished about 30 seconds ahead of me.

19.84 pace was actually quite fast for me. Possibly due to the course itself, as I've never averaged 19+ on a training day at home.

I only passed a couple of ladies on road bikes, and several people on mountain bikes. Glad my wife approved the road bike purchase - even though it isn't the shiney new pretty one that call to me in the stores.

I did pass one lady with a flat talking on a cell phone - hope that wasn't the end of the day for her.

Need new pedals, but that will have to wait until winter/spring of 2010 - Birthday maybe.

Still been tweaking with bike fit, but honestly, I felt very comfortable on entire ride.

Most improvement here is going to come from spending more time in saddle building up my legs for the bike, which I think will leave me stronger for the run.

Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Had trouble getting bike to stay on rack. Not sure what the problem was, couldn't get handle bars to go under rack.

Also, took a drink from bike bottle, when there was a hydration station just at start of run.

Even saving 3 seconds here would have moved me up 1 spot.

Again, need to practice these things. Stupid me for not doing so.
Run
  • 26m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Slight rolling hill to course, nothing too difficult. Pace, while 1min/mile off of PR, about what I would expect following swim and bike.

Had a bit of a cramp in my Right Calf, but nothing that was too worrysome. Managed to push through. Still a little stiff 24 hours later, but barely noticable at this point.

Better bike stamina, should allow me to get my legs under me earlier and get my pace back under 8/mile - which would have moved me into 11th place for the run.

Felt if I would have pushed myself on the run, I could have shaved a full minute off of my pace.

Not disappointed though. I was able to smile at the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really do any cool down, other than a cup of water and an orange wedge. Was anxous to see my wife and kids who were near the finish cheering me on. Was very nice seeing them there and mounting/dismounting my bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight still about 20 pounds above where I need to be. Time to finally knock off these pounds. Need to control diet as I think I'm exercising enough that I should be dropping weight.

Event comments:

This was a very nice event (I don't have anything to really compare it to), and will probably repeat it next year, mainly to see how much and where I improve over my first attempt.

Met some other very nice and equally nervous newbies, and even managed to exchange an email address with someone from my area.

The one thing I didn't care for was the run over gravel road going from pool to t1. Officials obviously did as best they could with it, so I certainly don't fault the organizers.

Last updated: 2009-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:30 | 300 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 25/36
Overall: 190/260
Performance: Below average
Suit: n/a
Course: pool swim, six laps, up and back.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:35 | 12.43 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/36
Overall: 158/260
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: small rolling hills throughout. Couple of busy intersections, but police and volunteers had great control of traffic so no interferance at all.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal