General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
indianapolis, Indiana
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 20s
Overall Rank = 203/555
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/32
Pre-race routine:

Up early for a quick shower and a bite to eat. I loaded all my gear into the Vibe and made the one hour drive to Eagle Creek. Got to the park early, finally found a parking spot and then hiked the mile to transition. I picked up my packet, got marked, and found my way to my rack - racks were assigned by race number - and got setup. I made friends with my rack mates and tried to keep warm in the unseasonably cool weather.
Event warmup:

10 minute easy jog to get the blood flowing.
Swim
  • 12m
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a different start from last year's race. Instead of doing a wading start with waves, they lined us up on shore by race number and started us off a few seconds apart. On the go it was a run over the start mat and down to the water. I've never done a running start before so I just had to wing it. Everyone bunched up right away as folks tried to get to a good depth to start swimming. I was able to find a rhythm early and managed an okay swim. Still have trouble with navigation but I did much better with swimming in a crowd. I didn't let the kicks and bumps bother me too badly.
What would you do differently?:

It's no secret that I suck at OWS. I also haven't been to the pool in well over a month. I was happy to come out of the water in one piece and with the same time as last year. Obviously, it would be ideal to get to the pool on a regular basis and some OWS practice couldn't hurt.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Longish run from the beach to bike. Then another longish run from rack to mount line. I had a heck of a time getting clipped in.

Rank 100/555 so it was an above average transition.
Bike
  • 32m 35s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm a little bit disappointed with my pace on the bike. I was aiming to break 19 mph. Still - I did a good job of pushing myself and staying focused. Had a few scary moments speeding downhill in aero on the curvy roads. Need to work on those handling skills a bit!
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I had a long clomping run in my bike shoes from the dismount to my rack. Then I fumbled getting out of bike shoes and into run shoes. And then I had to make a quick turn back to get my race belt. Not one of my better transitions.

Bring my brain into transition with me.
Run
  • 25m 37s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

It seemed to take me forever to find my legs. It was a rough uphill at the start of the run. I tried to push but just couldn't get moving. By the time I hit the mile marker I was starting to get into a better groove but by then it was already too late. All I could do was push thru to the finish and try to look good for the cameras. :P
Post race
Event comments:

I set myself a goal of beating last year's time and really wanted to come in under 1:10. I managed a 2.5 minute improvement over last year but just didn't have enough to break my time goal. I have plenty of things to improve upon and will keep on working to make next year even faster.

Last updated: 2009-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:00 | 547 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 247/555
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out to first buoy, rt turn, parallel to shore to second buoy, rt turn, back to shore
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:32:35 | 10 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Overall: 216/555
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back course - windy, hilly section out of park to a flat, staight stretch on Lafayette Rd to the turnaround point
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:37 | 03 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 298/555
Performance:
Course: Out and back on the park roads. Uphill on the way out, downhill back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-24 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series

2009-07-24 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2305901

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series
Great job!  And for taking a while to find your legs after the bike, you had a time that I would slaughter women and children for.

2009-07-24 8:43 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Nice job Emily!

2009-07-28 1:57 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Great race Emily! Nice AG placement as well. I think the bike split looked pretty amazing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed