90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 35m 11s
Overall Rank = 535/2286
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 101/330
Pre-race routine:

Precursor to the Event

The weeks leading up to the 2009 Vineman 70.3 were quite challenging for me and really tested me both mentally and physically. My season is split in two with Vineman 70.3 being an "A" race followed by my other "A" race in November - IMAZ. After the Endurance Nation Memorial Day Epic weekend, I experienced tendinitis in my left knee and had to really dial down/stop working our for a few weeks while I sought treatment. As I slowly started to add mileage on the bike and run (staying away from hills), this put me into the beginning of July. Had a great 10K run on July 4th with a time of 44:03. I was really happy considering my lack of running and mileage up until that point. Followed up the run with a great 30 mile bike ride. It was a big confidence booster as Vineman approached on 7-19-09. Little did I know that later that night I would come down with a really bad flu-like bug that would ground me for 1.5 weeks. Basically, I did not start to feel normal until the Tuesday before the race. God has some weird ways of testing you and the string of events really challenged my ability to "stay in the box," be positive, and re-focus. I already felt unprepared because of my injury, lack of mileage and training time - getting sick just sucked even more!

Prior to the race, the most I had biked was 30 miles and 6 miles on the run. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I knew I had to listen to my body, not be stoopid, and if I just so happen to crush my time from last year then great!

Race Weekend
Kona Geoff Wieczynski and I headed to Santa Rosa on Friday afternoon as we did the previous year. Our first stop was the Russian River for a little swim. Beautiful location, warm water, and sunny. On Saturday, we headed to registration, met up with our friend Jason Crawford, then took a 30 minute ride on the run course. It was mid afternoon and HOT and we new we had to get off our feet ASAP. Prior to joining Endurance Nation, I never really paid too much attention to all the "sizing up" that takes place at the expo. Soooo funny to people watch - all these clean shaven, tri geeks wearing their most bad ass race shirts from last season. We were in and out of the Expo ASAP as per EN protocol.

Saturday night dinner with FMRC then off to the hotel to relax for the big day. Picked up a quad espresso at SBUX for the Sunday morning pre-race pick me up!
Event warmup:

Race Day

Rolled out of the hotel at 5:00 AM and made our way to the swim start which 20 miles away from the finish (two transition areas). Geoff was going off in the second wave so I just hung around since my wave was the second to the last of the day. I knew it was going to be a hot day being in such a late wave.
Swim
  • 34m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Prior to the race, I hadn't been in the water except once during the week before the race. Hadn't been in a wetsuit in over a month. I felt horrible at the start. I seeded myself at the far right by the shore. Breathing was off in the beginning, felt fatigued, and started to cook in my wetsuit like a boiled scrimp! It took me a good 15-18 minutes to get back into my box and regroup. Sighting should not have been an issue with the river being narrow, but I could not swim straight for the life of me. Breathing remained off the whole time as my normal rhythm is every three strokes, but I spent most of the time breathing every two strokes. I was happy to get out of the water and get that wetsuit off! Got stuck behind a slow lady from the prior wave on the way into T1. My swim time was 2:39 slower from the previous year.
What would you do differently?:

practice sighting and swimming in a straight line. Lots of energy was wasted trying to get back on course.
Transition 1
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

T1 was uneventful Since T1 was different from T2, I had to pack up all my stuff into a bag for transport to the finish line. This took a little extra time, but nothing significant. Wetsuit came off fine.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike. I went with the aerobottle in the front with water and a feed bottle on the down tube. Refilled water at each of the three aid stations. The Infinite slurry was perfect with all nutrition coming from liquids on the bike. I also took in 10 Endurolyte pills since it was so hot outside and my excessive sweat rate. The following are the changes made since last year's race from a biking perspective:

-new aero bike & aero wheels that was properly fit
-aero helment
-Endurance Nation Training Protocol

This years time smashed last year by ~24 minutes. Average MPH for 2008 was 17.9 versus 20.5 MPH for 2009. Power data below was within my planned ranges.

Power Data (based on 250 FTP)

Entire workout (190 watts):
Duration: 2:45:08
Work: 1884 kJ
TSS: 181.7 (intensity factor 0.812)
Norm Power: 203
VI: 1.07
Pw:HR: n/a
Pa:HR: n/a
Distance: 56.13 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 731 190 watts
Cadence: 32 246 93 rpm
Speed: 2.2 42.4 20.4 mph
Pace 1:25 26:49 2:57 min/mi
Crank Torque: 0 873 172 lb-in

What would I do differently?

Maybe push a little harder on the downhill sections to get IF up a few points. The break in training had some impact, but my fitness over last year has dramatically improved via Endurance Nation's training protocol.
Transition 2
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

My legs felt good coming off the bike. I was able to get my feet on top of my shoes as I approached the dismount line. It was several hundred yards into T2 and I got stuck behind this slow lady but was eventually able to get around her into T2. No leg cramps as previously experience in other races. This is free time - need to do better with getting the shoes and socks on and getting out on the run course.
Run
  • 2h 09m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a challenging run for me! As I previously stated, the most I had run up until this point was 6 miles. I started off feeling great - legs were not like jello compared to last year and my HR was within the appropriate range. The only difference was the heat and lack of training volume. It was 90+ degrees out on the course with little shade. After the first 6 miles, things just went downhill. I got some cramping in my hamstrings and quads and was running hot. When ice was available it was down my shirt and shorts to cool off. I walked the aid stations and took in 10 Endurolyte pills over the course of the 13 miles. I had to walk at certain points (i.e. hill climbs) to stop the cramping.

My time last year was 1:54:55 and I was quite a bit slower this year (~15 minutes). I will not make excuses with the heat and lack of volume, but it is obvious that I need to work on my run.
Post race
Warm down:

All in all, I had a decent race and more importantly lots of fun with friends! I beat my time last year which is what I was hoping for.

Last updated: 2009-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:50 | 2112 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/330
Overall: 0/2286
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU Full Wetsuit
Course: Rectangular out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:43:33 | 56 miles | 20.54 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:24 | 13.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Rollers with one or two long climbs - out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes