General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the ladies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-24 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
Cambridge, MA
Subject: Question for the ladies
My first (sprint) triathlon is this weekend and I've been training and working through some bricks and such, but still have questions on what to wear. I'm a big girl and don't feel comfortable wearing tri shorts or bike shorts without something covering a little. I've tried transitions involving various clothing options. I won't be using a wetsuit because it won't be necessary and mine is still a bit too tight. 

So, for my question...
Is it an option to bike and run in my swimsuit? I'm concerned about chaffing. I've also given consideration to wearing bike shorts (to absorb some moisture from the suit and my activity) over my suit...I'm sure it will look rediculous, but doable. The same with running...mostly to avoid fat giggle-age. lol.

Any advice?

2009-07-24 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2306817

Subject: RE: Question for the ladies
I think you would feel much more comfortable in tri shorts than doing the whole race in a bathing suit, for both comfort and modesty.  Most important, don't try anything new on race day.  Unless you have trained doing the bike in just a bathing suit -- don't do it during the race.

Honestly, no one will look twice at you if you are in tri shorts - no matter what your size.  That's just standard apparel.  I have seem some ladies put run shorts or even a skirt on over the tri shorts for the bike and run, but it really seems unnecessary.

If you usually bike in bike shorts, it may be worth the extra time in transition to put them on over your bathing suit. 
2009-07-24 7:44 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
First, good luck this weekend ! have a great time and a wonderful race.

You can wear whatever you like ... I don't think a bathing suit would be that comfortable on the bike ... what's wrong with tri shorts and a long tri top ?  I know you said you "don't feel comfortable wearing tri shorts or bike shorts without something covering a little" .. but I'm a little confused. You mean on top ?
2009-07-24 7:48 PM

User image

Regular
Cambridge, MA
Yes...on top of the tight-fitting clothing. I don't own tri shorts, but do own bike shorts. I can transition to them, but still don't feel overly comfortable because I'm a big girl lol. This will hopefully only be my first triathlon and I look forward to actually getting some tri shorts, but right now, it's not at all in my budget   
2009-07-24 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Cambridge, MA
It looks like the best option is going to be take extra time in the transition area to make needed changes in wardrobe, but try not to make it be too much time.
2009-07-24 8:54 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
You'll see women who do the race in their swimsuits, I've seen it at every race. It will only take a few seconds to put bike shorts on after the swim and you won't look ridiculous. Roll them down so when you put your legs through and get them pulled up where you want them, you just roll them up vs pull them over wet skin, it will help. You can put run shorts on for the run still over the swimsuit, if you have run shorts. No need to buy new gear... yet. You'll likely be hooked and want to get yourself some tri shorts to keep it going, the sport is an addiction!

Also, I want to echo what someone else said above, no one would ever look at you and judge you for your size or what you wear. I have found triathlon to be a really accepting sport with a great group of athletes and I've seen every body shape and type at my races. It's one of the things that makes it so great. It's hard to do and we're all out there doing it and there is so much mutual respect.

Good luck!

2009-07-24 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
for my first tri, i was concerned about my body too.  I swam in spandex type bike shorts (no padding) with a long fitted sports top and then put running shorts on over the spandex and a T-shirt.
wow was that a lot of clothing!  my next race i wore a regular swimsuit, and threw on bike shorts and a shirt.  I had no problems biking the sprint distance in a swimsuit and bike shorts.

This year I am swimming in tri shorts and a full coverage sports bar and then i throw a bike  jersey on in transition.  i like the jersey cause it breathes and is very light and keeps me from worrying about needing sunscreen plus it covers up the belly area. 

I got my tri shorts on ebay- i've seen them from $24-30, not too pricey.  The bike jersey I got for $25 on the sale rack of the LBS.  I wear that outfit constantly- it's my only one

good luck!
2009-07-25 1:06 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I got out of the pool the other day and attempted to "throw" on some bike shorts to go for a bike ride right after.  Ha ha ha.  While wet it was extremely difficult to get the tight shorts on.  Therefore, I will be swimming in tri shorts and a sports bra and then throwing a tank top on over my bra when I get on the bike.

About being concerned over your size...don't be.  The tri community seems to be so supportive of all body types.  I am the skinny girl next to you on the start line that you think is so "fit" but that is then huffing and puffing through the run while you are enjoying  your post race drink.  It is not the size, but the grit inside!

Good luck!
2009-07-25 6:41 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
misfit,

I posted an answer over on the weightloss forum, but to sum up....

A complete wardrobe change in transition will most likely NOT be an option (unless your swim is a pool swim and there is a locker room available). In most tri's there will be no place for you to change - so you will probably need to be prepared to finish the race in whatever you swim in. If it's possible to get a pair of tri shorts before your race, that is the best option (does your race have a pre-race expo? You might be able to pick up a a pair there...).

The next best option is probably to wear a NYLON sports bra underneath your bathing suit, and pull on your bike shorts over top when you finish the swim. You can put a shirt on, too, if you will feel more comfortable that way, but as others have said, the tri community welcomes and supports racers in all shapes and sizes!! If you don't think you'll be comfortable running in the padded bike shorts, you could change those in T2 if you prefer, but I think you might be okay finishing the run in your bike shorts....

Good luck!!
2009-07-25 9:27 AM

Hi

I just did my first tri - also I'm "shapely"!  I wore a regular speedo swimsuit witha sports bar underneath.  I then thre on a tshirt and sports shorts.  For a sprint I didn't need bike pants and I was worried about pulling on tight pants over a wet body.  Transition was fast and easy.  You don't need a tri suit!

Best of luck.

2009-07-25 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
My first race is in a few weeks and I struggled with what to wear for a bit too.  I'm still about 30lbs heavier than my goal weight and after having three kids I'm particularly stretch-marked and jiggly.  I ended up deciding to wear tri shorts and a sports bra for the swim then I'll just throw a tech shirt over that for the bike and run.  The way I see it, anyone who judges my jiggle is small-minded.  How are we supposed to lose the weight if we don't work out and how are we supposed to work out in a muumuu?

2009-07-25 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

My whole first season of tri's I wore my bathing suit for the whole event (with a running bra underneath the swim suit).    At T1 I put my running shorts and shirt on over top of my bathing suit and at T2 just switched my bike shoes for my runners.   The following year I got a tri suit, wore it for a few seasons and then this year wore my running clothes under my wetsuit for the swim since I didn't find the tri suit comfortable any more (worked ok, but will get a two piece tri suit for next year).    The seam of your bathing suit might be uncomfortable on the saddle - so be ready to make a few adjustments while riding by yanking it out from under your seat bones.

Edited by Laerka 2009-07-25 10:35 AM
2009-07-25 10:46 AM

New user

Toledo
These posts have been really helpful! I have my first tri sprint tomorrow and I'm kinda freaking out. I was planning on wearing my speedo swim suit and then just pull on my soccer shorts and a tank or T-shirt for the bike and run. I saw some compression shorts that were underarmor brand at the store yesterday and thought about wearing those over/under my swim suit? Any suggestions? Or should I wear my sports bra and compression shorts under my swim suit and then ditch the suit at TI? I do have bike shorts but I just can't imagine running in them, and they are really old. Any suggestions would help!
2009-07-25 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I did my first 7 races in just a swimsuit.  I never used tri shorts or cycling shorts.  (That was a while ago - but you still see people race in their suit.

My last sprint (June 09) I raced in my swimsuit with a pair of running shorts over top.  I didn't have any trouble with chafing or irritation. 

Wear what you think it comfortable and what you will be comfortable in.
2009-07-25 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
I wore my bathing suit, too, although my first tri was a reverse that started with the run. I started with bathing suit and bike shorts and a t-shirt to wear for run and bike and peeled everything off for the swim. But I have done mock tri's from pool to bike to run pulling bike shorts on over wet suit and it wasn't that bad. But then they weren't the real thing, so transition time wasn't that stressful.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the ladies Rss Feed