HFP Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 11s
Overall Rank = 82/84
Age Group = clydesdale 1
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Picked up my packet at noon Saturday. Went to work early so I could leave early and get some sleep.I drank water like it was my job. Didn't sleep very well. Got up at 4:45. Ate 2 pieces of toast with peanutbutter and had a coffee to get me going. Drank a bottle of Gatorade and a water because I was dehydrated not sure why. Met up with Jared and Ryan. I didn't know they were racing today nice supprise. posed for my wife, Carly with the camera.
Kissed her for luck and walked down to the starting ramp.
Event warmup:

Since this was my first tri I was a little unorganized so I asked a lot of questions about the course and how we were to swim it. Used up most of my warmup time talking. Did some light stretching. had to run back to transition and put my bag with my stuff. this is a point to point tri and the race volunteers wanted all of your stuff bagged up before leaving T1 so they could transport it to the finish for you.
Swim
  • 33m 33s
  • 880 meters
  • 03m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started great nice and smooth felt strong for about 200 meters then I'm not sure what happened. It felt like I couldn't get my breath, I started to hyperventilate and got nauseous. went to my back to get my breath.I never got comfortable again I'd swim freestyle for about 100 meters and then I'd zigg zagg the course backstroke. very frustrating because although my logs don't show it I swam a lot in practice. I thought this was my strongest dicipline. stopped to use the porta pot befor I went to my bike.
What would you do differently?:

More ows and with my tri suit and swim cap on. this was all mental.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was figured into the bike so I'm not sure of the time. It felt like I was fairly quick except when I had to pose for the wife and camera. I got a little short with her. Sorry Babe
Bike
  • 1h 11m 23s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 13.03 mile/hr
Comments:

This is by far the worse of the disciplines for me in training. I haven't ridden much at all since I was a kid. That being said I really enjoyed the ride. I was so far back from the swim I was alone for teh first 4 miles. another rider had a flat and didn't have a pump. My race was no longer for time just survival so I stopped and tried to help. unfortunately his spare had a hole in it also so I couldn't help. At about mile 7 I saw another cyclist and set my sights on him. I was having fun Thanking every cop and volunteer I saw. I was joking with them asking if they still thought I had a chance of winning. I caught and passed the rider. that felt good. Some kids were out cheering in a couple of spots I made sure I thanked everyone I saw.I passed another rider about 2 miles out of town. I was feeling pretty good about then. I had to fight to transition. bystanders were standing on the course between the dismount line and the transition entrance.

Bike more. I think I could have pushed more in the beginning but I was still upset from the swim.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

This went well. dropped my helmet grabbed some water. Kissed Carly for luck again.

nothing
Run
  • 43m 23s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I started shuffling along at my normal pace and I was doing pretty well.
I was telling everyone on the return trip that they were looking good almost there. Most of them were trying to motivate me too so it was nice.at about mile 2 I started cramping and I got a stitch in my right side but I knew if I walked or stopped I wouldn't start again. I slowed a little and concentrated on exhaling until the side stitch went away. I had the kids at the water stations throw water on me as I passed. They enjoyed it and it made me feel good for about a 10th of a mile (every little bit helps). I finally made it back to the park and the volunteers were gone? I didn't know where to turn to get to the finish. I asked a lady in the parking lot and she pointed me in the right direction. every thing was marked with orange cones, but for some reason there were cones going across the entrance to the finish so it looked like you weren't supposed to go that way.

get there early enough to scope out the entrances and exits.
run more
Post race
Warm down:

at the finish there were people to take the timing chip and hand out water.
Carly was waiting for me(I'm glad she's so suportive)drank water talked to Jared and Ryan. walked up the hill 3/4 of a mile to the truck. my legs cramped on the run so I had to shorten my stride. It felt good to stretch out walking. Changed and took Carly to lunch before I had to go to work.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training. especially ows. I got a couple of them in and I thought I trained enough, but live and learn.

Event comments:

This being my first race I really don't have anything to compare it to, but I thought it was a little unorganized. A pre race meeting would have helped some and better marking of the bike finish to T2 and the run finish.
overall I had fun. I'll probably run this race again next year but I'll be better prepared.

Last updated: 2009-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:33 | 880 meters | 03m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 83/84
Performance: Bad
Suit: tri suit
Course: rectangular course. clockwise swim around bouys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:23 | 15.5 miles | 13.03 mile/hr
Overall: 80/84
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: rolling hills along the river very scenic. nice ride
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:23 | 04 miles | 10m 51s  min/mile
Overall: 74/84
Performance: Average
Course: out and back along another part of the river partly shaded some rolling hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes